Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Troubles At Micfo?

Anybody here have an account at Micfo.com?

I was quite happy with their service for months, and was recommending them in all my forums.

Service has been going down hill the last month. You too? Micfo offers no explanation of the big picture, so I'm here fishing for gossip.

All my sites down this morning.

Which specific site?

I don't have any personal experience with them so I can't really comment about their downward slope!

Hi,

I'd recommend using a free uptime monitoring service and set it to check your website, there are quite a few similar services.

Let us know some more specific details about this, cheers.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

OK, I mailed Micfo support, and my sites are now back up.

Micfo really does provide fast replies to support questions, I've been impressed with that. Probably the fastest support replies I've seen in 10 years on the Net. And free Urchin stats is wonderful.

But they seem incapable of monitoring their servers, I am continually (every few days) alerting them to a server overload of one kind or another.

And they are incapable of any kind of communication beyond "we fixed it".

As best I can tell, squirreldog is just going to have to build his nest in another tree before too long.

I spoke too soon, my sites are down again.

Which specific site?
    Yes, it would be good to know that bit of info.

Sorry to hear your troubles. My site with them has almost zero downtime according to Host-tracker.

http://host-tracker.com/site-uptime-statistics/13510/
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Perhaps this is a more productive question, that would serve more people.

I chose Micfo based on good reports here (which I can understand given the fast support response) and because of free Urchin stats. I actually started my previous search for a host at the Urchin site.

I don't care for the stats packages offered for free within Cpanel, and Urchin seems too expensive for either me or hosts to purchase. Not sure how Micfo does it, but I tip my hat to them for the free Urchin stats.

Point being, instead of limiting my host choices based on what stats they offer, I need to find a stats package I like, and take it with me wherever I go.

One kind host (thanks Tina!) suggested http://alterwind.com, which really does look like a good solution for most people. It's a desktop Windows app, you pay for it once, and use it to process any logs you want. The stats aren't as pretty as Urchin, but that quibble aside, they do seem quite similar to Urchin otherwise, and I think I could be happy with them. Except that I'm a Mac/Unix guy, not a Windows user.

Obviously, I need to learn more about stats. If your time permits, I'd welcome an education. What's an affordable alternative to Urchin? Unix CGI, or Mac.

Thanks!

I haven't had any issues, according to SiteUpTime the only downtime my site had in the last month was the announced downtime to update the server.

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...6&UserId=12323
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    Sorry to hear your troubles. My site with them has almost zero downtime according to Host-tracker.
    I don't think any of the Micfo servers have 100% uptime, according to their own uptime stats.

Trau,
    You check any of the Micfo's server uptime @ http :// mg-YOURSERVERNAME.micfo. com.

squirreldog,
    If you where happy with their servers for long time, its better you give them some more time to fix things up, However its very bad of them to keep you in dark or ignore your (if they have done that) tickets.

I don't think any of the Micfo servers have 100% uptime, according to their own uptime stats.
    Almost zero is not exactly zero. Nothing wrong with Nadabrahma's post IMO. Also, shared hosting comes with some downtime caused by reboots, so 100% uptime is not to be expected.

Originally posted by Skelaniya

Trau,
    You check any of the Micfo's server uptime @ http :// mg-YOURSERVERNAME.micfo. com.
    Yes, Micfo does provide third party monitoring of their servers. I started using SiteUpTime before they did, I continue to use it since it alerts me when there is an issue.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

No matter what there will be always spammers or those script kiddies who monopolize the resources available on the server and its matter of time that we can track them down and take the necessary action.

We are very felixable with getting the accounts moved between servers as we've done it for many customers and serversince they were moved, they've been just amazed. So in case you're not happy with the performance of your server, drop a line to billing@micfo.com and we will move your account to a different server.

Thank you!
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

squirreldog,

I hope everything works out between you and Micfo.

Best of luck

Originally posted by Amir
    [B]No matter what there will be always spammers or those script kiddies who monopolize the resources available on the server
    Agreed, these challenges exist, no host can prevent them all.

and its matter of time that we can track them down and take the necessary action.
    Perhaps this would be a good place for you to detail for us what kind of server monitoring you have in place?

I keep informing your techs of server overloads (as reported in WHM) and down sites before they are aware of the problems. There is never any disagreement that the services are overloaded or down. Your techs are very quick to address the issues, but then the issues reappear a day or two later. Over and over.

I get little fragments of explanations from the friendly techs, but not enough to put
    together a coherent picture of what's happening (despite repeated questions), so after awhile I start assuming that what's happening is that you are trying hard, but unable to provide the service advertised. I could be wrong of course, but given the repeat problems and lack of explanations, it's a reasonable theory.

We are very felixable with getting the accounts moved between servers as we've done it for many customers and serversince they were moved, they've been just amazed.
    You can control some servers, but not others?

I think you have a very promising company Amir. The support response is indeed excellent.

