Thread: RAID controller

RAID controller

I'm running a RAID-1 server with 3ware controller

I've heard of it sometimes and would like to know if someone can confirm if it can really happen and if it's common: none of the HD have problems, but the controller do... and then it may be replaced, but the data are corrupted... so you can lose everything

Well, yes this could happen not refering to 3ware only but if you got any bad RAID Card it would cause you courrpted data though your Hard disks would be ok

South Daytona, FL
    It's rare, but yes it can happen. A bad controller can cause major corruption.
    Also be aware that in some rare circumstances a controller using RAID1 can choose the wrong drive to fail and end up throwing the good drive off-line and continue using the bad drive thus corrupting the data.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I worked for an ISP several years ago and we had a RAID 5 array in a Dell server go bad and corrupt all the data. We were able to recover some data but it took forever.

Raid isn't the equivalent of a good backup, even if its raid-1 or 5. It doesn't protect you from software bugs, user screwups or deliberate attacks, and it can still just simply break as well.

Its very good to (almost) ensure data availability in case of a disk failure, but, people, don't forget to set up a good backup routine. Do that, and don't worry so much.
    We do co-location and system management in Stockholm, Sweden. Unfortunately we cannot host you, but i'm sure you'll be ok.

Remember, the best backup in the world is the one you make yourself.