Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any unmetered multihomed servers?

Looks like I will have to move some of my sites if the Cogent/Level3 issue is not fixed soon. My current DC is running Cogent only on my unmetered servers.

So my question... Is there any cheap unmetered servers which are not Cogent only? Or what dedicated server host would be cheapest, bandwidth wise?

I'm only looking for alot of bandwidth, support/service is not that important.

Non-Cogent Unmetered

Well, I hate to admit it, but for some of my servers, I am in the same boat as you . For many of my lower-priority customers/applications, I'm using some unmetered Cogent-only boxes just to save some money.

Based on this recent incident, however, I've decided that it's just not worth it to worry about a single provider going down.

Years ago, I switched most of my important high-bandwidth customers/servers to InfoRelay, a multi-homed provider which can get pretty close to Cogent prices. They can't quite hit Cogent prices, but they can get close. I've had just about 0 downtime with them -- none that has been detected by Alerta anyway, and I've always had great service and support. You can visit them at http://www.inforelay.com/ and http://www.100mbpsservers.com/

FYI, I know for a fact that one of their providers went down a few weeks ago for about 1/2 hour. Again, I saw no outage, and neither did Alertra. I e-mailed them the next day about it and they confirmed that their other providers picked up the slack.

I was doing a search trying to see what they're doing now in terms of pricing/specials, and well, you may be in luck... Here is what I have found:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...readid=449754&

This is actually the best pricing I've seen them offer, so I'm not sure if it's the same type of bandwidth that I'm currently using, if it's just a limited special or what the deal is.

I have actually aleady e-mailed them about this, so I have first dibs :-) ... but actually I prefer their main data center in the Washington, DC. area because they have more staff there (I need to ask them if I can get that new pricing in their DC data center!!!). I have several servers there and I've been extremely happy. If you don't need as much support though, their LA location is probably fine for you -- as far as I'm concerned they really know what they're doing, and in my experiences, they've been far more professional than most of the unmetered "cheapie" Cogent providers I've dealt with. They've been treating me well for years, and they've offered me some of the best pricing I've been able to find on truly multi-homed bandwidth.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by PM.

Regards,
    Jason

Edit: Got one of InfoRelay's URLs wrong.
    Last edited by High Mbps Guy; 10-06-2005 at 08:59 AM.

Originally posted by johanl
    . . . Is there any cheap unmetered servers which are not Cogent only? Or what dedicated server host would be cheapest, bandwidth wise? . . .
    I think the OP's questions bear repeating.

Let's see if we can stick to answering him.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Is there any cheap unmetered servers which are not Cogent only? Or what dedicated server host would be cheapest, bandwidth wise?
    Most unmetered servers are cogent only.
    Some unmetered servers will be multi-homed, probably not the cheapest.
    The cheapest unmetered dedicated server host will use Cogent, no doubt about that.
    You will find most of the cheapest Unmetered Servers offers in the Offers forum.

Hope that helps
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Re: Any unmetered multihomed servers?

Looks like I will have to move some of my sites if the Cogent/Level3 issue is not fixed soon. My current DC is running Cogent only on my unmetered servers.

So my question... Is there any cheap unmetered servers which are not Cogent only? Or what dedicated server host would be cheapest, bandwidth wise?

I'm only looking for alot of bandwidth, support/service is not that important.

Cheap is a relative term , do you have a budget in mind for this solution?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I know HiVelocity runs a good shop and uses both Cogent & Level 3 which protects them from the peering issues.

Best of luck to you, I feel your pain!
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    I know HiVelocity runs a good shop and uses both Cogent & Level 3 which protects them from the peering issues.

Best of luck to you, I feel your pain!
    I was told HiVelocity's advertised prices are for Cogent only and multihomed is quite a bit more?

Originally posted by tomld
    I was told HiVelocity's advertised prices are for Cogent only and multihomed is quite a bit more?
    Cogent is primary, but IIRC in cases like this Level 3 is utilized. See for yourself.

http://lg.level3.net

Code:
    Show Level 3 (Philadelphia, PA) Traceroute to hivelocity.net (66.96.81.78)

1 ge-6-0-0.mp1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net (64.159.0.145) 0 msec 28 msec 0 msec
      2 as-2-0.mp1.Tampa1.Level3.net (209.247.11.201) 36 msec 36 msec 60 msec
      3 4.68.104.11 36 msec
        ae-23-56.car3.Tampa1.Level3.net (4.68.104.171) 36 msec
        ae-23-54.car3.Tampa1.Level3.net (4.68.104.107) 36 msec
      4 4.71.0.6 36 msec 36 msec 32 msec
      5 tpa.rt2.hivelocity.net (69.46.31.78) [AS29802 {HVC-AS}] 36 msec 36 msec 252 msec
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Elix, if you don't mind, can you contact HiV support and confirm? I was told still cogent only, multihomed is more even in this situation.

Elix, if you don't mind, can you contact HiV support and confirm? I was told still cogent only, multihomed is more even in this situation.
    I was speaking with Frank just the other day and he said that Level 3 is being used. I'm pretty sure if you e-mail sales again and ask for the manager you will get a better response.

Yes, HiVelocity uses both Level3 and Cogent. Also, IIRC they just did some routing modifications so that everybody can access all parts of their network no matter what route are you coming in from. (And vice versa). Obviously some issues may arise, though they would be isolated. Nothing is flawless, but they have done a good job coping with all of this.

When I emailed sales yesterday I was told that unmetered servers used Cogent only, and you had to go for a metered plan to get the Level3 mix. But it could be that sales weren't updated on this situation.

When I emailed sales yesterday I was told that unmetered servers used Cogent only, and you had to go for a metered plan to get the Level3 mix. But it could be that sales weren't updated on this situation.
    That may be correct in some sense. The unmetered has Cogent as primary and Level 3 for backup and for cases like this. I believe metered is Level 3 primary.

I just talked with HiV tech support again and they confirmed with me their unmetered servers only use Cogent, not even Level3 for a backup. They said to use both you have to pay extra, significantly extra. Their metered servers are multihomed, but not their unmetered, as I was told.

Cogent was their main provider for unmetered servers, but because of the Cogent/Level3 issues, they are routing some unmetered traffic over level3, to prevent any issues with users being unable to connect to the network.

who told you this? Their company must not be on the same page. I was told by sales and tech support that the Cogent problem would straight up affect unmetered users. Never did they mention it would not affect them nor are they routing traffic to level3.

Isn't it a two way street? I mean can't users from cogent not access level3 and level3 users not acces cogent? If so wouldn't you need a third provider to be compatible both ways?

who told you this? Their company must not be on the same page. I was told by sales and tech support that the Cogent problem would straight up affect unmetered users. Never did they mention it would not affect them nor are they routing traffic to level3.

Isn't it a two way street? I mean can't users from cogent not access level3 and level3 users not acces cogent? If so wouldn't you need a third provider to be compatible both ways?
    No you wouldn't, both providers are fine. Users using Level3 can come in using Level 3. Users using Cogent can come in using Cogent. Any other provider works fine with either, thus two providers would be fine.

Gotcha. Hopefully a HiV rep can come on this thread and give official word on how the depeering is affecting their unmetered servers and what they are doing to address it.

Gotcha. Hopefully a HiV rep can come on this thread and give official word on how the depeering is affecting their unmetered servers and what they are doing to address it.
    I hope we're not taking to nicknaming them HIV

Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

I was reading the WHT HiV specials and it says...

BGP Routed Network (Level (3), Cogent) AS29802

Can you explain what this means?

I was reading the WHT HiV specials and it says...

BGP Routed Network (Level (3), Cogent) AS29802

Can you explain what this means?

My understanding was that HIV accepts inbound transit on Level(3) or Cogent but all outbound transit is forced via cogent.

That does not isolate anyone from the cogent/l3 issue what so ever.

There have been very mixed messages, and sometimes very misleading messages from HIV's reps here as well has their resellers about what the DO or DO NOT do in regards to routing, transit etc. That is obvious in this thread with all the misinformation flying around. Even I might be entirely wrong.

It is effecting us , not as much as some , but has been a major pain the in rear. HiVelocity has never claimed to offer our unmetered servers full BGP with Level 3 (although we have been sending alot of traffic via level3 due to this issue in efforts to reduce the impact). During this time we have been doing everything in our power to deliver all clients traffic. Now that it looks like verio is delivering traffic to level3 we have been , and will continue to send traffic via cogent for unmetered clients.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

I'm a novice when it comes to web servers. My main concern is if I order a HiV unmetered server today are 15% (or whatever the number is) of users experiencing trouble going to have trouble accessing my server?

Originally posted by WireSix
    My understanding was that HIV accepts inbound transit on Level(3) or Cogent but all outbound transit is forced via cogent.

That does not isolate anyone from the cogent/l3 issue what so ever.

There have been very mixed messages, and sometimes very misleading messages from HIV's reps here as well has their resellers about what the DO or DO NOT do in regards to routing, transit etc. That is obvious in this thread with all the misinformation flying around. Even I might be entirely wrong.
    Please share with me one of the misleading posts. I am the only rep for HV that posts on this board at this time , any reply you may have read coming from another company would not be a reply from HV on this issue
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Network Speed Test

I'm a novice when it comes to web servers. My main concern is if I order a HiV unmetered server today are 15% (or whatever the number is) of users experiencing trouble going to have trouble accessing my server?

Until the peering issue is fully resolved, there is a very good posibility that single-homed cogent or single-homed level-3 hosted content will have a problem being accessed.

Thats not a problem isolated to HIV, but anyone that is single-homed to those carriers.

IE ServerMatrix-Unmetered, EV1-Unmetered, etc, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast