Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question About Changing Registrars

Thanks to PinchPenny recently going under (with no warning whatsoever-- I emailed Dominick three times asking why my payment method wasn't working and got no reply, so it's lucky I checked their site), I switched registrars. I changed over to Namecheap.com for registration, but I stuck with the same host I've been using, which is Cybex. It's been about a week since my domain supposedly transferred, and it's still not up-- I get a "this domain has expired" error page. I can still access everything through my CPanel, but the page won't load and I can't check my e-mail using Outlook.

I've heard that sometimes registrars can "lock" domains or refuse to turn them over, but according to Namecheap and ICANN, everything went smoothly and my domain transferred. Is there something else I should do besides wait?
    <3,
    Savannah

Did you remember to set up your name servers?

Haha. I'm dumb. No, I didn't.

Okay. Here's where I get confused again.

On Namecheap.com's website, I hit "transfer to our DNS servers," which I assume is what I was supposed to do. Now I have the option to "transfer DNS to Webhost," which is explained like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Namecheap
    You are currently using our domain name servers (DNS) for your domain.

You can change it and start using your own name servers or name servers of someone else like your webhost. This step is sometimes known as 'transferring the domain' by some webhosts. Please note that using custom nameservers will disable some of our free features like e-mail forwarding, url forwarding etc., as these functionalities depend on our nameservers.
    I want to just keep using their DNS servers, right?
    <3,
    Savannah

savannah,

You'll still want to use the 'transfer your nameservers'. Thats just what namecheap calls it (it's a bit confusing).

Just modify that to point to Cybex's nameservers.

Okay. I looked up my info at Cybexhost. This is what I found:

Name Server: DNS.PARKPAGE.(site name I've never heard of before).COM
    Name Server: DNS2.PARKPAGE.(site name I've never heard of before).COM

Namecheap had those listed as my nameservers before I clicked "transfer to our DNS servers"; I figured they were generic nameservers that they give to new people. Now I'm confused.
    <3,
    Savannah

savannah,

Those are the default nameservers that namecheap throws at your domain until you can find a host for it.

//Could be wrong, what was the 'site name I've never heard of before' part?)

"f o u n d a t i o n a p i [.] com"

So what should I change the nameservers to?

EDIT: Since Cybexhost has my registrar listed as "Enom, Inc.," I assume this is just some server that domains get handed over to when they expire.
    Last edited by savannah; 08-04-2005 at 11:54 PM.
    <3,
    Savannah

dns1.name-services.com. [69.25.142.1] [TTL=172800] [US]
    dns2.name-services.com. [216.52.184.230] [TTL=172800] [US]
    dns3.name-services.com. [63.251.83.36] [TTL=172800] [US]
    dns4.name-services.com. [64.74.96.242] [TTL=172800] [US]
    dns5.name-services.com. [212.118.243.118] [TTL=172800] [UK]

Are your current nameservers, the ones with cybexhost are going to be something like:

ns5.cybexhost.com
    ns6.cybexhost.com (not necessarily those).

Just a note: Has cybex not contacted you at all, or have you received no word from them?

Originally posted by David
    Just a note: Has cybex not contacted you at all, or have you received no word from them? [/B]
    No; I didn't think they should've, since I'm only changing registrars, not hosts.
    <3,
    Savannah

savannah,

Doh! I misread the original post: Which domain name is this concerning?

Spiral-staircase.net

As you can see, there's an error page there now, put up by, I assume, Enom Inc. I'm sure this is because the domain expired before I found out that PinchPenny was gone.
    <3,
    Savannah

I thought Pinch Penny had been down for a while now. On another board I go on, a lot of people were complaining about them & many switched sometime in April/May.

Originally posted by Shaliza
    I thought Pinch Penny had been down for a while now. On another board I go on, a lot of people were complaining about them & many switched sometime in April/May.
    Maybe. I'd been getting reminders for a while that my domain was going to expire, but the 2CheckOut link never worked when I tried to pay for it-- because PinchPenny no longer existed, I assume.

But yeah. It may have gone down a few months ago, but I didn't find out until early July.
    <3,
    Savannah

That sucks.

Update:

Okay... it's been a while since I changed my DNS over to NameCheap. Now, my information at my hosting site, CybexHost, is this:

Domain Name: SPIRAL-STAIRCASE.NET
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Updated Date: 04-aug-2005
    Creation Date: 22-jul-2004
    Expiration Date: 22-jul-2006

I'm pretty sure the registration listing of "Enom" is the reason my domain isn't working. Why isn't it listed at NameCheap yet? *sigh* I don't know what I need to do.
    <3,
    Savannah

Originally posted by savannah
    Update:

Okay... it's been a while since I changed my DNS over to NameCheap. Now, my information at my hosting site, CybexHost, is this:

Domain Name: SPIRAL-STAIRCASE.NET
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Updated Date: 04-aug-2005
    Creation Date: 22-jul-2004
    Expiration Date: 22-jul-2006

I'm pretty sure the registration listing of "Enom" is the reason my domain isn't working. Why isn't it listed at NameCheap yet? *sigh* I don't know what I need to do.
    CybexHost says to "apply the nameservers that are included in your Welcome email (Welcome :: Login Information)." Check that email and see if DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM, DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM, etc. are the proper nameservers to use. If not, find the proper ones in that email, go to NameCheap, and change the DNS servers for your domain to those nameservers. (http://namecheap.simplekb.com/kb.asp...9&categoryid=0 shows how to change DNS for your domain on NameCheap). If you can't get them changed via NameCheap, contact NameCheap and ask them what to do. I can't tell if those DNSX.NAME-SERVICES.COM nameservers are NameCheap's or not...

Originally posted by joshua_70448
    [B]CybexHost says to "apply the nameservers that are included in your Welcome email (Welcome :: Login Information)." Check that email and see if DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM, DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM, etc. are the proper nameservers to use.
    If you're talking about the welcome e-mail that they sent me over a year ago when I first signed up, that e-mail is long gone.
    <3,
    Savannah

savannah, it would appear that the problem is with your Registrar - NameCheap.com.

Since your Domain name doesn't expire till 2006, that is not the problem.

As Nameservers for eNom are showing as the current ones used, your Domain name / URL should still work but show the eNom default page. Therefore, you need to double-check the information within your Registrar account.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    Therefore, you need to double-check the information within your Registrar account. [/B]
    Okay, but what should the information be? As of right now, it still says "You are currently using our domain name servers (DNS) for your domain."
    <3,
    Savannah

According to the Namecheap Nameserver Flash Tutorial, you would just enter the Nameservers you want to use and those Nameservers would be provided to you by your Hoster.

Originally posted by Website Rob
    According to the Namecheap Nameserver Flash Tutorial, you would just enter the Nameservers you want to use and those Nameservers would be provided to you by your Hoster.
    What...? Are you talking about registering my own nameservers?

Quote Originally Posted by NameCheap
    ns1.spiral-staircase.net - Error: Error 545 - Nameserver name does not exist or is invalid
    Aaaand, under "find all nameservers":

Quote Originally Posted by NameCheap
    No Nameservers are available for this domain.
    :| I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do.
    <3,
    Savannah

Not sure I followed all the details, but generally it is the *host* you have your site at which tells you the nameserver-names to use - since your site is physically located at one of their servers.
    You then take that info and log in to your registrar-account, and enter it there. Generally the nameserver-names look something like "NS1.HOSTINGCOMPANY.COM" etc. In other words, it is NOT your domain name but the host's.

This applies unless you don't have any host for your domain name; then as a rule the domain is "parked" with whichever company helped you register the domain name. If you change registrars without changing hosting, the extant info is simply handed over from the old to the new registrar. Nothing of that is changed.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    Not sure I followed all the details, but generally it is the *host* you have your site at which tells you the nameserver-names to use - since your site is physically located at one of their servers.
    You then take that info and log in to your registrar-account, and enter it there.
    Okay... so, since CybexHost has my information listed as this:
    "Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    etc..."

I should put that into the DNS info at NameCheap (my registrar)? And, if those aren't CybexHost's nameservers, how do I know what theirs are?
    <3,
    Savannah

Well, asking them would be a good start.

It would be a start, yes....!
    Although this case seems so complicated I can't really figure it out...
    Well, Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast