How to become a reseller of cheaper domain names?

I am looking to continue reselling domain names, but at a more competitive cost.

I am currently a reseller, but I get domains for $10, so I have to charge at least a couple of dollars more to make some money.

I see, and I am told that people can get domain names cheaper. How do I become a reseller without breaking my own back with some crazy sign up costs and so on!

Thanks,
    Craig M.
    Web-Hosting4u - 866.699.9448 Ext. 36
    http://www.web-hosting4u.com
    Twitter:@wh4u

If you do not want to have high start-up costs for reselling domains, I would suggest checking out Directi:

http://www.directi.com/resellers/pricing/

Also you can check out eNom Reseller Program:

http://www.enom.com/resellers/default.asp
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

To make any money purely selling domain names, you are going to have to invest a serious amount in a decent provider, and do a *lot* of registrations and renewals.

Ex. deposit $6950 with enom and be able to register .com domains @ 6.95/year etc.

If you're buying then in @ 10$ you might just need a free 8.95 sub-account - which will start to save you a buck a domain, but as siad, the best deals will come from the big initial investments
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I've just searched eBay and was quite lucky. Just check here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5814723844

This is quite rare occasion to buy a 6.95 eNom account for this kind of money. Usually they are priced USD500+.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way connected with the seller. You'll purchase this item at your own risk. Etc etc etc.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

you can find 6.95 enom accounts for USD200+ at wht

If you are looking to go just cheap with limited add ons, directi would be OK
    Domain Maven

You can get free 8.95 enom accounts through a few WHT members
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by othellotech
    To make any money purely selling domain names, you are going to have to invest a serious amount in a decent provider, and do a *lot* of registrations and renewals.

Ex. deposit $6950 with enom and be able to register .com domains @ 6.95/year etc.

If you're buying then in @ 10$ you might just need a free 8.95 sub-account - which will start to save you a buck a domain, but as siad, the best deals will come from the big initial investments
    Thanks for the advice. You know, I really do not attempt to make any money off them, I currently make $2.00 per domain, thing is, I would not mind just selling domains to those who visited and wanted it.

What usually happens is someone wants a web hosting account and they purchase a domain name out of convenience. I have built a report with a few clients who seem to use me pretty regularly, but for the most part, the new hosting client will by a domain.

Many times I just give them away for free when you sign up for 1 yr. People seem to like this, then in yr 2, if they stay with my hosting I usually retain the domain name purchase.

I'm going to keep looking around though.....

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond with advice!

Have a great weekend.
    Craig M.

Originally posted by slingshot
    Thanks for the advice. You know, I really do not attempt to make any money off them, I currently make $2.00 per domain, thing is, I would not mind just selling domains to those who visited and wanted it.

$2 is lot of money for profit

Wow! No Kidding???Who would have thunk it! Maybe I will have a price reduction then.
    Craig M.

Originally posted by dmaven
    You can get free 8.95 enom accounts through a few WHT members
    i honetly do not understand WHY someone would want a 8.95 reseller account when you can buy domains all day long for 8.88 (namecheap) and less everywhere!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by Geni-Site.com
    i honetly do not understand WHY someone would want a 8.95 reseller account when you can buy domains all day long for 8.88 (namecheap) and less everywhere!
    With namecheap and everywhere you don't have reselling capabilities. Perhaps that's why...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

hmm, i gues, but they do have subaccounts that you can designate for your clients. unless you are doing a real high volume (or are just lazy) it is just as easy to automate your process, but then to make the purchase manually. even better for fraud reasons too.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

do not understand WHY someone would want a 8.95 reseller account
    Because they want to automate the domain registrations, or use the api, or integrate it with their website ?

Because they want their own business details shown on the whois not namecheaps (or other registrar)

Not everyone is *obsessed* by the headline price, most care about reliability, control, support etc ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Originally posted by solidar
    $2 is lot of money for profit
    I wouldn't answer the phone for that , for a kid making sweetie money maybe but unless you are turning over huge volumes then $2 is more a liability than a profit.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

A Liability? How is that?
    Craig M.

A Liability? How is that?
    Can you service a customer and a domain properly for $2 and still make a profit? can you provide proper support services and infrastructure for $2 profit? if not it is a liability

If you have 500 domains with a $2 profit - gross = $1000, take off the cost of your computer equipment, your telephone calls, stationary, finance charges, bad debt, taxation, now include the cost of your time maintaining systems, support and running the business and you have a sale that is a liability in its own right and a drain on other profits. I am well aware that some will use domains as a loss leader but it still does not stop the fact that a $2 profit is probably for "most" a liability.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Well, I can see your point then, however I am a small operation and I also offer web-hosting.

I certainly do see your point, however, again, with competitors banging out domains for $6.95, I am not what you call your most popular choice. People who decide to host with me and do not have a domain name usually will purchase one from me. One Stop Shopping, which makes it easier for the customer.

Let me ask the forum, as we move the topic around a bit. If the company with initials NS is still charing $35 a yr for domains, why are people going there? Reputable? Name Branding by that company?

Thoughts? Humble Opinions?
    Craig M.

If the company with initials NS is still charing $35 a yr for domains, why are people going there? Reputable? Name Branding by that company?

Thoughts? Humble Opinions? [/B]
    It's good question .
    1 - NS was the 1st registrar to offer domain registration , so they have many customers
    2- They still have huge traffic Just Google for "domain registration" and see who will be at the top.
    The traffic is the most important factor , if you have such huge traffic you can charge whatever you want .
    Thanks
    eNom very discounted reseller / retail accounts (Click here )

Rare 2 , 3 char / letter domains for sale ( Click here )