My idea for hosting business

Hello all,

I am a web developer who is already hosting my clients in a reseller account.

I am planning to open the hosting service to ofer to others, not only my actual clients.

So, since I have a day job in a software house, I am able to check my mails contantly.

My idea then is the following:

- A new site for this new venture

- Full documentation on CPanel

- FAQ with other questions they might have, specially the email issues )

- Forum (I am not sure about this one)

- Help Desk via ticket system

- Payment processors alredy choosen. Billing software still under investigation

I already have a target market and ideas on which services they would benefit from

Now, my goal is to have about 100~150 clients only, since I am a one man show....

Am I right in thinking on this way?

Am I missing something?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Please let me know what you moer experienced guys think.

Note: I am having this 100~150 clients as a goal since after read a lot of topics on WHT, I saw that there is not much support (tickets/day) for this amount of clients...

One problem I foresee is , your employer employs you to work for them, constantly checking your email to support your own business, won't it be unfair to them?

Secondly, 100 - 150 clients is a reasonable goal but it still needs efforts to get them, you need to plan for the advertising to get these clients.

Lastly , if you are planning to continue hosting 100-150 clients on a reseller account, you would need to check if your host is able to cope. Or if you are getting a dedicated server, you will need to get a part time sys admin or support form one of the tech support companies.

Sounds like a decent idea. However just a couple of things.

* You may want to hold off on the forum until you have reached your client goal, as you may turn off potential clients by the lack of posts/support on the forum initially. You could introduce it later as an added bonus to your client base further down the line though, if that is something that you think would interest them.

* For your billing solution, I would suggest going with WHM AutoPilot, as it is a very simple program to understand and install, and will alow you a great level of versatility. Great for automation as well.

* As Boonchuan all ready pointed out, you will need to consider what sort of advertising you will utilize to obtain your clients, one of the more important aspects of this business.

Hope this helps.

Goodydomains.com Support
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.

1 man show can run 1000s of clients if he outsource support only and setup the right automated environment btw
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Thanks for your input so far guys...

I would like to make some comments on what was posted..

<b>boonchuan </b>

I agree 110% regarding the unfairness about the daily email issue. However, as I said, I will not expect to receive many, if any, emails per day regarding help tickets and something like that (and that's why I have the goal for this 100 or so clients, because I saw this on other reports here in the forum).
    Other thing is that I am planning to check perhaps during lunch or coffee time... so I dont think this is an issue..

<b> goodydomains </b>

I am still looking into ways of advertise, but I already have some pointed out... and I can check this out at my work hours when I'll be at home...

<b>Bashar</b>

to me it is not an issue to have the support outsourced right now, but might be thinking on that later...

Anyways.. thanks for the input guys.... and want to hear some more...

regards

Marcos

Re: My idea for hosting business

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcoshac

"my goal is to have about 100~150 clients only, since I am a one man show"

You can do it. Follow the process step by step, get market survey, collect responses, analyze results, write your business plan for that new ventures, manage funds from the reliable resources, add powerful content on your site, gauge your online presence, benchmark your site, select an effective method for advertisement, remember you should select most effective method for advertisement being one man show to get the customers, once you start getting customers you can offer referral program/contest to increase the number....

OK, seems that the plan can work out if I follow it...

One thing I was missing: SiteBuilder...

Is this worth? Could be a good value for my proposition?

regards

Marcos

anyone can help me here??

Some providers offer Sitestudio and charge you a per domain cost. It is usually quite low. This will give your clients an option to use Sitestudio for designing their site.

I think that the decision to purchase site building software for your clients should depend on who you're targeting and who your clients are.

If you're providing hosting to designers, then you probably won't need it.

If you're providing hosting to developers, you may need it, but I'm not sure how much it would actually be used.

If you're providing hosting to non-technical people, etc., it would probably be a good idea to have it.
    Michael MacKinnon

I agree 110% regarding the unfairness about the daily email issue. However, as I said, I will not expect to receive many, if any, emails per day regarding help tickets and something like that (and that's why I have the goal for this 100 or so clients, because I saw this on other reports here in the forum).
    Other thing is that I am planning to check perhaps during lunch or coffee time... so I dont think this is an issue..
    It all depends on your client base, for me, every hundred customers = approximately 1 - 2 support requests per day (that includes email, and phone) So, you could be right on there.

I think the problem is, that your doing to much on your own, I think , personally if you were to get like a few more men helping you, that way, you could take the burden of your mind for a while, and even if you can't come on, other people can help, and to do all this on a reseller isn't very safe, most resellers get shut down after they start hosting about 40-50 people since the server person says that your using to much of the server specs, hence I would think that you would go for a vps, and a few more people helping you, at least 5 if ur gonna get 100 clients and support system

Just make sure to have contingency plans when everything breaks.

99% of the time you will be fine, but what happens if you show up to work at 8am and your hosting goes down or malfunctions for whatever reason? That's what really defines a good host from a bad one (as long as you are properly handling the normal support requests in a decent timeframe). Having someone you can trust (or hire, or both) to take care of major issues during the day on short notice is always a good idea, especially if you go with a VPS or Dedicated solution where your provider will less likely provide software level support.
    No monkey business.

Do yourself a favor, get a fully managed server so you don't have to deal with the sys-admin side of things. I suggest ModernBill to keep everything running smoothely and automated. And a simple ticket system with email piping will do just fine . In my experience, about 5 tickets per week per 100 clients, that is as long as everything is working as it's supposed to be .