Question How old were you when you wrote your first progam?

17 - high school. Microsoft Basic on DOS 6

8 - I wrote a little pendulum in BASIC on DOS that swung left to right with a little counter beneith it that counted up for each swing.

I started playing with Basic on ZX Spectrum back when I was 8. By following the code form the game "Wall" I made a small guy that was moving left and right as you move the arrows. That was long long time ago.

~8 years old on an apple IIe

i programmed my casio calculators when i was about 13. the atari st when i was 6 didn't really count cause i was just following the instructions.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

I don't code however i'm good in HTML and other small programmings.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Depends what you class as a program really..

I made a simple menu system for my home computer when i was about 8. All it really was was a directory full of .bat files (guessing that doesnt count)

When i was about 9 i remade the menu system in qbasic, so that some options needed a password, it also had sub menus, and a little screensaver (screen changed colour every few seconds when it haddent been used for a certain amount of time and when you pressed space, it let you back to the menu choices.

When i was about 11 i started plaing with visual basic, and wrote some basic programs. if i remember rightly my first program was a little menu program so that all the programs i used a lot where in one file.

When i was 14 i started writing my own version of MSN messenger, but less advanced at the time.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

When I was 13, I started making text games with QBASIC. I also wrote a program for my mom that created a full week's menu of what she could cook for dinner (at her request).

Wrote a basic game on my Timex Sinclair 1000 back in the 80s, a very rudimentary "Space War" style game. No collision detection, scoring or (ha!) entertainment value - but I was proud!

I was 6-7, wrote it in QBasic on my TI-99

My first program was in an Industrial Tech/Shop class in 8th grade (12/13yrs old) for a class assignment. I then fell in love with programming and wrote 13,000 line basic program. A text based adventure game. It was quite fun.

Oh, and this was all in QW_Basic

Guess I'm old school then. Wrote it on an Apple IIe in BASICA, wasn't much, but it was a box that cycled through colors. I was trying to learn about it so I could write an addendum for Montezuma's Revenge on the IIe. Anyone remember that game?
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

About 7 - like most people of my generation in the UK, they had use writing all useless programs on BBC Basic computers.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by Douglas
    Montezuma's Revenge on the IIe. Anyone remember that game?
    Yes! Ladder climbing, jumping... platform game. Loved it! Great game. I owned that game for my Atari computer as well.

serversphere, do you know if there's any updated versions of that now? Either online or for a PC? I'd LOVE to relive some old memories.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

I know they came out with a "Montezuma's Return" a short while ago, but never checked it out. I played the original a couple years ago on a virtual Atari for the PC, but have gotten out of the emulator scene since I've become so busy. If you google "emulator montezuma's" bet you'd find it.

Eight years old seems to be rather common around here...

I did some stuff with this turtle program -- I forget what it was called, but it was some form of Basic, I believe -- when I was 7 or so, but never fully understood what it was I was doing till I was 9 or 10. I learned HTML and Javascript when I was about 10 1/2 and made a website around then for my film production company. Good times.

hmm I think I was about 13 or 14. Wrote it in basic and it wasn't very good

I got a computer when I was 13, never knew how to use one till then !

Started programming in Perl/VB when i was 14. Wrote lots and lots of code.

And yes! I remember getting $100 online at RAC for writing a perl script which I was 14! My first ever earning
    "A brain is a terrible thing to waste"
    Road to Geekdome
    kailashnadh.name

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I did some stuff with this turtle program -- I forget what it was called
    Logo? Lots of variations on that through the years. Forgot to post my age too - which was about 11 or 12. Those who started around 8 - wow! So long ago...

Originally posted by serversphere
    Logo? Lots of variations on that through the years. Forgot to post my age too - which was about 11 or 12. Those who started around 8 - wow! So long ago...
    Yeah. I believe it was Logo. Thanks!

I was 20 or 21 and coded a "child generator" for my RPG in PHP.

http://www.2thextreme.org/Utilities/ChildGen/

About 15, used basic. Made a program that worked out angles of triangles dependin on the input....made my homework soooo easy
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Originally posted by Douglas
    Guess I'm old school then. Wrote it on an Apple IIe in BASICA...

Old school? Here's a bit older school...

18 Freshman year of college. Typed onto punch cards, submitted to the computer operator (in the building that was made to house the computer and accessories and nothing else), where it was then run on a CDC 6400 mainframe. Afterward I picked up my print out on green-bar paper. The language was FORTRAN.

IIRC, that was the first computer I had ever seen.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

I was about 13, and i wrote hello world using microsoft qbasic.

I was 11 - I read the "programming in Basic" and "programming in extended color basic" books that came with my parents' TRS-80 they bought so they could do their college assignments at home and started "doing stuff" with Basic on the TRS-80.

My dad left his assignments laying out (on purpose?) and I would do them for the hell of it, then he'd sometimes turn them in as his own.

2 years later in the 7th grade, when I went to the first regional computer fair (it was a High School competition but they accepted anyone in the 7th grade and above to enter), at his old college, his old instructor was one of the judges, when we were getting pics taken for my 1st place win in all 3 categories I ratted him out to her, I remembered her name from the assignment sheets.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

back in 87-88 i wrote small BASIC program i dont even recall what does it do now lol but it has something todo with numbers

i was 9-10 back then
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

i wrote my first program when i was 15 but i started hacking MS DOS games and users accounts when i was 13 (it was just change Novell network shells)
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

11 - Liberty Basic
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!