Apache - High Memory Usage

Kind of an odd problem but I'm moving my stuff to a new server and for some reason Apache is using a lot more memory on the new server than on the old server.

I'm hosting the same web sites and (I think) I have all the same software installed. Both running Fedora Core 4. The new server is running the 64 bit Linux. The new server is a dual core athlon - the old has 2 Xeon CPUs. Both have 4 gigs of ram.

On the new server running top it shows:

virt 201m
    res 53m
    shr 11m

On the old server:

virt: 50k
    res 14m
    shr 10k

So - what am I missing? Why is the new server using so much more ram?

Did you secure up the new server right away? Perhaps someone got in there before you had a chance.

Download and run Chkrootkit and Rootkithunter to see if you have been rooted. Someone could be running some maclicious stuff on your box which is hidden from ps or top so you will not see it.

Thats where I would start if I were you.

C
    Mega Hosters Inc. - The Last Host You Will Ever Need!
    Hsphere Control Panel, 24/7 Phone Support, EasyApp, Shared SSL, Daily Backups, Dedicated IPs, PHP4 & PHP5, FFMPEG, Legal Adult Content Allowed + More!
    Treating A Customer The Way They Should Be Treated For Over 5.5 Years Now!

That's not it. I'm sure it's a configuration issue - something I installed or didn't install. I just can't figure out what.

Ok... None the less install those two programs and set them up a cron job to run each night and email you the reports.

C
    Mega Hosters Inc. - The Last Host You Will Ever Need!
    Hsphere Control Panel, 24/7 Phone Support, EasyApp, Shared SSL, Daily Backups, Dedicated IPs, PHP4 & PHP5, FFMPEG, Legal Adult Content Allowed + More!
    Treating A Customer The Way They Should Be Treated For Over 5.5 Years Now!

While there is a plethora of Windows spyware, virus checkers, what is there for Linux? I'll check out the above listed rootkit hunters as well.

It's more likely a change in apache version or config. Espcially if you're config is loading more modules than before. The executable size of apache can be drastically reduced by commenting out unneeded modules in httpd.conf That goes modules that aren't dependencies of other modules.
    bigwrench

Thanks - I'll look into that. I'm wondering if I have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit modules?