Who offers remote serial console access?

Hi,

I'm looking for a host that can provide remote serial console access to my server so that I still have the ability to administer my server in the event of sshd going down or other similar problems (I'll be running FreeBSD 5).

At the moment I'm looking at voxel. Does anyone have much experience with them? Good? Bad?

What other companies are out there that could meet my needs?

Thanks,
    Ben

I second the first part of the question: "host that can provide remote serial console access to my server"

Thanks svdorr.

I checked the ev1's web site and forum but couldn't find how any info on much it costs to add a serial console to your package.

It's available for free on all dedicated servers. Look at the main page and towards the top upper left hand corner, move your mouse over Remote Console.

Wow that's awesome - they should make that more prominent.

I believe GNAX also has it with their servers... Although you might want to send them an email and double check.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

At a moment I thought I was blind then remembered I had Flash disabled in Firefox. Turning on Flash support makes the whole remote console thingie visible.

offtop: I hate usability of 99.9% of hosting companies' web sites. Why they never hire a professional and SEO-aware designer?/offtop

Anyway, any other suggestions for hosting companies offering remote consoles? I'm checkin GNAX right now.

you might want to look at xilogix.com they also have very good live support/sales via IRC on there private support network just talk to Cary aka pointy

Checked xilogix. That's way too expensive for my needs.
    An upgrade from 400GB to 1000 GB monthly transfer for +$250/month... I would rather go with gigeservers.com (10Mbps unmetered channel for $150/month)

[update] sorry, I feel I tend to offtop in this thread. I'm shutting up until there is something related to the subject of the thread.

I would recommend EV1, there support is excellent, network is top notch.
    System Administrator

Gnax offers free serial port service with all dual processor machines. Go to www.tranxactglobal.com to sign up. this is their in house dedicated server operation.

[... nevermind ...]

LT offers KVM over IP for $30/day.

Originally posted by dex101
    LT offers KVM over IP for $30/day.
    I hope you mean a month

Originally posted by BSD2
    I hope you mean a month
    Nope.
    We are now offering a KVM over IP rental service for all our clients at both DC's the service pricing is as following.

24 Hour Rental - $30.00
    This will allow you to have full control of your server down to the BIOS level to debug problems or configure your server OS.
    https://support.layeredtech.com/home/

That is utterly useless for the OP's needs, he wanted it as a means to prevent having to get the DC to do anything so that he could sort an sshd crash himself.

That is utterly useless for the OP's needs, he wanted it as a means to prevent having to get the DC to do anything so that he could sort an sshd crash himself.
    how is that useless? If he's crashing SSHD daily he needs to hire an admin. Serial/remote access that way should be a LAST RESORT, which is how LT sell's it. If you need more than 24hours of KVM access then you should probably just restore from backup anyways.

Re: Who offers remote serial console access?

Originally posted by benmyles
    [B]I'm looking for a host that can provide remote serial console access to my server so that I still have the ability to administer my server in the event of sshd going down or other similar problems (I'll be running FreeBSD 5).
    [B]
    Look at what the OP says before you comment. He wants it as a means of administering the server if something does go wrong, without the need to wait for LT to enable it for 24 hours.

Thanks for all the replies people. I've already found a solution now, but I'll add some comments anyway:

I agree 24 hour KVM over IP access is theoretically all that's needed (things shouldn't go wrong all that often); however - when you're running critical sites that need maximum uptime it helps bring peace of mind to know you have a serial console always available.

In my case I'm implementing a highly customised FreeBSD configuration, and during the configuration phase it's nice to have the serial console backup in case something goes wrong.

Re: Re: Who offers remote serial console access?

Look at what the OP says before you comment. He wants it as a means of administering the server if something does go wrong, without the need to wait for LT to enable it for 24 hours.
    #1 LT is staffed 24/7, I would bet the "wait" would be less than 5 minutes if there were one at all.

#2 I'd be shocked if LT didn't have an automated system to enable and disable it.

#1 Wait is usually a few hours.

#2 As far as I'm aware they physically plug the unit into the server (AdderLink KVMs). So its NOT an automated process.