I need to perform a task (eg run a script) on a regular basis. Do typical webhost accounts give users cron or something similar? I've never noticed it on an Alabanza panel, but admittedly I haven't looked for it before.

For the most part, you should contact the host to see if they will allow the particular cron job. I've seen some that forbid it, and some that allow it on a case by case basis.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

cpanel3 has the ability for clients to add/edit/delete their own cron jobs. But again, it depends on the type of cron job.

yes, becuase sometimes you check your system resources and somebody is taking up 55% of the server with a rogue cron job

KILL, KILL, KILL

I love that command
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

I took that feature out of cpanel for my clients. Mostly because my clients have no idea what a cron job is, or what they would use it for. If someone requested it, I would gladly offer it to them, after reviewing their intentions and the job to be scheduled.

Like the others have said, most hosts might allow cron jobs if you have a justified reason.
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Quite a few Alabanza hosts don't advertise cron jobs, but if you ask them nicely they're quite happy to setup cron jobs for you (for free). Below $10 Host is one example.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

I run all of my crons that I can at nightime.

Incidently I am just starting with the joys of AT the NT scheduler which is a bit horrible to be honest

9. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!