Thread: Car wash

Car wash

OK, I admit it - I'm lazy.

We have 2 vehicles. And we always go to the local "touchless" car wash at the gas station around the corner. The problem is that the damn thing costs 8 bucks a crack. I figure that between the two of us (my wife and I), we spend about $600 a year in car washes.

The irony is that I have a $200 pressure washer sitting in my garage. [Stupid lazy Vito]

So are you as dumb as I am? Or do you wash your own?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I go to the carwash but not as often as you do.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I actually enjoy washing my car, I dunno why, the outside is always clean, but the inside is another story... However I do still take it to one of those "Do it yourself" places to wash it, costs about $2.00 Then back home to wax if needed..

I had a pressure washer before, and all it did was break and cause problems...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Just curious, Trifolic. If you wash your own, why do you go to a self-serve car wash and pay 2 bucks (as opposed to dragging out the garden hose at your house)? Is it the water pressure you're paying for?

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Timing is everyting. I just paid to go through a car wash today for the first time in a few years. I usually wash my car at home.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Always have done it myself and at home.

Originally posted by vito
    Just curious, Trifolic. If you wash your own, why do you go to a self-serve car wash and pay 2 bucks (as opposed to dragging out the garden hose at your house)? Is it the water pressure you're paying for?

Vito
    3 reasons actually..

1.) The pressure washer, Like I said, I had one before, and all it did was cause problems, seals breaking, leaks everywhere.. I didn't feel like going through that again, not only that it was a pain to get all hooked up and bring out of the garage.. It made washing the car a friggen project..

2.)The bubbles! For some reason the bubbles that come out of that brush at those places are the best, they come right out of the brush and there's always ALOT of them.. Time and time again using a bucket and my own brush, I get like 2-3 good strokes and the bubbles are gone, now I am just cleaning with water...

3.) The place is about 3 miles from my house, and right off the highway, as soon as I am done, I drive out, get her up to about 75mph and by time I am home, no drying needed! It works out great..

I am sad to admit but I just got home from the Car Wash when I read this post. Mine cost 13.95 plus tip. How many of you tip the guy when they are done, I almost feel obligated too.
    James Edmonds
    DataDork Consulting
    http://www.datadork.com

Originally posted by Trifolic
    ...as soon as I am done, I drive out, get her up to about 75mph and by time I am home, no drying needed! It works out great..
    How many speeding tickets have you gotten trying to dry your car on the highway?

Vito

Originally posted by DataDork
    I am sad to admit but I just got home from the Car Wash when I read this post. Mine cost 13.95 plus tip. How many of you tip the guy when they are done, I almost feel obligated too.
    You must obviously go to a car wash where they dry your car off by hand?

Wow. Haven't seen one of those for years.

I always go to the automated (unmanned) ones.

Vito

How many speeding tickets have you gotten trying to dry your car on the highway?

Vito
    Well the highway here is 65mph limit, everyone goes 75 an no cops pull you over, its when you're 80 and above that they nail ya.. Took me 3 times to learn that..

I wash the Jeep once a year maybe. Just not enough water to waste on keeping a vehicle clean. Sometimes when we go to the mainland we will go to a car wash. It is almost a treat.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

A place within 10 miles of our house offers unlimted (yes unlimited, it does exist in this context) car washes for $19.95 per month, per car. We just signed up for our minivan and it is great. It's not touchless, it's this new system with foam strips that don't scratch the paint, but clean the vehicle much better than touchless.

Saves us a fortune compared to the almost $10 per wash we were paying.

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    I wash the Jeep once a year maybe.

So does that mean your Jeep looks dirty for most of the year? What color is it? (I assume it isn't black, else it would look crappy 2 days after you washed it}

Vito

Originally posted by svdorr
    A place within 10 miles of our house offers unlimted (yes unlimited, it does exist in this context) car washes for $19.95 per month, per car. We just signed up for our minivan and it is great. It's not touchless, it's this new system with foam strips that don't scratch the paint, but clean the vehicle much better than touchless.

Saves us a fortune compared to the almost $10 per wash we were paying.
    Wow, that's cool. I wish we had that here. Where do you live?

Vito

So does that mean your Jeep looks dirty for most of the year? What color is it? (I assume it isn't black, else it would look crappy 2 days after you washed it}

Vito
    The Jeep is Red. Does not look too bad. Most vehicles of islanders are about the same. That is how we spot the tourists... clean cars, no keys in em, and alarms set at the village store. Sorta funny, not like anybody could get far even if they did steal a car.

Out of curiosity, what kind of Jeep? (You bring back memories, as back in 1998 I had a red Jeep Cherokee Limited)

Vito

This one is a 1990 Cherokee Limited. I have had 2 Grand Cherokees, and 4 Cherokees.

I guess you could say I like them.

Heh, you're like me. We've had at least one Jeep in the driveway since 1987.

Vito

We have a manual car wash near here and a automated one..the hand car wash makes alot more money and is always busy!

Wow, that's cool. I wish we had that here. Where do you live?

Vito
    Hudson, Wisconsin which is a nice little river town on Minnesota's eastern border.

22. It feels good that Im not the "car wash lazy" type of person.
    I go to the car wash like once every 2 months , almost as often as I change the oil.
    But it really depends, I visit them more often during dating season.

I shouldve known better not to get a black car.
    My friend always joke about it , saying that the color is "misty grey" coz its always dirty.

And yeah how much dya guys usually tip?
    I tip $4 everytime. Is that way too much?
    Ive never asked anybody how much to tip. Its just that I dont want the fella to do anything evil next time I visit because I dint tip enough.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

wash them myself, the machines just do crap jobs and the ones with brushes can scratch your paint (they just keep gathering crap on them and then running that crap across every car that comes through...)

the local car wash for me....
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

I rarely wash my car, it goes several months between cleanings. I never go to spotless ones, though I've gone to the do it yourself ones a few times, and have to agree, the foam/soap you get out of there is great, you get warm/hot pressurized water, etc.

I've also got a pressure washer. A little 1400PSI model sitting downstairs that I picked up a year or two ago for around $80 on sale at Canadian Tire. It doesen't get used too often (Vito, I cant recall, but if you have a deck, give it a try on the deck!), primarily because it really doesen't do that much (doesen't get any of the set in dirt off the car, or bike for that matter). However it is good for prepping the car to actually get washed, getting the grime off select areas, and hosing the car down when you're done. It also works fairly well in removing grease and such from the bike (eg. cleaning the chain, granted I'm having to put a new sprocket/chain on my bike this week, which is setting me back nearly 3 bills so perhaps I'm not so great at that maintenance aspect).

I think the do it yourself ones are probably the best bet for the average joe. It usually runs around $4.00 to do your car ($2.50 to start never lasts long enough), but the provided tools are very effective, and it even has waxes and such at the one near my house (~2km away).

I love washing our car.. although we have a car wash garage, i still like to personally wash our car.
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

I wash my car by myself, with the regular garden hose and some good turtlewax soap... looks like I wax it everytime, although I haven't in quite a while.

My mom has washed her car like 3 times since she bought it in 2003 (Nissan '04 Xterra) and it already has rust on it.... she's bringing it in to be sanded and repainted.... hopefully she learns.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    I wash my car by myself, with the regular garden hose and some good turtlewax soap... looks like I wax it everytime, although I haven't in quite a while.

My mom has washed her car like 3 times since she bought it in 2003 (Nissan '04 Xterra) and it already has rust on it.... she's bringing it in to be sanded and repainted.... hopefully she learns.
    Sorry, but I've just gotta ask , learns what?

Not to buy a heap of junk? Park in the garage? Dont drive a Nissan in the winter? SUV's aren't meant for river crossings? Etc.

I wash the car myself..
    you people are so lazy lol..
    get a bucket.. pour in some liquid soap..

fill it with water... get the hose.. wet car

dip rag into bucket.. soap it well..
    wash it off with the house.. repeat..

I also apply Rain-X to the windows and do hand washing for the rims with paper towels.. they shine at NIGHT! lol..

The inside gets all windex-ed

I like to hand wash and wax my car once a month. I would do it more but I HATE driving a clean car. If its clean I'm always avoiding puddles/gravelroads etc

I clean/vacuum the interior just as much.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

I wash my car most weekends. I do have a pressure washer but I've just got one of these new "Flash Car Cleaners" (people in the UK should know what it is). First time I tried it I thought it was a bit crap but it turns out our hose was leeking all over the place so the pressure was low. Once that was sorted out it seems quite good. The number of bubbles that come out from the shampoo bit is a bit low, but the best bet is the "auto-dry" feature. The water is filtered and ionised so that when you rinse your car the water doesn't stick to it, it forms little beads which just run off!
    Steve

I like to wash my own cars, but being the community minded chap I am, I occassionally let a group of bikini models wash and wax the cars for me.

Just kidding folks. There's no bikini model car washes in my town.

Not that I would go to one if there was . . .
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

We have loads of hand car washes around Leeds and also automatic ones. I sometimes go to the hand car wash if I am on my way to a wedding or another event where a clean car looks good. If not then I will either leave it or clean it at home.
    -- Matthew

Our car wash = Our hose + a bucket + soap + water

<?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Originally posted by P-nut
    Our car wash = Our hose + a bucket + soap + water

+ man power
    -- Matthew

I do it the way my father showed me: a bucket with water and a soft brush that won't scatch the car. That's all he used and that's all I use. He said no detergent because that might, somehow, affect the paint (it could be just a mith).

We always lived in an apartment building so no hose for us. And to go to a car wash... hmm... maybe once or twice so far so I don't really know what the prices are now.

I go to the car wash about twice a month and pay $11.00 per wash. I wish I had the time to do it at home but ehh, the car wash place is faster.