How does "backordering" of domains work with so many backordering companies?

Lets say I want to backorder website.com

If I backorder at godaddy.com and someone else backorders at snapnames.com what determines who gets it?

Re: How does "backordering" of domains work with so many backordering companies?

Originally posted by rnmcd
    Lets say I want to backorder website.com

If I backorder at godaddy.com and someone else backorders at snapnames.com what determines who gets it?
    The number of registrars a backorder company has, the amount you are willing to pay, speed, and a bit of luck!

When the domain name is released by the registry (for .com and .net it is Verisign) at 11am Pacific Time, each ICANN accredited registrar is allowed a line (or maybe two lines) into the registry to try and register the name.

Each backorder company has a number of ICANN accredited registrars. Pool, SnapNames, and ClubDrop have a lot and GoDaddy has only three registrars.

So if you order a name at SnapNames vs. GoDaddy, you pay more, but there is a higher probability that you will get the name because SnapNames has more registrars than GoDaddy.

Each backorder company is different. Some like NameWinner have an auction before hand to see who will get the name IF NameWinner is able to grab it. Others like SnapNames basically say that if they get the name and you're the only bidder, you pay a flat fee of $60. If there is more than 1 bidder, then there is a brief auction and you pay whatever you bid in the auction. eNom's ClubDrop is similar to SnapNames, except that you have to bid before the droptime with a minimum amount and then if there are other bidders, you have an auction again ClubDrop gets the domain. I haven't used Pool in a while, so I don't know if they still have their complicated two auction process.

Best if you go to each backorder company to see their terms and procedures. GoDaddy is the only one I believe that charges you up front. And if you do a lot of backorders from GoDaddy, it is best to use their cheaper sister company www.BlueRazor.com where they are $12.85 I believe plus an annual fee of $9.95 to join.

So if you really want a domain name, you put in backorders at ALL the backorder companies and then you pay whichever one gets it - with the exception of GoDaddy/BlueRazor where you pay whether they get it or not (although you can reuse the backorder there for up to a year I believe).

Good Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

I have read somewhere that if an expired domain was registered by one of snapnames registrars, and the domain expires without any backorders for the domain, then snapnames registers it....is there any truth to that?

Must not be true because it doesn't sound like snapnames is a registrar.

SnapNames has an arrangement with some of their registrars, that if someone backorders a domain before it goes into the redemption period, then it will go directly to SnapNames instead of going back to the registry.

SnapNames has a list that is updated everyday on their website. If you look at their homepage, in the middle of the blue header on the right side of the screen, it says "Download the Priority Partner" list. Not bad to check it out seeing as how one of SnapNames Priority Partners is NetworkSolutions.

NameWinner does the same thing with it's registrars, too. Those names are designated with a star on the left when you search there.

I see a "release date" regarding the 'soon-to-expire' domains.

Anyone know what happens if the release date passes and there wasn't a backorder for the domain?

are we backordering website.com and snapnames.com ?

personally i dont belive these backorders are worth a tinkers toot

why cause i just dont have the funny money or interest to snap a domain name
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by rnmcd
    I see a "release date" regarding the 'soon-to-expire' domains.

Anyone know what happens if the release date passes and there wasn't a backorder for the domain?
    Depending upon where you're getting your information, the release date is usually the date that the domain is re-released to the public for registration. At that time, it is first come - first served.

If there is no backorder, then whomever wants the domain can register it. All the backorder services really do is try and register the domain within the first few seconds of it becoming available. Backorder services are using very powerful servers that can pound the registry with thousands of requests within seconds. Most popular or valuable names end up being backordered by the likes of UltimateSearch, BuyDomains, etc. So unless the domain is a real turkey or specialized, it will probably be backordered by someone... but you never know.

I have found the FreeWho status checker to be quite accurate in estimating when a domain will drop (be available): www.FreeWho.com/checker/ Usually you have to wait until the domain is put into the REDEMPTION period or the PENDINGDELETE period for FreeWho to give you an accurate estimated drop date. And hey... it's FREEEEE!

Originally posted by 4solutions
    Depending upon where you're getting your information, the release date is usually the date that the domain is re-released to the public for registration. At that time, it is first come - first served.

If there is no backorder, then whomever wants the domain can register it. All the backorder services really do is try and register the domain within the first few seconds of it becoming available. Backorder services are using very powerful servers that can pound the registry with thousands of requests within seconds. Most popular or valuable names end up being backordered by the likes of UltimateSearch, BuyDomains, etc. So unless the domain is a real turkey or specialized, it will probably be backordered by someone... but you never know.

I have found the FreeWho status checker to be quite accurate in estimating when a domain will drop (be available): www.FreeWho.com/checker/ Usually you have to wait until the domain is put into the REDEMPTION period or the PENDINGDELETE period for FreeWho to give you an accurate estimated drop date. And hey... it's FREEEEE!
    Your explanation was what I thought the process would be like but I decided to 'watch' a snapnames backorder.

I found that the snapnames release date for valentinesdaycentral.com was August 5, 2005. I have checked the status after August 5 and the site can no longer be backorder and it has not be registered. Snapnames must make some domains available for backorder prior to the actual date a person could register the site from a registrar. In this case, valentinesdaycentral.com, was last register by networksolutions and they are 'partners' with snapnames...maybe that was the reason they could make it available for backorder early.

But isn't that what I said?
    Originally posted by 4solutions
    SnapNames has an arrangement with some of their registrars, that if someone backorders a domain before it goes into the redemption period, then it will go directly to SnapNames instead of going back to the registry.
    Valentinesdaycentral.com didn't get any backorders on SnapNames, so on 06-Aug-2005, it was placed into a 30 day redemption period, where, if the original owner wants it, he can pay the redemption fee. If the redemption fee is not paid it will be sent back to the registry where it will briefly go into a PENDINGDELETE status. Then on 11-Sep-2005 it will be released to the general public to register on a first-come basis.

Look... I've tried to help you. But if you don't believe this information, and you are trying to challenge me in some way, I have better things to do.