• PHPBB2

10 15.15%
  • IPB

19 28.79%
  • vBulletin

37 56.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IPB vs. PHPBB2 vs. vBulletin

My mind is in a constant battle on what forum software would be suitable for my forums and require the opinion of everyone here. It would be most helpful. However, I need to know which one is better because of from what I have heard, IPB and vBulletin are chock filled with features. Please help.

Please do not stick price in your decision, as it is not a factor to me.

Go with vBulletin. It has the best admin panel, the most features, a VERY nice user control panel, great moderator controls, and Version 3.5 is just insane. You won't regret it, I didn't

I voted for vBulletin as well

I also use vBulletin, but you'll likely get a whole lot of different answers here. Really, you need to just go with the software that you prefer!

VBulletin all the way.

PHPbb = too insecure most of the time (getting a bit better)
    IPB = Ugly admin section, some bad threads about it (read with a grain of salt), and just never enjoyed it as a user
    VBulletin = everythingI have wanted and then some
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I voted for IPB because it allows to upload images into the messages, and displays them as thumbnails. This allows to make my posts illustrated.

Also, the smile sets in IPB is far better than in VBulletin.
    Dynamic Systems
    Professional Web Development Solutions!
    www.DySyst.com

vBulletin for me !

I voted for IPB. It have a lot of features and really good security.

I would only consider vBulletin and IPB if your willing to pay for a reliable system. phpBB if you just want a forum with decent features and dont want to pay. But personally i'd suggest you go for vBulletin.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...55#post3271055

My favourite is IPB. The guy who posted earlier about IPB having an ugly Admin CP is mad. Have a look at vBulletin's and IPB's side by side.

vBulletin all the way.

And the guy who posted that that IPB allows thumbnails between the message... vB 3.5 also does that.

AdminCp in vB is fully skinnable btw. Also, The smilies can be changed

If you want a large ammount of users, dont even think about using PHPBB. I would go with vBulletin although a lot of people like IPB, both have great administrative options and are secure. The prices are similar so your best bet is to choose between those two.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

Originally posted by Influx
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...55#post3271055

My favourite is IPB. The guy who posted earlier about IPB having an ugly Admin CP is mad. Have a look at vBulletin's and IPB's side by side.
    How about if I say that you are mad for even saying that IPB is better than vB? Having a different opinion does not give you a right to insult the other person.

Having used both im not sure i can put down which is better.
    Last edited by rackley; 10-08-2005 at 05:37 PM.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Just so you know, some people will tell you that PHPBB is too insecure, vBulletin isn't that secure, etc. When it comes down to it, you should go to their sites & look at their features & decide from there. Any software can be hacked. Some should stop acting like vBulletin can't be touched. It comes down to what board is best for you.

Originally posted by Shaliza
    Just so you know, some people will tell you that PHPBB is too insecure, vBulletin isn't that secure, etc. When it comes down to it, you should go to their sites & look at their features & decide from there. Any software can be hacked. Some should stop acting like vBulletin can't be touched. It comes down to what board is best for you.
    You can not honestly believe that vBulletin has had as many security holes as you find in phpBB. In addition to the number of holes found there is also the issue of how long it takes to have them patched.

IIRC the 2.0.11 bug took 2 weeks+ for a patch to come out.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Nowhere in my post did I say that vBulletin has more holes & I didn't say it doesn't either.

My point is some people act like some scripts are invincible or something. Any script can be hacked. I don't care how good some people think they are. If a hacker wanted to hack vBulletin, PHPBB, IPB, etc., he could. Another thing - some people claim that certain scripts don't have many holes as some others, but a lot of these people did not sit down & actually take the time to look through all the codes. They just go by what others have been saying. They never looked at the coding themselves.

Well the major difference between the two pieces of software (as far as bugs are concerned) is the fact that anybody who feels the need can go ahead and grab a copy of phpBB and view all the source. It is true that one can view all source on VBulletin as well, but to have a copy of the latest edition of VBulletin they are going to need to be able to access the members area generally.

Somebody could give them a copy of it, but I can not see people handing over VBulletin's source so a person can find a hole into their board.

They can also grab nulled copies of the software, but generally speaking that is at least a few releases behind the current stable one.

Now I have not read every line of Vb or phpBB and to be honest I don't plan on it any time soon. I do however keep an eye out for new releases of both pieces of software, and read through the holes as they are found, and I can say it has been my experience and understanding that phpBB has had more bugs, less development, and is overall more prone to holes due to the nature of how one come's about the source code than Vb.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Originally posted by Lord Brar
    How about if I say that you are mad for even saying that IPB is better than vB? Having a different opinion does not give you a right to insult the other person.
    Sorry; I forgot my manners. You can call me mad though.

Like I said, it all comes down to what this person needs. I've used all three boards & have noticed that PHPBB has a crapload more mods than the others & great ones at that.

phpBB has more mods than VBulletin? Have you been to http://www.vbulletin.org ?
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Well there is alot of mods there but i'd say there are more for phpBB.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

So if you take IPB and vBulletin, their latest versions, and put them side by side, what exactly does vBulletin have that IPB doesnt have? or vice versa.

Yes, I have been to that site. PHPBB has more.

Originally posted by Shaliza
    Yes, I have been to that site. PHPBB has more.
    Well I would challenge you to find a couple for phpBB that do not exist for VBulletin if you have some free time to kill one day
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I am very interested in both vBulletin and Invision Power Board. However, I can only choose one and thus require your opinions on these topics so I can see which one suits my needs better.

1- Skinning
    In terms of Skinning, which one do you feel has the best skinnablility? Is it easier to skin with IPB or vBulletin? Why?

2- Management
    I personally tried out the demos of IPB 2.1 Admin Panel and the vBulletin's demo. However, I noticed that IPB's seems to be much more professional than vBulletin and had a much cleaner feel. vBulletin's Admin Control Panel seemed to be a bit sour for my taste. Is there a way to change the style of the skin in vBulletin?

3- Modding
    Both IPB 2.1 and vBulletin seem to have pretty good mods. Which one has more? Is it easier to mod with IPB or vBulletin?

4- Features
    Both software are chock filled with features, so many that some people call a few of them "bloatware". But which one has the most features? Are the features in vBulletin or IPB what you consider to be "bloatware"? Are there features in vBulletin that IPB doesnt have? Are there features in IPB that vBulletin doesn't have?

5- Ease of Use
    In terms of the criteria from the 1st 4 subjects, please tell me what you feel is the ease of use. With many features in both vBulletin and IPB, there comes the fact of the comfortable setting of getting something done. Which has the upside in ease of use?

If you are willing to pay then get vBulletin. IPB changes prices every few weeks and their support is horrible. And vBulletin has much more skins and mods. IPB should be avoided like a plague.

If you don't want to pay then use phpBB.
    Originally posted by phlint
    If you want a large ammount of users, dont even think about using PHPBB.
    http://www.big-boards.com Look at what largest forum on internet uses.

V-Bulletin is much more powerful but more costly as well.

PHPBB can handle a large amount. I guess that was coming from someone who didn't try it.

Originally posted by CyberAlien
    If you are willing to pay then get vBulletin. IPB changes prices every few weeks and their support is horrible.
    I haven't had any problems with their support.

Originally posted by Ariel74
    I haven't had any problems with their support.
    I doubt CyberAlien even has an IPB license.

Originally posted by Influx
    I doubt CyberAlien even has an IPB license.
    I don't have, but few of my clients had. Most of them switched to vBulletin, one to SMF.

vBulletin, i like the easy skins, that nice editor, custom admincp skins. So many fetures, i haven't used them all yet! I've got 3 licences, all copyright removed.

If money is not a problem, vBulletin then.

Should you have no money, phpBB, heavily modded. Takes some time, but it's worth it. Still, if you have the bucks, try vBulletin

With custom designed SMF, with final version of UseBB, with MyBB, with a little moded PunBB and/or some versions of PHPBB, I think that there is no need for choosing a board software that requires a payment for licence.
    Life is too short for 56k!

I can only speak of IPB as I've never had admin experience with a VB board.

Skinning is very easy in IPB it requires you to upload an xml file through the admincp, upload any images that go with that forum (post icons etc) and then add a couple of lines in 1 or 2 files. repeate the last process for any other skins you've installed previously

The admin side of IPB is great, so much better than phpBB in pretty much every area. The features are great (couple more can be installed to make things even easier) the layout is great and it carrys out the professional look from the user side of the forum and enhances it greatly!

Modding is very easy to do on the forum, drop down box for an entire thread or buttons for individual posts.

I suggest you take a look at Invisionise for a huge range of mods to cater for all your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher
    I voted for IPB because it allows to upload images into the messages, and displays them as thumbnails. This allows to make my posts illustrated.

Also, the smile sets in IPB is far better than in VBulletin.
    Vbulletin does that too. And you can dsownload smilies.

IPB just looks much much more sleeker than VBulletin. That's the only deciding factor for most new users really.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowƒax
    IPB just looks much much more sleeker than VBulletin. That's the only deciding factor for most new users really.
    That's a pretty-pretty ignorant statement sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brar
    That's a pretty-pretty ignorant statement sir.
    Re-read the damn quote.

Hypocrite. Most of the people I know find IPB boards to be more sleeker. Just because you don't agree with it, my statement is ignorant? Moron.

Every detail that Vbulletin has, who the hell would care? People would rather have something that looks cool than something that does everything that they will never care for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast