DwellTech.Net Charged CC without even ordering

First, I have NEVER heard of Dwell-Tech, and for starters the "starter" plan would NEVER EVER fit me.

I've been on vacation since July 31st to August 4th. The charge took place August 1st. I was on vacation when this happened.

My first webhost I ever bought was ************.com, and I was VERY mad at their services. I downloaded a max of 2KBps from their site. I used my credit card to buy their services.

My second webhost has been LayeredTech.com, which is a dedicated server I pay for. I'm very happy with LayeredTech.com.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe ************ decided to give out my credit card number to people? Is this possible? They do keep the CC# on their database.. this worries me. Maybe a employee took it and charged it?

I called Dwell-Tech's offices, which today is Friday, but apparently they are closed on Friday.

If anyone could help me out, give me some tips. I really need to know if this company is real, so maybe we can get this guy busted.

Thanks.

Edit:
    Their website is http://dwelltech.net/
    ************, my previous host: www.************.com

Thanks again.

if they did then you have reason to chargeback, if not sue! If they are legit and they honestly did receive an order with your credit card number they *should* have the IP address of the order logged and be able to track the fraudster.

If it turns out ************ are behind it then you should deffinately sue imho, giving out personal details of any kind is against the data protection act and when it comes to credit card numbers that just becomes so much more serious.
    Xurial.net

It looks like your CC might have been used without your knowledge. And it could be anyone, not just employee or ex employee of ************.com. It could also be that your CC details have been stolen. How about reporting this to you CC provider?

Surely someone stole it, but I'm not sure how. I only order from: NewEgg and Tigerdirect. More recently Newegg.com. I highly doubt big companies like them would give my CC# out..

Yea, I'll report it to my bank. It wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't my bank account, and just a regular rip off credit card company.. but it's my actual BANK account the money came from. So much for a peaceful vacation, eh?

Is it possible that one company bought another one and then a mistake took place? Either way, I would not wait till this clears out and contact your Credit Card department and file the charge as fraud or unknown to you (without explaining your history). Just tell them you have no idea where this charge is coming from.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Yea, I'm about to go do it now.

I just did a blank order: http://dwelltech.net/web-hosting/order/entry.htm

And it didn't even check to what was blank or not. To add to that, their page isn't even secured. I think it's faked, maybe?

WOW thats some serious invasion of ur privacy.

According to their site they are in Florida, according to the whois they are not.

Check: http://whois.sc/dwelltech.net

My bank account has been changed also.

The bank has reported it. Problem is I won't have a new bank card or any way to pay the payment for my server by the 10th so hopefully LayeredTech will help me out.

This same thing happened to me although I JUST got a new debit card. I have no way to even deal with this until Monday given this is a credit union too!

idigerati,

The same exact charge? Dwelltech, $9.65?

Yep! I am willing to bet someone went through their form with a script trying out all kinds of different numbers.

Originally posted by ThomasMack
    Surely someone stole it,
    Then why in the world would you start a thread with a subject that clearly implicates the host as doing something shady?

That's just not cool at all.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Then why in the world would you start a thread with a subject that clearly implicates the host as doing something shady?

That's just not cool at all.

--Tina
    Too see if this happened to anyone else, and if so warn people to stay away from them?

Yes, but you knew full well that it is most likely a stolen number issue. The polite thing to do would have been to say "Possible stolen CC order placed with (insert host name)". When I read the topic it looked like you were saying they were being unscrupulous and randomly charging things to your cc.

I just hate to see threads like this that unfairly could harm an otherwise innocent host's reputation.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Yes, but you knew full well that it is most likely a stolen number issue. The polite thing to do would have been to say "Possible stolen CC order placed with (insert host name)". When I read the topic it looked like you were saying they were being unscrupulous and randomly charging things to your cc.

I just hate to see threads like this that unfairly could harm an otherwise innocent host's reputation.

--Tina
    Sorry. I tried editing my post, but a max of 15 minutes has passed.

Then the proper thing would be to do is contact a Moderator and ask them to correct the thread title. People do not think twice about blasting a company that could cause harm.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I agree with Tina & Robert, misleading title.

Contact a MOD and have them change it for you

After some e-mail exchange with them the bottom line is someone wrote a fun script trying their form out and their lack of validation on both a form level and CC level suck so a whole bunch of credit cards were charged. They don't speak English all that well so I'm not sure they're onshore.

The only fault I think that should be placed on them was putting an insecure form out on the net and not validating crap. I don't believe they were the ones to do the deed.

Bottom line is without hassle they refunded my money. I still will request a new card and number anyway in case somehow someone deduced it was a good number.

I e-mailed them also, but no response.

Thank you for updating, idigerati. My bank has already returned the money back to me. My bank filed a report to the FBI.

Thanks again for the update.

And thanks for the title change.

I'm sure they were tired of getting e-mails I bet lots of people got hit.

I wouldn't doubt it. It's pretty stupid to not have a security check on their forms!