Question need help setting up server

this is the box i got recently

Hardware: AMD 3000+ Barton/1024MB/80GB
    Control Panel: none

using webmin now
    i know this would be considered a bit noobish but gotta learn one day
    so here are the things we stuck on

no.1- do i need to setup a DNS server or not

no.2- whats supposed to be the name server (and how to set it up )ive got 4 domain names one is live three of them parked at godaddy and i got no idea about this name server stuff if some kind soul could atleast post a link to get a carpenters guide to seting up a server or a fisherman's guide to setting up a server .would be ever gratefull
    we not thinking about reselling or anything if that makes any difference

no.3- would getting plesk make my life a bit easier considering that the things stated above are a problem for me

my friend (who takes care of the techie part ) is bent upon setting everything himself even if it takes 10 years so plz help us out of this crappy situation then i will ask about mysql crap aswell which is proving to be a nightmare

i have one site running www.desisensation.com wiht 1500+ unique hits a day and about 18000-20000 page views every day .if you are a hosting seller or want to advertise your site in return of your help i can offer you to have your link in my signature (i post in each and every thread on my forum )for a week.
    please help help help help .........

thanks a trillion in advance

Hi,

Judging by what you are writing you aren't extremely experienced in the server industry. Don't take offence if this is not true. I believe that install cpanel will be your best bet, i would suggest perl if you had more knowledge on the industry but i think cpanel will be the easiest for you at this time.

If you mean your resolver DNS, then no, your DC should be able to supply you with the ips to put in your /etc/resolv.conf, it will save you caching all of the domains on the internet .

The nameserver is firstly) set at your domain registrar, by creating ns.domain.com and ns2.domain.com and forwarding them to the respective ips on your server. Secondly) Going to your server and adding (if using cpanel) in your server setup the name of the nameserver domain (ns.domain.com) and then add an ip to that nameserver.

Hope i explained a bit to you.
    Matt

no offence taken i am a noob never had a dedicated server started running this forum 2 months back and now decided to get a dedicated server and here i am

thanks for replying

now we have 8 ips 5 usable out of then what do we do with those 3 which are not usable and if there is no use why do we have them

You have them because its a set package, add them to your system but don't accept connections on them, just in case you need to use them down the track.

Get vhcs from vhcs.net its like plesk but nice for free