Any experiences with FortiGate appliances?

Does anyone have any experience with the FortiGate firewall/IPS devices made by Fortinet? My understanding is that the guy that started NetScreen founded Fortinet, and that the product is ASIC based. Reviews seem fairly positive from what I've been able to find on Google.

We are looking for something that does firewalling, IDS/IPS, and limited traffic shaping/accounting for our Data Center clients. It would be replacing a few Pix 520's and an ETINC bandwidth management device. Pricing is a consideration, and the FortiGate's seem fairly affordable.

Any experiences with FortiGate or competing products in a Co-lo/Data Center environment would be appreciated.

--Mike

we use a device made by toplayer and have had pretty good luck with that.

that might be something you should look into ...

I have experience with Fortigate. We use a Fortigate 200 at work. The owner bought it maybe 1 or 2 years ago. I personally like it. It's easy to configure and it works well for our setup (webservers/datacenter). The only issue we have is during udp flood attacks it gets knocked offline but I think it's just underpowered for our growth (quite a few servers behind it). We are in the process of upgrading and we bought a SonicWall. The SonicWall has some nice features and they are affordable as well. The only thing is that the Sonicwall seems better suited for office setups.It's got power it's just that it's picky about things like using more then one Class C on your interior network, etc. The Fortigate doesn't have those issues.

The Sonicwall people tell us that for our additional class C's we have to have static routes setup via the router (which is a major pain). I'm sure it would be right for some uses but we have a fairly large operation. If all you had was a single class c I'm guessing you wouldn't have to do all the extra router stuff.

Anyway, I would recommend Fortigate I like their product especially for web hosting just make sure to buy something bigger then what your needs are as there is nothing worse then spending money on something that you outgrow quickly. And don't just go by the traffic rating max, it may say it handles 100Mbps but the main thing I would look at is the amount of connections it can handle per second. That's my 2 cents. Hope that's helpful.

Fortigate - that's like having a Netscreen only 5 years back!
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

We have manage several servers behind a fortigate. The first 12 months, I'm not sure if the fortigate was misconfigured or just buggy, but there were many issues which were ultimately caused by the fortigate being flakey.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.