Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drinking your own urine...

This is a funny but really cool article (one of the reasons I love Wired magazine):

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/urine.html

NASA desperately needs this technology. Water makes for a heavy - and expensive - payload. Over the past five years, the agency has spent $60 million delivering potable water to the International Space Station on the space shuttle (6 tons at a cost of about $40,000 per gallon). Deploying the Water Recovery System on the ISS will cut the volume of water hauled into space by two-thirds and free up enough room on the shuttle for four more astronauts.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I cant imagine some1 drinking that stuff

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

sad thing is that some people really do drink their urine. very nasty - disgusting yuk.

theres also the scat people out there as well.

yes - some very disturbed people.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

My ex-neighbour used to drink his own urine when I was at his house.

Originally posted by sailor
    sad thing is that some people really do drink their urine. very nasty - disgusting yuk.

theres also the scat people out there as well.

yes - some very disturbed people.
    I remember reading something about some cultures who do drink their own urine. There's supposed to be health benefits to that.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Hostex Australia
    My ex-neighbour used to drink his own urine when I was at his house.
    Did he get it from the fridge, or did he just pour it straight from the, errrr, tap, into his cup?

I guess if it's filtered well it would be okay. I'm sure if I really knew what was in city water I wouldn't drink it.

what do you think comes out of your tap everyday? Why not visit a water reclamation facility in your town and see.

If they were able to recycle urine in Waterworld, I don't see why NASA can't do the same.
    ••If one picture is worth a thousand words, what is the value of an entire movie?••
    ••Check out our flash tutorials here ••
    http://www.ivialis.com
    sales@ivialis.com

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Did he get it from the fridge, or did he just pour it straight from the, errrr, tap, into his cup?
    He was just a little kid. He would piddle into a cup, drink it, and then make the classic "aaah" sound and put the glass down. Probably goes to show you why he is now an ex neighbour (i got the hell away from there )

Very interesting.

In Russia they developed technology called "Waste Liquid Purification" or something like that, it turns Urine into Drinking water. Was on Discovery channel or something was interesting. Even though it no longer tasted like Urine when the space peepole would drink it, they weren't exactly eager and made unusual faces after doing so.

Although I certainly wouldn't do in on a daily basis as a normality, I do know several people who have *had* to drink their own urine when out in the wilderness, in order to survive, bare in mind these people could well have ended up in a life threatening situation if they didn't.

I have never had to do it myself, for the simple fact I much prefer to take a few extra litres of water to drink and suffer the extra weight in my rucksack, or drink disgusting chlorinated water using water purification tablets to purify river water, I would certainly drink my own urine though if I had to survive, from what I hear it isn't all that bad.

If we were talking about drinking the coal from your campfire to make yourself vomit in order to get rid of a stomach infection, well, then I would totally agree that that is far from nice, I have had to do it once, it took over an hour for my body to finally accept that it was going down, before then I simply couldn't get it down.

I remember reading something about some cultures who do drink their own urine. There's supposed to be health benefits to that.
    Human Waste product can never be healthy to a human, that's why they are "waste" products.

Uh now i would say leave if he gonna do that lol, sick people, must taste good
    Originally posted by esh
    what do you think comes out of your tap everyday? Why not visit a water reclamation facility in your town and see.
    I didnt know there was one where i live localy i know where a resevor is though.

In my town, the council wants to introduce recycled sewage water back into the system. No freakin way I'll be drinking recycled sewage water!

In my town, the council wants to introduce recycled sewage water back into the system. No freakin way I'll be drinking recycled sewage water!
    you mean join the countless number of other cities that use it? oh noes pure water!

That is nothing new.

Singapore as a nation drinks their own urine + whatever waste they can recover. They call it newater.

Google for more info
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Some of you need to read the article more closely:

1. This is not about sickos drinking their own urine.
    2. Nobody is claiming that this is the first time it has been done. Reverse Osmosis Purification Units (ROPU) have been around for decades to make drinking water out of the most vile and briny water imaginable.

What is new about this system is how small, portable, and cheap it is. Did you read the part where they can make enough water in a month for a whole village with a foot pump? That's pretty dang remarkable and has some great implications for clean water in developing countries.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

i'm sure everyone has drank reclaimed water at some point and not even known it.... people just seem to think the lakes are endless or something.

We're all drinking everyone else's piss right now, it's not a big deal.

Yah ... there was a CSI episode about this ... nasty if you ask me.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

that is a very sickening thought.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

that is just nasty.

Normal urine should be sterile when it leaves the bladder. Not all urine is sterile. Some viruses, including Hepatitis A can be spread through the urine. Bladder infections can produce urine full of bacteria. It's probably a major reason why we have evolved to not want to drink urine.
    If you were in a desperate situation with no water supply, could you survive by drinking your own urine? Maybe a little while, but probably not very long. With each pass the urine would become more concentrated, and at some point this has got to be counterproductive to survival.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast