Pending-delete/redemption Period

REEVESDESIGNSTUDIO.COM

Hi I have a clients, domain that has recently just expired, it was working fine on sunday evening abd showed in the whois 2006 for expiry as i couldnt remember when it was bought, but on monday morning, it stopped. The client registered it about 2 yrs ago, and only started using it again on sunday, when he got back in touch with me for the first time in 2 years.

I wrote to 123reg.co.uk asking them why it has stopped even after i have paid the renewal fee, and they replied.

Hi,

Thanks for your email,

The WHOIS modifies the expiration dates of .com domains after they have expired and adds a year on to them, this only occurs AFTER the domain has expired. We started contacting you 90 days before expiration warning that the domain was due to expire, we then sent reminders shortly after expiration to advise that the domain had still not been renewed.

As this domain is in the stage PENDING-DELETE/REDEMPTION PERIOD. If you wish to get this domain out of this status, then it will cost £235 + renewal fees. If you do not wish to pay this, then your only other option is to wait until it is again released, which will be approximately 75 days after the expiry date. However, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to re-register it, as it will be available to the general public.

Regards
    Is all that true? And i also havent had any reminders about domain expirey of that domian name.

Is there anything i can do to get this turned back on again?
    Please visit http://www.quicktimevirtualreality.com as this is my little baby. Thanks

From what I know during redemption period, the owner can "redeem" the domain after paying the domain fees and the redemption fees which is minimum US$100. This is the only way to turn it on again. Registrars' expiration notices are more or less automated, you will need to check if the admin contact email is still valid if you had not received any of the reminders.

Is this the same for all domains such as .co.uk's, or is it just .com's. Its just i have been doing this kind of thing for 5+ years now, and i have never ever heard of this, and if somebody was telling me i would have laughed at them and said dont be daft, as it seams like a crazy situation. I mean who actually makes that money and where does it get paid too?
    Please visit http://www.quicktimevirtualreality.com as this is my little baby. Thanks

This appears to be a normal non-renewed domain name situation to me. The domain looks like it actually expired on 20-Jun-2005. The domain is registered through Tucows and they paid Verisign (the .com registry) a renewal fee to extend the domain out so they could give your client about a 40 day grace period to renew the domain name.

This is why the expiration date appears to be 2006. It is because Tucows paid the registry to give your client a 40 day grace period. But Tucows can then send the domain name back to the registry and say, "hey... we give up, this person apparently doesn't want the domain name. Please give us our money back and schedule this domain name for release to the general public."

If you go to the FreeWho.com status checker: http://www.freewho.com/checker/ you will see that the domain is now scheduled to be released on 06-Sep-2005.

If your customer still wants the domain, they can pay the redemption fee, or they can put in backorders at SnapNames, Pool, ClubDrop, Godaddy, etc and take the risk that someone else won't try to backorder it.

Quite frankly, by posting the name in a publc forum like this, you probably increased the probability that some unscrupulous domain name "investment' companies will try to acquire the name.

Best of Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Cheers for this guys, but if some body wants to waste there money, go for it, as he is a one man band that has just started to learn dreamweaver, and there is no way he will buy it off anybody, thats why it has taken him 2 years just to start using it.

I think to be honest we will just forget that domain, buy another one and learn by our experience that domain name companies like to try and make a bit more money out of you as they are greedy even though i have hundreds of domains registered with them.

Cheers for all your help guys.

Maybe I am too negative sometimes.

I don't think your client shoud give up. Perhaps the name will just drop and he can then re-register it.

I guess I've just seen some companies like KenyaTech.com buying domains that no one would probably want and then trying to sell them back to the previous owner.

I don't think that is "cricket".
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

You know how can anybody hold there head up, and beleive they are sucessfull on any measure of any scale, when they conduct business in this way??

Any body that makes money from other peoples missfurtune to me is not a business man.

My car a few months back had the window broken to take the stereo, and there is a car removal company that have the police authority to remove any vehicle form the streeets that has damage (to stop the area looking bad) and then charge you £80 to pick it up for the removal cost.
    My car was towed away before i even got out of bed, so i never even knew my car was broken into. SO not only did i have the misfortune of loosing a £200 CD PLayer, and have to pay for a new window, i also had to pay for my car being towed away to the tune of £80.

I dont see any difference here with the domain name, they allow you to pay for it, send you an email that probably looks and was treat like junk mail, if you dont respond they then reregister it in thier name and charge you 1000% (if my maths is right) more to get it back.

I know two bars that have aprox £40,000 in there safes on a monday morning from the weekends takings, i see no difference in what the domain companies are doing, and me walking in these bars and demanding that money, its still theft/robbery.

Unreal, that this is legal

Not a wise move posting the name itself, but since your client cannot afford the "recovery" fee, then yes, forget about it and move on. But make sure losing it won't cost him more.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I don't understand the whining.

Reminder notices were sent.

Either they were ignored or you didn't keep the contact info current.

If you have 'hundreds of domains' registered, it would seem that you'd be aware of the renewal e-mails and would even have a heightened sensitivity.

Once a domain goes into REDEMPTION the cost to the registrar isn't just the six dollars. In fact, to get into REDEMPTION the domain has to be deleted, which typically doesn't happen until after it's been on HOLD for a while (and won't resolve in the DNS, which usually gets one's attention).

After a two year hiatus, checking the domain's expiry before working on a site might have been A Good Idea.

Why is the registrar the Bad Guy? You didn't pay attention.

because im miffed and feel sorry for myself lol