Thread: non-FTP editing

Talking non-FTP editing

I'm a cheap and unruly bastard who refuses to pay for anything. Well, before I did, with affordablehost.com which is pretty reliable, but now i'm to lazy to continue payment. So, I've found a (retarded) free webhost called 'www.1webspace.biz'

Of course you dont get your own domain, just some sub domain, so i went to www.dot.tk and got myself a free decent domain name.

I'm using dreamweaver MX 2004 as an editor, but it doesnt really matter. My 1webspace.biz host doesnt support FTP so I can't edit the site or upload any files to dreamweaver.

I could just design my webpages offline on dreamweaver and then upload em which is what im gonna do but...

But I am just curious, is there any other alternative to FTP or a way to get around it?
    Been looking for great, cheap hosts? Want advice on finding the best web hosts, dedicated server hosts, reseller hosts, and colocation hosts?
    Email me now at [email protected]****ed.com for free information now!

I can't surf to the site to check out 1webhost.biz but if they don't support FTP then it would seem they have to provide some method of adding and deleting files to your account. Usually hosts like that will have a web interface where you select the files to upload and then you have to upload all the files (.html, .jpg, .gif, etc) one by one into the appropriate locations on the server.

There are free hosts that support FTP upload.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Yes well this one has 555 MB of space. Not that I'll ever use that much anyways. Its ok Ican just upload it using their site.

I have another question: Go to my site, www.pimpalyrical.tk

As you can see, the first thing that comes up is a banner. I know technically youd have to pay to remove it, but is their any way of removing it? Like perhaps transfering free domains back and forth to manipulate the ads (and pop up) or something?

Can someone please help me with this?
    Been looking for great, cheap hosts? Want advice on finding the best web hosts, dedicated server hosts, reseller hosts, and colocation hosts?

Go to a free host that doesn't have pop up banners and allows FTP uploading. If you're going to host your own domain what's so special about this free host that you're willing to put up with them?
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by TheRegulator
    As you can see, the first thing that comes up is a banner. I know technically youd have to pay to remove it, but is their any way of removing it? Like perhaps transfering free domains back and forth to manipulate the ads (and pop up) or something?
    I'd recommend finding a host whose policies you agree with, instead of looking for ways to circumvent the policies you agreed to when signing up with this one. I hope nobody who knows how to disable these pop-up banners helps you. It would be unethical.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Yes well actually one of them went away so its ok. The pop ups still tehre but its no big deal so thanks for you help.

Many sites have an online editor. Just check, i know hostultra.com has one and its free, unmetered space/bandwidth but has a 1mb filesize upload limit.