Arrow News :: A race against time as the world rushes to free trapped submarine & its crew.

Article extract >>

The Russian navy is racing against time to rescue the seven crew of a deep-sea diving vessel trapped on the ocean floor in the Russian Far East.
    The Priz submersible got caught in a fishing net and sank to a depth of 190m (620ft) off the Kamchatka peninsula on Thursday, officials say.

Russian ships are sweeping the area to try and free the submarine and the US, Britain and Japan are sending help.

A navy spokesman said the sailors had enough air for only another 24 hours.

Earlier Russian officials had said the sailors might have up to another four days' supply.

Click here to see where the submarine is stranded
    Capt Igor Dygalo told Russian television the crew had been told to keep physical activity to a minimum and wear standard issue outfits to keep warm.

But he said "there was no panic on board".

Earlier, he said: "There is air remaining on the underwater apparatus for a day - one day."

'Non-stop operation'

While two Russian ships were sweeping the seabed in an attempt to cut the net caught around the propeller, the US, Britain and Japan were mobilising their vessels.

Japanese officials said four vessels carrying rescue equipment were on their way, but would take at least three to four days to reach the site.

The US navy said a Super Scorpio unmanned vessel was being flown out from San Diego on Friday morning Pacific time (late afternoon GMT).

Once in Russia, it would be loaded onto a Russian ship and taken to the site.

Britain is also sending a naval Scorpio vessel from Scotland's Prestwick airport on Friday night aboard a Royal Air Force Boeing C-17 transport plane.

It is due to arrive at Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky at 0500 Moscow time (0100GMT) on Saturday, a British embassy spokesman in Moscow said.

Both vessels have remote-controlled arms capable of cutting free the submarine, but it was unclear whether either would make it in time.

Capt Dygalo said that, while they waited for international back-up, "a plan is being drafted relying on our own resources".

"The operation will continue non-stop until a result is reached," he told NTV television.

Too deep

The stricken submersible, normally used for underwater rescue operations, was taking part in a military exercise when its propeller became entangled in the net on Thursday.

Officials said there was "technical communication" with the sailors, but no voice contact. None is believed to be hurt.

The vessel is too deep to allow the sailors to swim to the surface on their own, and another submersible is needed to release them.

The accident occurred almost exactly five years after the nuclear submarine Kursk sank to the bottom of the Barents Sea after explosions on board.

All 118 men on board died - including some sailors who survived the initial blast but ran out of oxygen.

Russian authorities were sharply criticised for their handling of the crisis.

End extract <<

For background info :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4747783.stm

Map showing locaation of the accident :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/eur...83.stm#graphic

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Hmm, I wonder if there going to be ok, I hope there going to be ok.

190 m is a long way

i hope they're all ok.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

Sheesh, they are in my prayers. 190 is quite far down.

I heard about the Kursk and what happened there, I was very disappointed with the Russian authorities. I hope this won't be a repeat of that.

There have been reports in the news in the last hour, that a tug boat has managed to attach something to it, and are dragging it along the sea floor to shallower waters.

What impact this will have on the overal rescue effort, it is not yet known, havt to wait and see i guess.

Critic,

Update -

Article extract >>

Planes carrying US and UK rescue teams and gear have arrived in the Russian Far East to join efforts to save seven sailors trapped in a mini-submarine.

Sophisticated underwater equipment is being taken to the site of the accident off Russia's Kamchatka peninsula.

End extract <<

For full article :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4125674.stm

Critic,

Apparently, the sub got caught in a fishing net... still, they'd announced that there is enough oxygen and food to last them till Monday.

I hope they are ok up until now... and unto the next days coming ahead of them...
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Lets hope they are rescued in time. It would be a very frightening experience which I personally would not want to endure. My heart goes out to them and there loved ones.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

the rescue teams have landed - good luck!!!!

hopefully this will have a happy ending shortly.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

they got them up and all are safe and alive!!!

great job guys!
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Yes, that is great news. Good job.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

PEARL HARBOR – At 5:20 p.m. (HST), the Russian mini-sub and its seven crewmembers were successfully brought to the surface by an international rescue team sent to free them. The crewmembers are alive, and their condition is being evaluated by a U.S. medical officer aboard the Russian ship.

In a period of only a few hours from the time of the incident, Russian, British, and U.S. resources were readied, deployed and brought to bear in a cooperative effort to free the seven sailors trapped more than 600 feet below the surface for two days.

Close, frequent communications from the very start of the operation between navy officials in Russia, Britain, Japan, and the United States greatly facilitated the prompt and cooperative rescue efforts.

“The close team work and global coordination between our navies to rescue these sailors in such a short time is testimony to the spirit and determination of our nations,” said Adm. Gary Roughead, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

In addition to the U.S. Navy doctor, three U.S. Navy divers supported the British remotely operated vehicle (ROV) team aboard the Russian ship in the rescue effort. The British ROV successfully cut the mini-sub free from fishing nets, and the mini-sub was able to surface due to its own positive buoyancy.

Navy divers assist rescue efforts

Story by: Pacific Fleet Public Affairs

PEARL HARBOR Hawaii (Aug. 6, 2005) -- Three U.S. Navy divers and a U.S. Navy doctor are supporting a British remotely operated vehicle (ROV) team aboard a Russian ship in rescue efforts for the Russian mini-sub and its seven crewmembers. The ROV was underwater working to cut the mini-sub free from fishing nets.

The U.S. Navy support is part of an international effort to rescue the Russian sailors trapped undersea off Petropovlovsk on the east coast of the Kamchatka Peninsula. The ROVs, which are about 4 feet-by-4 feet-by-8 feet, have two cameras, a cable cutter and two manipulators capable of lifting 250 pounds each.

The divers arrived in Petropavlovsk around 9:15 p.m. Friday Hawaii Standard Time/3:15 a.m. Saturday Eastern Standard Time aboard a C-5 cargo plane. The plane left Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego, where the Navy’s Deep Submergence Unit is located, around 5:30 p.m. Friday Eastern Standard Time.

Also aboard the plane were two U.S. Navy Super Scorpio ROVs, which were being loaded aboard a second Russian ship to help with the rescue.
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet