hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Need share experience with colo

Forum Jump

Need share experience with colo

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Telecommunication operator

Need share experience with colo

We just have a plan use colo instead dedicated rent and i would like hear some story. Especially regarding remote colocation. We haven't USA office and we do not plan open it, so we will habe not physcial access to colo. But, in this case who and how and for which price will deal with hardware, software? I think about few way:

hire outsorce admins which leave near to  DC
pay to DC techie for " hands work".
install some sort hardware/software for manage all servers by remote access

Can anyone who already have experience with remote colocation share his experience? Any story about time required for replacing failured hardware, install OS, and safe saving our spare part's for our server (i mean hdd, memory sttick, fans, cpu and etc.)? 

Thanks to all to any information.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 AM

I live in Australia and have few servers in USA. My biggest problems with collocation is remote hands. I'm still looking for a reliable tech guy to do the odd job.

Suggestions: make sure you have KVM over IP and remote reboot via web.
Also will be good to have a CD-ROM in every machinse with the OS just in case, if you have to reinstall the OS.

If any hardware fail, at the moment I relay on DC.

I have good brand name machines (have some running for 5 years non stop without missing a bit)...as such buy good hardware. Pays in the long run.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Telecommunication operator

I see, you confirim my anxiety about remote hands... Especially, when i think about offering this servers for rent..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Having everything on KVM would help with most issues, any decent DC should have remote hands for a reasonable rate.

West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Check out colo4dallas.com, we currently have a few servers over there and we do not have direct access to them - they are great to work with, and get everything done promptly. They have good remote hands rates (billed in 15 minute increments). We have a KVMoIP there, and the helps a LOT. They do free reboots, so we don't really need remote reboot ports, although they are good, we find there is a high rate of hard drive corruption so we prefer as much as possible to do soft reboots.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Sees Largest Gains in Netcraft November Web Server Survey Web Hosting News 2013-11-04 16:01:02
Internap Gives Colocation Customers Cloud-like Control with New Unified Portal Web Hosting News 2013-04-24 15:16:26
Colo Atl Expands Atlanta Data Center to Meet Growth Web Hosting News 2013-03-07 14:38:01
Georgia Technology Center Network Equipment Showroom Opens in Colo Atl Data Center Web Hosting News 2012-11-13 11:26:43
Web Monitoring Service Site24x7 Adds Apdex Scoring Feature - HostingCon 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-07-18 13:01:01