hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Help me pick a motherboard - please :).

Forum Jump

Help me pick a motherboard - please :).

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Can someone help me choose a motherboard .

I've got a budget of around £130 (Can swing to £150 if needed) the website is done in pounds so that should help.

http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk/acatalog/

It's to fit in this case - ATX Midi Tower H-01

Oh and a recommendation on cpu would be nice too .

Thanks for any help given .

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

What's it for? Home PC, gaming station, server??

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well intended for general use really at first. Just surfing the net, Might put paintshop or photoshop on it but nothing too fancy. If i need it for much more i'll upgrade at a later stage .. could call it a home PC.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Celerons or Durons are pretty amazing in value. Fast and inexpensive. I don't know much about AMD related motherboards. I have an Abit BE6-II with a Celeron 566 (overclocked to 850) and it's more than enough for any application I run. The Abit board goes for about $190 Canadian dollars, so you should have no problems affording it.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Thats only £85 in uk currency. I'm guessing a 650mhz processor would be enough for what i want?.

The pc i'm on now is old its about 3 years old and runs on 166mhz and i find that fast.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Oh yeah, 650 will be fine. Just make sure to get a minimum of 128 MB of ram. Any less and it won't matter how fast your processor is.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I've currently got 64 i think guess i'll buy another block of 64 then i should be fine?

Old
Web Hosting Master

yep, get more ram. Otherwise you won't benefit from the increased processor speed as much as you should.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I would suggest a brand new 128 ram, since your current 64 ram is most likely 66 mhz.

a 64 ram for that will be hard to find, and probably almost as expensive as a 128 ram @ 100/133mhz

And yes, ram is definately the thing to invest on if you plan to do some graphic design... I have 256 and windows manage to eat 150mb just to start IE :p

Old
Web Hosting Master

The current 64 i have is not in a machine. It's still in its box. So guess more cash to fork out.

Old
Web Hosting Master

With AMD processors, I believe Asus motherboards are reasonable, though they aren't *the* best on the market (my comp's running a K6-2/350 with an Asus and it's doing OK).

Though the more RAM you have the better obviously.... Though don't use so much that Win98 can't handle the extra RAM

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Gotta watch the RAM if you're doing much with graphics. Careful on the DIMM slots so you don't wind up eating expensive RAM later if you upgrade...

Old
Web Hosting Master

So would 128mb ram be good enough?.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I find 128M plenty on most systems... though I do usually buck up to 256K or more on the systems where I do intensive graphical work, and often a full 1G on our development systems.

For most uses, though, on a 600MHz or better board with a decent graphics card (16M minimum) and a fast bus, 128M system RAM is just dandy-fine-plenty, really.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yeah, 128 MB is good for 90% of tasks. But like others have stated, if you're going to be doing a lot of graphic design and/or heavy gaming (Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc....) 256 is even sweeter.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ResellerClub Presents HostingCon India in Mumbai this Week Web Hosting News 2014-12-09 13:41:44
Green Data Center Conference Web Hosting Events 2014-11-11 17:01:04
Website Shows How Metadata Can be Used and Abused by Plotting Out 1 Million Cat Photos Blog 2014-07-23 12:38:59
HealthCare.gov Lead Contractor CGI Federal to be Dropped for Accenture Web Hosting News 2014-01-14 09:23:00
Open Compute Project Brings Rivals Together to Develop Server Motherboard Web Hosting News 2013-01-16 17:11:58