Would you pay more?

The question of the day; Would you pay more to go with a company that uses technical support local to your country, and not outsourced support?

This questions stems from a problem I had today. Normally when I make my bank drop off at Bank One, the represenative often has a problem with her reader, reading our checks as Cash Deposits, rather than what they should be. Since it does take up some additional time, and piss off the bank, I decided to call up our bank represenative. In some efforts to trouble shoot the problem, we did a three way call to Bank One's customer service as well, which to my suprise was entirely outsourced, and so god awful that neither myself or our local bank rep. could understand what they were saying or telling us what to do. This isn't my first experience with outsourced support, obviously, it's everywhere, however it does match almost every other experience I've had with it. I can truthfully say, I've never had a problem fixed when dealing with outsourced support, and it only leaves me frustrated.

Compare that to TMobile who has all their support stationed in the USA (For US Based customers) where I've yet to come across a problem. Too bad their network is weak -- but I'll gladly deal with a poor network, than have to deal with awful support.

Depends on what the thing is. If its something that i know im most likely not going to need support for, no.

But when i was working on a network for a lady, i had to call verizon and it was very hard to understand, took up alot of time trying to understand, lady with heavy accent.

Originally posted by ScionStatic(Stevo)
    Depends on what the thing is. If its something that i know im most likely not going to need support for, no.

But when i was working on a network for a lady, i had to call verizon and it was very hard to understand, took up alot of time trying to understand, lady with heavy accent.
    No doubt, it's straight up awful.

If I'm likely to USE the support I'll most likely drop them the first time I'm inconvenienced by a tech support person who can't speak my native language (American, I won't call it English).

Simple as that, yes I will pay a bit more, how MUCH more? That depends.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

For me it really depends...
    I had outsourced support on my old shared host (I believe they were in France), but I usually didn't have a problem understanding them. Of course I never called them, but the ticket system worked well enough.
    I almost always use email when I can, instead of a phone. However, If I really need something done (for example, refunds via newegg) I will end up calling them .

Anyway, I don't know if I would pay more. I would probably pay more for phone support to be in the US, but with a ticket system I don't care all that much (unless it gets to a point where I can't understand them). I know if I ever outsource my website's support it will be with a US company.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    If I'm likely to USE the support I'll most likely drop them the first time I'm inconvenienced by a tech support person who can't speak my native language (American, I won't call it English).

Simple as that, yes I will pay a bit more, how MUCH more? That depends.
    That's exactly how I was. Before with my Cell Phone I had used Sprint. After something like 8-9 calls attempting to port my number over, I gave up. Clearly the people I was speaking with were simply morons. After just two weeks I switched to TMobile, and had everything transferred over in a matter of 4 hours after I signed up. Since then I've called TMobile twice, (one for a billing issue, another to check and see if my new phone would be compatiable) and both times I spoke to someone who spoke American English and was able to answer my questions without problem.

I would. I once called HP, and the phone lines in the remote callcenter were so poor i could hardly hear the support guy over the static.

It realy depends on the industry, I know for a fact verizon dsl outsources to a us company (call tech?) and the support there is even worse then any experience ive had with offshore support. They literaly have no power, they are there to hold your hand for simple requests (hooking up the modem, power cycling it etc.) I needed a new ip due to someone trying to hack me and they told me im SOL in so many words. That was after 5 techs tried walking me through ip config/renew ....
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

call tech, ( in Ohio) anyway is university students ---
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Simple answer - yes.

No preference. I've dealt with places that had inhouse support, that sucked. As well, i've ran into crappy outsourced support. It's really hit or miss.

My problem with outsourced support, is that the techs rarely are able to solve the problem. Then again, I've kinda got use to it, most major firms have terrible CS.

Originally posted by MikeM
    call tech, ( in Ohio) anyway is university students ---
    That doesnt make them dsl techs, and honestly they could know what they are talking about, simple fact is they have no powers, they cant access the dns servers, and they can only realy help you troubleshoot.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I would. I once called HP, and the phone lines in the remote callcenter were so poor i could hardly hear the support guy over the static.
    I had the same problem once with HP - but the people I spoke to were clearly American (or at the very least had a strong american accent).

Americans have no jobs, but we outsource em.

Are we completly stupid?

Regards,
    Anthony B.

i wonna call tmobile up just to see this now i have a phone contract with them, so they shuoldnt mind ;p
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Lord
    i wonna call tmobile up just to see this now i have a phone contract with them, so they shuoldnt mind ;p
    I've called Tmobile support a few times and each time I've gotten to talk to a helpful and knowledgeable support person who was able to fix my problem pretty much every time. I guess that isn't the "norm" at all anymore is it.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Personally I agree with a few others here: The moment I call up and have to deal with someone who doesn't speak my native language: Whatever service I'm using is gone.

I'll seek another and switch just to get in-country support or at least English speaking!

//Annoyed by spending 3 hours on hold only to get someone who cannot pronounce my name.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by David
    Personally I agree with a few others here: The moment I call up and have to deal with someone who doesn't speak my native language: Whatever service I'm using is gone.

I'll seek another and switch just to get in-country support or at least English speaking!

//Annoyed by spending 3 hours on hold only to get someone who cannot pronounce my name.
    "Hewlo Devad, my name is Pheelip how can I help you today sir?"

A support call my friend had with AOL (friends then AOL...):

"I can't access the internet, It says I don't have the right drivers"

"okay please go onto the internet and download the drivers"

"I can't, I don't have the internet as I don't have the drivers"

"okay sir, please go on aoldrivers.com and download the drivers"

"I can't I DON'T have the internet"

Though having dumb and uninformed technicle support centres annoys the hell out of me, most the time you don't have much choice! If I was going to use the support and pay a few quid more for some patrotic support then I would...especially as it costs about 20p a minute to all these ruddy support lines

(DELL cost me about 5 and I didn't even get through to anyone but some stupid machine and Beathoven's ninth in midi!! )
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Originally posted by TheBush
    Americans have no jobs, but we outsource em.

Are we completly stupid?
    Yes.

Originally posted by affordahost
    DELL cost me about 5 and I didn't even get through to anyone but some stupid machine and Beathoven's ninth in midi!! )
    Sucks for you, everytime I call Dell I dont understand what their saying so I just use online tech support. My laptop is dead because of the ac jack so no use in me calling them anymore, but I still have one of the dell dj or w.e they called them before thats broken and I still havnt returned.

In purchasing hardware, I'll tend to give first priority to the hardware spec's and ratings. For example, I have an HP printer despite the lousy support. It's coincidence more than support that I have T-mobile, because it happens to have better signal strength in my apartment than Virginmobile/Sprint or Cingular. For situations where I have a choice, it can be a consideration. It's an incentive to keep my hosting/registry with Godaddy, as long as that works well. I'll probably have my next desktop computer built locally, even if an outsourced, big-box company like Dell can be competitive on specs and price.

In this day and age I don't suppose we have much choice about call centres, however if I had my way I would only deal with companies were I can ring and talk to the actually company person direct. IF I need technical advise I expect to be able to talk to technitions that actually work on the device/service I DO NOT want to talk to somebody that has had five minutes training on a 4 page hand book even if they have had another hour of English tuition.

As for paying more, well we should not have to, if a company is licenced to sell a particular service or product it should be part of tghe licence aggreement that they provide support and NOT out source it however as that isn't likely to happen anytime soon then YES I will pay more for local personal support.

At the moment in my particular line .. computers, I regularily pay higher prices so that I can get local support and be assured of timely replacement of faulty equipment even though I usually have more knowledge that the support techs.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?