Feature requests are that you monitor the servers so I don't have to, or that when unavoidable problem do arise somebody (anybody) actually explain the problems in
    some detail to the customers so we can be sympathetic and on your side, rather than
    being brushed off, and thus assuming the worst.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to technical problems, but not to half sentence replies in the middle of those problems. Fix it, or tell us what's going on.

Imho.

I recently got an account with micfo. We had downtime on July 21, for the whole day, and the ticket I sent to billing (at first I thought it was because of nonpayment of invoice which I shouldn't have had to pay since I was still on my free trial period, but I paid it anyway that day), was not answered the whole day.

When I finally opened a Technical ticket they had to ask me which server I was on. I didn't know, no one had told me, I had to provide my IP address before he could tell me the server I was on was under a DOS attack. I had to ask what the server name was for future reference (Cartier).

We went down again on August 8. This was the infamous unplugging of the server due to a spammer. I asked to be moved to another server and was moved that night to Miami.

At least I think I was moved. We went down again on August 10, and this time we actually experienced a data loss -- posts in our message board, administrative work done to the pages, messages sent, etc. disappeared, only to reappear again at the end of the day. But anything posted during that period while we were up and down vanished forever.

We are not happy with this. This is the exact reason we left our last host. We have only been officially up on our new site for a week (prior to that we were building) and are in danger of losing our members. I threatened to transfer everything to a new host and was offered another server move. I agreed to this.

I posted in micfo's Feedback forum about the number of times we went down and my post was removed, and a PM sent, again offering to move me to a "VIP" server. I again agreed to this.

However, I am extremely unhappy to learn that posts like mine (which was not offensive in any way) are removed from their forums, and that their Network Status forum has still not been updated with the latest information on the August 10 downtime on Miami server, where we actually lost data. I still have not been informed what exactly the problem was.

I am afraid of what today will bring.

the whole day......ouch

Originally posted by swepics
    However, I am extremely unhappy to learn that posts like mine (which was not offensive in any way) are removed from their forums,
    Yes, same here.

My Micfo forum posts were moved and edited, and the moderator (whose name I do not know) tried to move the discussion in to PM. My posts were not inflamatory either. I simply asked, in polite wording, that the Micfo sales documents be edited to reflect the reality that Micfo servers were not being monitored in an effective manner.

The Micfo forum is a sales document, not a place like this where you can freely exchange info and ideas.

Which is fine, but again, the Micfo forum should be labeled as a sales document and readers should be alerted that the posts do not always accurately reflect the thoughts of the post author. Once I learned that, I chose to stop reading and posting in the Micfo forum.

Wow,

I have heard negative rumblings in the past about Micfo, but the guys I know that host there haven't had any issues.

It sounds hit and miss.

I will have to send this info along....

Update

On Friday, August 12, although I had not yet given them the go-ahead to move my site to another server (I wanted it done during non peak hours, and I was told to simply contact them in an existing help ticket to tell them when I wanted it done and they'd do it right then), we were moved to Esmat.

We lost about about 3 hours worth of data (all posts, registrations, etc. done between approximately 1-4 pm EST), and every image that had been uploaded to our site since we opened was corrupted.

I assume it was due to the move, but since last night (nearly 24 hours) I have not received any sort of satisfactory response. In fact, after spending all night talking to Sam B. he moved me up the chain to an Admin, and I found myself back to square one of having to tell them again what my IP address is before he can even help me.

I am not familiar with how tech support is run, but surely they can look up my IP from their end, since that same day one of them had in fact told me what my new one was, and not waste all this time?

Unfortunately repeating this again, don't be misled by the above post, Micfo no longer provides Urchin stats to any new account.

Amir, it has been months now. You should either provide Urchin as promised, or change the cpanel demo screen which misleads users into thinking you that you do provide Urchin.

Re: Troubles At Micfo?

You complain so much - but never provided your domain name. I just wondering if are a real customer of Micfo or just trying to talk bad about them ? Post your URL here and we can check downtime records.

Originally posted by squirreldog
    Anybody here have an account at Micfo.com?

I was quite happy with their service for months, and was recommending them in all my forums.

Service has been going down hill the last month. You too? Micfo offers no explanation of the big picture, so I'm here fishing for gossip.

All my sites down this morning.

wow, I have been with Micfo for about 2 months now and have been nothing bu impressed, I have experienced some downtime but no more than say 15 minutes across the entire 2 months, to me that is acceeptable on a shared server. Their support and customer service is what impresses me and will keep me with them as well as an awesome affiliate program that actually pays

Again: I have not seen any of these problems with *my* account at Micfo. But it seems that some people really have had some issues.

That is too bad, since I have had a very high opinion of them. Now I feel a bit disappointed.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I think to be fair posting here before you submitted a ticket to find out the issues is a little harsh! It always best to send in a trouble ticket "first" before you bash the hosting company.

As for using free site monitoring services they are not generally that reliable. Not bad if you want to detect maybe some downtime but they generally mis-report the exact length of downtime.

If you have frequent downtime that you are aware of simply switch hosts. There are a millions waiting for your business!

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast