brand new RH 9 box, up2date not working.

[root@yws etc]# update -u
    There was an SSL error: [('SSL routines', 'SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE', 'certificate verify failed')]
    A common cause of this error is the system time being incorrect. Verify that the time on this system is correct.
    I got my box reformatted and fresh install of RH9, I tried running up2date -u , and it gave me that error. The clock date was updated manually by me by running date 080406512005, How do I get past this error and fully update red hat 9.

Then, what would you guys recommend I upgrade to and are there any how-to's for it? Is fedora core 3 good or is 4 good, or is cent os good?

I am looking for a QUICK and FAST way to install a OS and get a control panel up on the server.

I had hella trouble the past 3 days trying to get webmin installed on fedora core 3, but that was because I was doing alot wrong.

Can I get some guidance, maybe a little help if anyone has time to help me through this? ( I am past broke right now so i have ZERO Cash unfortunately, but help is much appreciated and I can setup a webhosting account or something in favor)

Thank you in advance.

Dont use up2date... Redhat 9 has not been supported by redhat for over a year.. fedoralegacy.org is your best bet.. BUt i seriously recommend not using redhat 9
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

lol, yea my host just put it on there first, he's installing fedora core 3 for me..

Would you recommend fedora core 3 or 4?

none.. centos 4.x

Originally posted by vdaonline
    none.. centos 4.x
    or centos 3.5 but not fedora. The fedora linux project is targeted at desktops, not servers, and has a very short life cycle. By going with fedora you are going to have to do major upgrades much more frequently then if you went with RHEL/centos both of which are essentially the same thing.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Fedora is fine for a server, and , in many cases MAY be the only thing you can use.

For example:
    If you want a 2.6 kernel on your system (recommended in some cases), then you've got to use (at minimum) FC2 to obtain redhat support.

The later RHEL4 and CentOS4 aren't fully supported in numerous applications, mainly because of udev, partly because of SElinux, and the like, so you're advised to stay AWAY from those for the time being.

Regardless, the upgrade path from rh9 is pretty simple, and you should do it quickly, as rh9 is unsupported, and has been for better than a year now. Don't rely on fedoralegacy.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Why are people still using rh9? I see many hosts still using it..is it just that they are too lazy to update?