CI Host Custom Linux Upgrade Possible?

Hi all,
    I wish I had discovered this forum prior to joining CI Host! You guys have a real hate-on for them. I like the service offering (the bandwidth! The machine specs! the IP addresses!), but I'm really starting to get annoyed by the seemingly crippled version of Linux that it runs. Apparently it's a "custom" version of Red Hat 7.2. I wrote to their support asking after an upgrade to something more recent, and without explanation was forwarded to "Admin Time" where I request an arbitrary number of hours' work (at $75/hr) to do something I have no idea how long it takes. Furthermore, any additional changes would have to be done by them.

That's all a load o' crap. I want to upgrade my own dedicated server, to something like FC4, but I'm not sure how. There are no resources on the web that I could find, so I'd really love to hear from some enterprising members of this board if it's possible.

Thanks!
    Aaron.

Its possible to upgrade it. Are you using their weird panel? If so you cant upgrade it really. But if you are just running your own stuff then it can be done. Sort of like a redhat 9 to centos upgrade but a few more steps.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Talk to me like I'm 8. :-)

How do you go about doing it? There's that MonsterControls thing that I don't touch at all, and there's a command-line tool that I've used ("account" and "setup"), but I don't need them by any means.

If you can just point me to some relevant instructions on the Web somewhere, that'd be great...
    Thanks,
    Aaron.

If you're asking those kind of questions, then no offense, but you probably won't be able to do the upgrade without breaking things. You should contact an company to complete the upgrade for you.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Okay... offense was taken at first, but then I thought, "I could pay someone to go in there and upgrade my server to something standard?" That thought doesn't strike me as crazy. Who could do that?

Seek out Linuxguy on these forums. There's also another thread up here a bit that discusses some managed options.

I would look at CentOS, the impression I have got from using it at home is that it is a pretty decent distro for a server. I'm a Slackware user primarily, but have been looking at CentOS. I used to use RH products exclusively up to RH 9. My experience with fedora has been less then enjoyable. Slackware has been really good to me and runs great on anything I install it on so I have stuck with it.

Upgrading from RH 7.3 to something newer may be a pain. Might just be better to backup whatever data you can to a cd or DVD and blow the current install away, install a newer distro and restore your data. But I would only do this if you are comfortable with installing and configuring a Linux server.

But like the others have said, if you are uncertain with exactly what you need to do then seek help from someone that does. You don't want to loose important data.
    Last edited by hanzerik; 08-05-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Hanzerik. I have no problem installing a new OS, and I'm cool with Centos (I've heard a lot of good stuff about it). Thing is, I'm on a dedicated server at CI Host, so I don't have access to the box. This would basically be an in-place installation/upgrade, something I'm not familiar with. As SolidJoe suggested, it might just make sense to get someone (Linuxguy?) to do this for me, as long as I knew that that person would be preserving my data at the same time.

Cheers,
    Aaron.

Get TheLinuxGuy/Rack911.com to do it...

If you screw it up you'll have to spend $75/hour to fix it anyway, so you might aswell pay someone to do the job properly.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

http://www.rack911.com/adminlinux.htm

From Redhat 7.x to CentOS 3.4 is $50. To CentOS 4 is $60. Sounds like a good deal to me.

It does. I have already gotten in touch with them and they are assessing my needs, even as I write this! Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers,
    Aaron.

Hello all,
    I had the Rack911 guy all over it when I last wrote. He was all set to go, he had my root password, and then.... he just disappeared! Since that last email he has done nothing, and he hasn't replied to my many queries. Anyone know where LinuxGuy has gone? It's been over two weeks now, and I still want this work done. If anyone knows of another with similar skills, I'd be happy to talk.

Cheers,
    Aaron.

Originally posted by aaronvegh
    Hello all,
    I had the Rack911 guy all over it when I last wrote. He was all set to go, he had my root password, and then.... he just disappeared! Since that last email he has done nothing, and he hasn't replied to my many queries. Anyone know where LinuxGuy has gone? It's been over two weeks now, and I still want this work done. If anyone knows of another with similar skills, I'd be happy to talk.

Cheers,
    Aaron.
    His WHT name is Steven, now.

As disappointed as I am to type this, this happens all the time with him, even with his once long time customers.

Always do research before hiring someone!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Ticket was found and responded to.

Thank you,
    Steven
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Good. Hopefully the OP will get his issues resolved.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

It might be worth asking the original poster why he wants to upgrade. CiHost does offer Red Hat Enterprise Linux as an upgrade. None of the custom scripts will work if you change the OS. So you will lose the control panel and all the scripts for adding domains, rotating logs, setting up cronjobs, etc.

It sounds to me that the poster is pretty new to the business of server admin. That is exactly why all these scripts exist. So if he changes his OS on a CiHost box and then needs support, he will not get it without paying. Ci offers a managed service. Like any provider of managed services they need to have systems in place and employees trained on those systems. If a company offers you a managed box running a custom version of RH 7.1 and you change that to CentOS do you expect them to still manage the box?

So what exactly is it that you want to do on this box that you can't do right now?