Ideas wanted for media player that I'm coding

My univeristy has given an assignment which involves coding a media player better then windows media player.

If anyone has an idea which they think would improve a media player then please post it.

Yeah: make it open-source; support lossless codecs like OGG; make it modular, so that developers can implement their own plugins/modules for it to extend the functionality and interface; make it speedy (i.e. don't use VB .NET! ); make it small; make it light. There are more, but I'm too tired to think right now.

When the user hits the print screen key, it should include the freezed frame in the screenshot. There should also be a feature to pause at a specific instance, and save an image with that frame.

Make an option where if the user double clicks a file to be opened in the player, she/he has the option to either open the file, or enqueue it in the playlist.

If you pause, and you want to navigate frame by frame, you should be able to hit the left and right buttons on the keypad to navigate frame by frame.

Automatic codec downloading for when the user doesn't have the codec installed.

Make it use as little ram & cpu as possible.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Yeah: make it open-source; support lossless codecs like OGG; make it modular, so that developers can implement their own plugins/modules for it to extend the functionality and interface; make it speedy (i.e. don't use VB .NET! ); make it small; make it light. There are more, but I'm too tired to think right now.
    I'm required to use vb.net as part of my course to build the player. You gave me a lot of ideas that I hadn't thought about

when you say double click the file to enqueue it do you mean a dialog should appear? I quite like the right mouse button then pressing add to now playing list idea, would be quite annoying if you just want to play one file.

Well, if you plan on having a playlist option. If the user double clicks a file, it should just add it to the end of the playlist. Currently, media player just clears out the playlist, and opens the file.

yeh if there's a file open already, that does annoy me too actually

Originally posted by metronome
    I'm required to use vb.net as part of my course to build the player. You gave me a lot of ideas that I hadn't thought about

Ack! /me runs.

Just kidding. If it goes anywhere, I'll be happy to try it out -- providing it doesn't have any spyware or anything...