FREEBSD 6.0 -- OK to use as a server as soon as released?

Hi,

What are your thoughts on using FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on a public server as soon as it's released? It will likely be out sometime this month.

I'll build and deploy my **first** public server using FreeBSD with Perl 5.8.7 and PostgreSQL 8.0.3. Security is **very** important to me in choosing an OS for this server (thus this thread).

If you wouldn't use it right away, how long -- or what -- would you wait for? And in the meantime, would you stick with 4.11 or 5.4?

Thanks a bunch!!

I wouldn't use it right away. I never use .0 releases of operating systems, as they tend to be the first wide usage of that build. I would wait til atleast 6.1 is out.

Re: FREEBSD 6.0 -- OK to use as a server as soon as released?

Originally posted by stlouislouis
    What are your thoughts on using FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on a public server as soon as it's released?
    That's what I'm going to do. Some of my non-public servers are already running 6.0-BETA3.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

I am running 4-5 production servers on BETA2 and BETA3 all running rock stable. (less problems then 5.4-RELEASE-pX)
    http://www.easyisp.no

Just wanted to say....

Thanks one and all for your help and info on this! I very much appreciate it.

Thanks again and take care,

Louis

I like to get latest version installed on my non-cpanel servers.

Got v5.4 in a week after it released even though data center told its better to stay with 5.3 and upgraded existing FreeBSD 5.3 to 5.4 with cperciva's tutorial.

For me new version will always work more efficient (not MS Windows, for that, i will surely wait) and if there any bug will get with out much delay. But if you are using Cpanel, then better wait for them to support the version and fix any possible bugs.

I would *test8 first to see if you will run into any problems. moving from 4-5 caused some problems at the company I was at at the time, as well as 5.1 > 5.2 (I believe it was) If you have a spare machine to throw 6 on and test, do that before running it inproduction just to be safe. All that aside, I went from 4 to 5 as soon as I could, and I'll be turning up a 6 test box when I get home =)