Question Need Good Message Forum

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm looking for a good message board forum. I've used Webbbs in the past but I want to have multiple forums.

I upgraded my server with my hosting company (Interland )
    but I've yet to find anything which will run on the new server. I'm tied to a Windows platform due to the need to use MS Access with part of the website.

I'm currently on a server which supports PHP, Windows 2003 IIS6.0 and MS SQL 7/2000. I've been trying for 2 weeks to get PHPBB installed with no luck. I've gotten next to zero help from their support group.

Are there any other packages out there I should be looking at. Most appear to use MySQL (which I can't get unless I go to Linix which I can't due to MS Access needs). I need one which will work with MS SQL.

Any other Interland Windows people with suggestions?

Thanks!

i'd recommend www.webwizforums.com

its access and MSSQL conpatible.

it is possible to run mySQL, and php on a windows box.

also phpbb.
    Last edited by E:magine - Aaron; 08-04-2005 at 04:47 PM.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

You can intsall MySQL on a Windows machine. Have you tried that?

Edit: Oops, looks like Aaron beat me to it :-)
    Steven Eppler
    Eppler Software Hosting
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable

I'd love to run MySQL but Interland will only run that on a Linux platform (see my reason for staying on Windows). I have no access to install it on their servers.

VBulletin is MySQL only. I'm needing MS SQL.

I'll look at webwizforums.com.

Oh ok, I didn't realize you didn't have terminal services access to the machine.

Good luck!
    Steven Eppler
    Eppler Software Hosting
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable

www.phpbb.com is what we use best of luck gilbert
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by gilbert
    phpbb.com is what we use best of luck gilbert
    PHPBB is what I'd like to use but I've had 0 luck with the install. I've tried posting on their support forums with no luck as well. I expected big things from PHPBB but they've been disappointing in help with my install problem.

It depends if you are looking for a free one or willing to pay. I don't know any free ones but IPB or vbulletin are the best.

Originally posted by Sting13
    It depends if you are looking for a free one or willing to pay. I don't know any free ones but IPB or vbulletin are the best.
    I've looked at both IPB and VBulletin. They are both MySQL which I can't run.

Oh, i missed that part, sorry. Why don't you just get one like proboards.com or something and register to get rid of ads. Its your best shot without mysql.

I would also suggest WebWizForums.

Check http://forum.snitz.com as well.

Hi,

Invision do indeed support MS SQL, but it does come at a price, $60 US to be exact. Check out http://www.invisionboard.com/act.ips/download where you can purchase IPB and the MS SQL driver.

Another thing, have you considered purchasing a cheap Linux plan on top of your current Windows plan, then purchasing a domain that goes something like "Yourwebsitenamehereforums.com". This works well, and will stop you needing to pay out a hefty initial lump sum just to get a forum running on your site, this way you could run PHPBB and save on an IPB license, although I am not really a fan of it.

Regards,
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

If you haven't you need to register on phpBB.com for support or try the IRC channel.

See http://www.phpbb.com/support/ for more information

Originally posted by gatorman
    PHPBB is what I'd like to use but I've had 0 luck with the install. I've tried posting on their support forums with no luck as well. I expected big things from PHPBB but they've been disappointing in help with my install problem.
    Do you need some help with the installation part (files, etc..) or the MS SQL part?

http://www.simplemachines.org/

this is the free and powerfull way
    Kind regards

Originally posted by AHS_Wrestler
    Do you need some help with the installation part (files, etc..) or the MS SQL part?
    I've FTPed the files to my site and tried running the install step but it keeps getting an error. I don't know how to debug the script to see if the error is on the hosting side or not. I've posted on their site for help but no one has come up with a solution.

I thought it was such a simple process.

Just keep contacting them and they should eventually give you an answer If not, they have VERY bad support.

Originally posted by Sting13
    Just keep contacting them and they should eventually give you an answer If not, they have VERY bad support.
    Interland (the hosting company) won't have anything to do with 3rd party software so the burden falls back on ME to figure out what is wrong with the way they have their servers configured.

I know once the install is done, I can work with everything else. It's just getting past the first problem:

An error has occurred during installation
    An error occurred trying to update the database
    Changed database context to "GFOACC"

This tells me a whole lot and my questions to the PHPBB community have gone unanswered.

is this though a installer, or a fresh uplaod

ie you downloaded the application and installed it or is it a one click install (ment to be)
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

Interland (the hosting company) won't have anything to do with 3rd party software so the burden falls back on ME to figure out what is wrong with the way they have their servers configured.

I know once the install is done, I can work with everything else. It's just getting past the first problem:

An error has occurred during installation
    An error occurred trying to update the database
    Changed database context to "GFOACC"

This tells me a whole lot and my questions to the PHPBB community have gone unanswered.
    I didn't know that. =o