Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you grow your own?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey, I don't mean growing that! That's illegal!!

What I mean is - do you have a vegetable garden? And/or do you grow your own herbs in pots inside your home?

When I was growing up, my parents always had a vegetable garden in the backyard. Tomatos, peppers, basil, peas, potatos, onions, the whole deal. When I moved out on my own, I lost that tradition (along with several others - like wine making, but that's another thread).

Now, as a homeowner with a fairly decent sized lot, I'm considering plunging into the wonderful world of veggie gardening. I already know the rewards are great. There's nothing like walking out to your garden and picking a tomato and chomping on it seconds after being picked. Nothing like it.

But I don't know the first thing about it. Obviously, it's too late for this year. But if I want a garden next year, do I dig one up next year? Or should I "prep" in some way this fall to optimize next year's season?

As well, do you have any tips? Do you spray your veggies to prevent bugs eating them? Do you spread maneure? If you're a seasoned green thumb, I'd appreciate your sage advice.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

We used to when I was in Texas but not out here in California. I am hoping to have a vegetable garden once we move to Denver. I really miss it.

I would prep now. I know I will be when I move - I want to be prepared and get the soil ready for all my great vegatables! LOL

As far as spray, we did spray the tomatoes but that was the only problem we had. We did not have any other problems actually with any bugs.

We mainly just used fertilizer. In the fall, my grandfather actually did clean out the chicken coop some and put some of that 'dirt' in the garden to sit until the spring.

Vito,
    What id do is, Start digging your plot up a few inches deep, Fill the bottom of it with horse manure, This is usually free from Local farmers (For us is is anyway) then cover the top with top soil and give it a good turning over with a spade mixing the manure with the soil, Leave it to mature over the winter come summer time you need to add a layer of compost to the top and your ready to got, get some slug pellets down they eat the veg little buggers, Well that's the natural way of course you can add all the chemicals etc but i wouldn't bother with that.
    We have a little veggie plot at the bottom of our garden and this year we had the most luck with peas and got a lot of them too!. Onions and spuds are also quite easy to grow.
    Regards,

OK, so my suspicion was correct. I should prep the garden this year. Cool. That's my project for September.

Thanks, Corey and Napster. Much appreciated.

Any other tips'n'tricks are welcome.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito
    OK, so my suspicion was correct. I should prep the garden this year. Cool. That's my project for September.

Thanks, Corey and Napster. Much appreciated.

Any other tips'n'tricks are welcome.

Vito
    I would also Start the seeds off at around february-may indoors, or in a greenhouse, when they start to sprout and are a few inches tall then its time to move them into the ground Sometime the seeds will not grow outside around that time as it can be a little cold, If you plant them too late you wont get much crop So id say start them off inside before moving them outside, If i was you id keep it all natural and not add any other growing aids that way you will appreciate it more and you get enough of the chemicals on your veg at wallmart. Just make sure you get the slug pellets tho
    Regards,

I don't understand. Start the seeds off indoors???

What does that mean? If I want to plant, let's say, 10 different veggies (tomatos, potatos, peas, basil, etc), what exactly am I doing indoors?

Vito

I knew it was going to be about vegetables...

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    I knew it was going to be about vegetables...
    You're just too smart, T{H}R !!

Vito

Get rabbit pellets. Supposedly the best kind of fertilizer. My sister uses them on her garden (she breeds rabbits as it so happens) and it helps make awesome strawberries. More specifically, strawberry smoothies

She lists her excess pellets on craigslist.org for free. She usually gets enough phone calls or emails within an hour to remove all the pellets for people with home gardens. You might check there first for pellets or manure. People come over with wheelbarrows and haul it away.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

You're just too smart, T{H}R !!

Vito
    Thanks ... I guess?

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    Thanks ... I guess?
    Haha, it was indeed a compliment. No sarcasm.

Vito

But anyway, there's nothing like home-grown vegetables. No pesticides, herbicides, insecticides etc, just yummy yummy flavour!

Vito,
    I dont know what other people do, But we start the seeds off inside then move them outside, if you read the back of a seed packet thats what it will tell you.
    Regards,

I have a friend who has a garden of sorts

Originally posted by The Napster
    Vito,
    I dont know what other people do, But we start the seeds off inside then move them outside, if you read the back of a seed packet thats what it will tell you.
    Regards,
    OK, thanks. I'll have to read the packages. When I was growing up, I never saw my parents pre-seeding them indoors. But hey, I'm willing to learn new stuff.

Vito

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I have a friend who has a garden of sorts
    Can you tell us whats in it?
    Dave

Originally posted by DavidL
    Can you tell us whats in it?
    I was afraid to ask. But now that you did...

Vito

We do garden, when the water holds out. We try to catch as much rain water as possible. Usually in the summer, some stuff starts to croak.

We have crappy soil, so we really have to work it. Always adding lots of material to the soil.

We grow everything from rhubarb, fruit trees, carrots, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, corn, watermellon, radishes, zuchini, tomatoes, and more. Nothing like a fresh BLT or stir-fry from the garden.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    We have crappy soil, so we really have to work it. Always adding lots of material to the soil.
    That's one of the things that concerns me. Our area is very rich in clay. So I would assume that when starting the garden, we need to dig good 'n' deep and fill the area with good quality soil so that the garden will have ample space (depth) to grow.

Would that be an accurate assessment?

Vito

This year we grew:
    Peas, Carrots, Rhubarb, Spuds, Onions, Cabbages, Tomatoes (with no luck this time) & Strawberries and cucumbers (both in the green house)
    Glad to see some keen gardeners on WHT!
    Regards,

That's one of the things that concerns me. Our area is very rich in clay. So I would assume that when starting the garden, we need to dig good 'n' deep and fill the area with good quality soil so that the garden will have ample space (depth) to grow.

Would that be an accurate assessment?

Vito
    Quite accurate. Dig deep and often. Here, we have lots of clay. If I do not work the soil in the fall, it gets too muddy. Too late and it starts to dry, it is like cement.

I have found that buying a few bales of straw and spreading it out, then tilling it under works great. Helps retain moisture in the summer, decays in to the soil. After the last couple years, it has really done wonders. We have even used wood chips from a chipper.

We also take the clippings from mowing the grass and put that around the base of some of the larger plants. Anything to help keep the soil from drying out too fast.
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

OK. I have a basic understanding of what I need to do this fall in preparation for next year's crop.

Thanks to everyone for your great advice.

Vito

As long as you don't bug your poor neighbours with vegtables every week

We have the most annoying couple next door who do this and their produce is awful!

Originally posted by talkfreelance
    As long as you don't bug your poor neighbours with vegtables every week

We have the most annoying couple next door who do this and their produce is awful!
    Dont say that you never know the could browse these forums
    Good luck with the Garden Vito

Vito, I've worked on an organic vegetable farm for the past 7 years. (all aspects... planting picking processing etc.) If you ever need any other tips, feel free to PM me.

talkmilitary gives good advice with the straw and grass clippings, and The Napster is spot on with his advice. keep in mind grass clippings could have chemical residue on them if you fertilize, and straw tends to take awhile to break down and unless composted first can be home to weed seeds. Weeds are pesky enough without having a headstart on everything else.

after you lay out your plot, and put compost/manure on it, till the soil nice and deep and plant some fall rye. (just scatter the seed about the plot by hand, don't worry too much about covering it) and water it. when the rye gets to be 4-6" tall, till it under and let it grow up again to about the same height. Again till it under, and leave it for the winter. till it agin in the spring, and you'll be ready to grow (the fall rye act's as a natural manure, nourishing the soil and attracting worms and little bacterial critters that help things grow.

if you are able to buy manure, compost, or composted manure, get some and put it on your garden now and till it under as well. Horse manure works really well. (not so stinky, easy to come by, cheap and not overly strong)

Gardening is extremely rewarding and there is lots to learn, but absolutely anyone can do it. If you'd like I can recommend a few books that may get you off on the right foot.

Basil, peas, potatoes and onions are all great crops to start off with as they're pretty hardy and forgiving (sometimes basil can be a bit troublesome. But fresh pesto is DEFINATELY worth it) All the root veggies are great to start with, and spinach and lettuce is nice to have in the spring.

But all I can say is go out there, and get your knees dirty! there's nothing in the world like fresh food you grew yourself.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast