Thread: servint?

servint?

Ok I love how they answer my questions in such detail. I have talked to them a couple of times. Though I have questions for the people who have been with them or are still with them.

1.) How is the network? As in uptime, speed.

2.) Are the servers really fully managed? As I am learning how to manage a server, but not to the full extent of knowing everything to run a server all the way. I might consider doing VPS and learning even more with ServInt.

3.) Over all how happy have you been with ServInt?

4.) For people who are not with them any more why did you leave?

5.) Over all how do you think they perform (1 - 10)? Why?

Speaking from owning a few VPS accounts with them (some more than a year now):
    1) Good, the servers I'm on are quite fast, loads are typically low, and pings are good.
    2) Yes, fully managed. Support typically fast and accurate. Fix it yourself, and if things go pear shaped, they jump right in to bail you out. Good techs.
    3) Quite happy. A few rocky times over the last year, but they came through in the end.
    4) NA
    5) 8 or 9 out of 10, simply because of those past issues, and a few (very few) times when support didn't respond quickly..but let me stress very few once more.
    I like 'em.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

NOTE: I am VPS USER which I think is their specialty. The service will be the same for dedicated.

I have been with them a few years now and I must say I wouldnt even think of moving.

The service is excellent and if you really are getting nervious about a problem pick up the phone (remember that thing)

I am on a $49 a month plan and just one of my domains gets hit 6-7 thousand times an hour on a fairly complex perl/mysql script yet it barely registers.

I think the newer VPS aren't quite as powerful as mine. 2 processors instead of 4 but perhaps the newer processors make up for the difference.

when they say fully managed they mean they will look after the hardware and look after backups etc. (backups not included on dedicated servers)

they are unable to help with specific software issues though. but that's as you would expect.

A cable was cut a while back which brought them down for a period. it was stressful but I believe now they have seperate entry points to their building so a single contractor and a backhoe can't do it again.

Unless you are a really power user a VPS may actually be a good choice

Warning Personal Plug Going <<snipped>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-08-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Great that what I wanted to hear! I believe I will test out a VPS once I get a chance then. Thank you!

1.) How is the network? As in uptime, speed.
    The network's OK, they do have blips here and there which can be annoying. I haven't personally seen any bad performance on their network but, I know others have and they aren't using any tier-1 provider (such as Level 3, AT&T, etc.).

2.) Are the servers really fully managed? As I am learning how to manage a server, but not to the full extent of knowing everything to run a server all the way. I might consider doing VPS and learning even more with ServInt.
    Basically they are fully managed. If you do have an issue you just need to e-mail the NOC and they will take care of it. When I was at ServInt I was in absolutely in love with their support.

3.) Over all how happy have you been with ServInt?
    Pretty happy I suppose, they are one of the better VPS providers.

4.) For people who are not with them any more why did you leave?
    Mainly uptime (on the host node itself), network, and performance. The performance seems to be sorted out now (or so I heard) and the uptime has been better lately (also something that I heard). The network still seems a little inferior to other providers but all companies have their weaknesses. I'm currently with PowerVPS and they're also one of the "better" VPS providers out there. Another company that I want to try is Liquid Web.

5.) Over all how do you think they perform (1 - 10)? Why?
    8. I don't think I need to say why as I've outlined the reasons above in detail.

HTH.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Different views are great. How long ago did you use them? I will also look into PowerVPS. I see they have DirectAdmin which I really want to try out as well. I might try both.

*edit*
    Last edited by Torith; 10-08-2005 at 05:25 PM.

grrr wht slow down and now I have three posts...
    Last edited by Torith; 10-08-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Originally posted by Torith
    Different views are great. How long ago did you use them? I will also look into PowerVPS. I see they have DirectAdmin which I really want to try out as well. I might try both.
    I used ServInt for ~ 9 months IIRC.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business