Thumbs up Australian Court Rules 'Mod Chips' Legal

Thought this might be of some interest to the "gamers" round here.

http://tinyurl.com/ak6ll

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

It was bound to happen sooner or later, it was just a matter of when rather then if.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Please pardon my ignorance but I know very little about play station or xbox or any othergame machine, and I have no desire to ever play one however I do have a question.

As this is a ruling relating to Sony playstations will it have any bearing on Microsofts xbox. Under Australian common law I assume it could be argued that a precidence has been set, however I am unsure if this ruling would cover other situations such as xbox

Thoughts anydody

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    Please pardon my ignorance but I know very little about play station or xbox or any othergame machine, and I have no desire to ever play one however I do have a question.

As this is a ruling relating to Sony playstations will it have any bearing on Microsofts xbox. Under Australian common law I assume it could be argued that a precidence has been set, however I am unsure if this ruling would cover other situations such as xbox

Thoughts anydody

Doc
    No idea... But at least now we know that us here in America will be able to still get our mod chips from Asia via Australia. I just bought a nice Xecuter 3 CE from a place for my Xbox, which will allow me to upgrade the HDD. I plan on putting in a 160GB pretty soon. They're pretty amazing chips, basically all they do is act like an add-on BIOS for the machine which'll let ya do whatever you want with it. Play import games, back-up games you've burned to DVD or saved on the HDD, play downloaded games, record DVDs to it, watch other-region DVDs, record tv shows, etc. Pretty awesome chips all for about $60(US).

I guess it depends whether there is any technical difference in the way the mod chips operate.

Originally posted by varg
    No idea... But at least now we know that us here in America will be able to still get our mod chips from Asia via Australia. I just bought a nice Xecuter 3 CE from a place for my Xbox, which will allow me to upgrade the HDD. I plan on putting in a 160GB pretty soon. They're pretty amazing chips, basically all they do is act like an add-on BIOS for the machine which'll let ya do whatever you want with it. Play import games, back-up games you've burned to DVD or saved on the HDD, play downloaded games, record DVDs to it, watch other-region DVDs, record tv shows, etc. Pretty awesome chips all for about $60(US).

This is as should be. You buy the machine. It now belongs to you, you should be free to modify it in anyway you want. That's why we buy thinks in the first place, so WE can own them.

Power to the people

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?