Have a SPAMMING customer....

I rec'd today an email from someone locally, who claims that one of my hosting customers is spamming them. they "say" that they've rec'd spams from this company before. in fact, their email had copies of various emails from this person to the head of the company - who admitted that they were sorry that his name had NOT been taken off their lists, but that it would be immediately.

suffice it to say, this guy got more SPAM 2 weeks later...

he emailed me as we host this companys web site and emails and has asked us to intervene on his behalf....

OR...and this one has me worried....he said that if he gets still more spam, he'd email bomb that companies email accounts....

which has me a bit petrified, as that'd screw up the whole server...

IF my customer is sending out spam, then I can tell him to cease and desist...

but what about that email bomb threat...if it is that .....

what troubles am I looking at with that kinda attack....

?

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    www.flamborocanadasystems.com

I would drop the account immediately. It was wrong for him to intimidate you, but what happens if people start to report him to spamcop or something? Your mail server IP gets on those lists and then gets difficult to be taken off.

If the guy emailed the threat to you, you might be able to report him to the FCC or the FBI. Save the email though just in case.

Refer him to aplus.net - we have been spammed by them and their clients

Thanks Cory....

I'm still a bit unsure...but I have turned off the email accounts with notice that we're "investigating"...while I await furhter counsel here....

One thing, if the spam-ee reported that email account to say SpamHaus, that would automatically put my server in the blackhat list...right? All it takes is 1 single user to do that?

Hm...that seems a bit "light" to me.....evidence wise...

?

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD

I really do not know unfortunately about the reporting process with any of those companies. I would like to think that it does take more than one though.

I know when I report spam, spamcop tells me if it is listed or not.

It's just not worth it to have those types of clients (with those type of 'other' people).

you can always see things during an investigation and yea i think to that your server eventully could either way end up in a black list

weather or not people use black list is a whole different thing
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Re: Have a SPAMMING customer....

Originally posted by JVRudnick
    he emailed me as we host this companys web site and emails and has asked us to intervene on his behalf....
    If you have sufficient proof that your client has been spamming, terminate his account. What can be considered 'sufficient proof' can be somewhat situational, but if you can match up the timestamp of the complainer's evidence to your server's mail logs, that'd be more than enough.

OR...and this one has me worried....he said that if he gets still more spam, he'd email bomb that companies email accounts....
    I'd notify his upstream of this one. Whether otr not you respond to the moron directly is up to you, but be sure to hold onto that email, along with any corroborating evidence (again, mail logs) in the unlikely event that he follows through.

-B
    Last edited by TMX; 08-04-2005 at 06:03 PM.

thanks....tmx

good advice....tho up here in Canada, our laws are a bit diff....

have also called our lawyer too......

tell me, is it "possible" that he could mailbomb those accounts and NOT get caught, ie using proxies or the like?

oh, and I'm keeping that email too....might just need it oneday....

:-)

Jim
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD

Already been said but I'll chime in

If you're sure your client was spamming and not removing the guy when asked, terminate them.

After that, report HIS threats to his own isp because 2 wrongs do not make a right.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck