Hybrid View

e-commerce for downloads

Hi guys and gals,

I am doing a big design project for a client with a massive collection of music. This is all legit as the client is a recording company and own all the rights to the music.

I am just wondering what the collective wisdom of these hallowed vaults is on which ecommerce package to use for running the site. I am not going to design a bespoke site for them, as to me, that always seems like a waste of time when there is so much excellent stuff out there already.

I am planning on using OSCommerce with its downloads controller, but would like to know if anyone has any better ideas.

The site will contain several thousand music tracks, each with associated other tracks in the album, plus lyric sheets, guitar tab sheets, album covers, etc.

Many thanks.
    jireh.
    FishFood Media :: fastfood for a hungry church
    Hosting, web design, video production and media resources for Christians.

oscommerce is probably your best bet. Good luck with the project

Thanks for that. I've been using oscommerce for several years for nealry all the ecommerce work I do and it is great, but I was just aware of sticking with what I know and potentially missing out on something else which may be better, having really not looked around for several years. Hotscripts certainly lists a lot, and it's always a question on what's good and what's not.

Thanks for your tip though.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of mambo-phpshop. I certainly like the idea of the ecommerce system integrated into a lovely CMS like mambo. But I've heard bad comments about it without any details given. It looks great though.

Any thoughts anyone?