OSCAR versus openMOSIX

Can I get your opinions on the pros and cons of either the openMOSIX or the OSCAR software suite? Every vendor has its strong points and I'm trying to nail the coffin shut with some final outside input.

What are your thoughts? If you think one is better or worse, mind sharing "why"?

Thanks!
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

openMosix is very straightforward since the pre-compiled kernel is also released with the distribution, that makes the setup and installation become so much easier and quicker. "Even the cave men can do it" (recall from the funny Geico advertisement)

OSCAR is great for people who want to "learn" as they go. Download and install, boooom, you're done. Later on it requires a lot more time to master the techniques in each individual package that comes with it or most oftenly will be used. If you don't want to deal with problems that might happen in the future, I'd recommend ROCKS. I guess one of the objectives they developed ROCKS is that if anyone ever runs into problems and not sure how to fix it, simply re-install it and everything will work again.

I found both openMosix and OSCAR only work with a very limited set of application. In reality, serious customization is needed in order to make it work the way you want or perhaps to only half of your expectations. The nature of openMosix allows you not to greatly modify your existing codes and programs, which can be a great advantage to large-scale developed application. However, it creates quite a large amount of overhead in communicating with other nodes within the cluster. Combination of MPI and openMosix often comes in handy.

openmosix all the way baby

Originally posted by Eric Lim
    ... I found both openMosix and OSCAR only work with a very limited set of application. In reality, serious customization is needed in order to make it work the way you want or perhaps to only half of your expectations. ....
    So would you not be able to run common applications that work on a dedicated server platform such as Apache, mySQL, BIND, Exim, CPanel or even a Counter-Strike 1.6 server?

Is there a list of apps that work somewhere? I thought clusters created one big platform you could install and run whatever app you are interested in using...

I have guys who know more about this than I do for various reasons, but this is for my knowledge since the team here is neck deep in clustering and I'm just trying to be able to maintain intelligent conversation with them and get my own cluster to work so I can say I did it effectively.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by AQORN-Adam; 08-08-2005 at 02:35 AM.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu