Windows Managed Server

Im very new to this, so please dont give up on me yet.

Im sure thi9s wont be the first or last time this is asked, but i looked through the pages on this forum and couldnt find many other things relating to my question.

At the moment im using 4Dhosting.com reseller package, which until now has been amazing service and great value for what i needed. But im now looking to start selling my own reseller packages.

I have absolutley no idea on server side stuff, so it will need to be managed 100%, and to be honest i havent the time or patience for it.

The system i use now is a windows server (shared) with helm. I have got very used to helm, and dont mind it at all. But if there is anything that matter i shout at them, and 5 mins later it works perfect.

I am now wanting a dedicated server, with the same kind of management, where they deal with everything. All i want is a control panel that allows me to add, edit and delete accounts of any type. The two main account type i want to sell, are reseller packages and standard accounts for an individual.

It does need to be microsoft server unfortnuatly as many of our personal sites are asp with mssql.

I have a budget of about £100 (UK) per month, what would be the best solution?

I have a marketing budget and plan to resel this via a few magazines, to be honest all it is going to be used for is to contribute towards the mortgage if possible or make a bit of pocket money.

We have a very good reputation as a design agency, and dont want to damage that reputation with dodgy hosting, so we need to find somebody suitable in quality.

I need about 80GB+ at first or more if that budget covers it.

Any help will be very gratefully accepted.

Ian
    Last edited by da8iwr; 08-04-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Please visit http://www.quicktimevirtualreality.com as this is my little baby. Thanks

I know a place you can get one from, but it will be about $275 per month.

Ohhh thats a little to much for me, its a newish venture, and i would really like to keep to that kind of budget until i can see some kind of return. Which comany is it your refering to?
    Please visit http://www.quicktimevirtualreality.com as this is my little baby. Thanks

I think I know a good place... we hosted there long ago. Lemme see if I still have the link.

So you want a managed dedicated server for less than £100 per month?

Most companies would charge that on top of the cost of the server.

Then you need to consider that you need mail server software, statistics software, mssql licence (that will be in excess of £100 per month on it's own).
    Andy
    Resell SSL Certificates - API / WHMCS / HostBill / ClientExec
    Servertastic - RapidSSL, Geotrust, Thawte, Symantec, SmarterTools and more

AGUK, can i ask what realistic busdget should i be looking at then for what i want?
    Last edited by da8iwr; 08-04-2005 at 05:32 PM.

I think i have a miss understanding, i thought that the server its self does all the work, as in emails etc. Has any body in good links to anywhere that shows what set up i need etc to make it all work, as i m not sure what setup i need and everytime i do any searches for antyhing on the net, it just brings up advertising and links to directories.

Thanks for the link though TheHstvGuy
    Im sending them a email now asking for costs etc.

Originally posted by da8iwr
    I think i have a miss understanding, i thought that the server its self does all the work, as in emails etc. Has any body in good links to anywhere that shows what set up i need etc to make it all work, as i m not sure what setup i need and everytime i do any searches for antyhing on the net, it just brings up advertising and links to directories.

Thanks for the link though TheHstvGuy
    Im sending them a email now asking for costs etc.
    You mean a control panel? Checkout www.Drzes.com and tell me if that is what you mean... other common ones are Cpanel, Plesk, ect.

Originally posted by TheHstvGuy
    You mean a control panel? Checkout www.Drzes.com and tell me if that is what you mean... other common ones are Cpanel, Plesk, ect.
    i believe that's a billing software and not a control panel.

Yer thats definelty a control panel type, I just had a play with that one and it completely baffeled me lol, but i could see it had a lot of control. I have only ever used Helm before, which is a pain in the arse to get used to, but i have been using it now for over 2 yrs and become very good at it.

I had a play with C Panel afew months back on a linux machine and looks simple enough, im just worried about controling the server. I am very good at networking on a local and slightly larger scale, Setting up Wifi networks, Most database developemtns, and know XP Pro inside out, but i have never once logged into a server without going through a panel.

Is it simple enough, Would my knowledge of windows so far get me by? do you know of any good sites that can help me out. All im worried about is getting a none managed server and totally knacking it up with all my clients sites on there. Thats why im chosing to go with managed at the moment.

Originally posted by jt2377
    i believe that's a billing software and not a control panel.
    No, it is a Control Panel with integrated billing software.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get something fully managed and with such a high level of support based in the UK. You could look at a VPS, however I am not aware of any Managed Windows VPS providers in the UK at the moment.

I would look at something around the £200 mark if you're going Windows Dedicated in the UK.

£100/month is too low for a managed server I'm afraid. It sounds like you don't want to do any server managment at all, so your budget would need to be 2 or 3 times that for the UK.

4D are a very competent and reliable bunch. If you go for a real budget level server you could find you get a big shock in terms of how poor the customer service is!
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

A control panel does just that control things but then you still need to install the stuff it needs to control like mail servers / stats / perl / php mssql etc.

Something like Plesk does install some of these for you to make things "easier" but then it is inflexible if you want to use something else. Whereas Helm lets you choose what software you want to integrate with.

If you want a fully managed server with Windows 2003 and MSSQL licence then you are likely looking at around £500 per month for decent kit and service and likely double that for first month to include set-up.

Then you have mail server
    (could use MailEnable Standard - Free or the pro version to include webmail at around £90) But 4D use Merak Mail (Excellent mail server ) so you will have a lot less features for your clients. Merak Mail can cost around £1500 with Anti Spam and anti-virus plugins.

Stats Software you could use AWSTATS free or SmarterStats Pro around £230 for unlimited domains.
    Andy

You want to get the cPanel control panel. It is very easy to use and learn. It also supports resellers.
    Do you want a server in the US or the UK? A fully managed Windows server will cost around $200, for the lowest end P4, so it will probably not be a cheap venture for you.

I Have been offered these from Hostive.com

Celeron 1.8Ghz
    256MB Ram
    40GB HD
    600GB Bandwidth
    5IPís
    Plesk Unlimited Domains
    $149.99 per month
    $29 setup

Celeron 2.0Ghz
    512MB Ram
    2x40GB HD
    600BG Bandwidth
    5IPís
    Plesk Unlimited Domains
    $184.99 per month
    $29 setup

With full management, as i asked up there, do you think this is a good deal?

The low amount of RAM will cripple you, and the Celeron is an awfull processor. The low amount of bandwidth means you will probably have to oversell alot of bandwidth... other than that, those servers would probably be ok.

Also, I personally don't like the Plesk control panel, partly becuase of its super long loadtimes between pages and partly becuase it doesn't have near as many features as cPanel.

I said up there somehwere, i have only used helm. The good thing about helm, is it can takes credit card payments on a recuring basis, and also charge for extras, like more bandwidth etc. Can plesk do this?

And the bandwidth might not be anywhere near what the US servers give, but i have found UK servers are much less, for example i have 2gb of storage but only 10gb of BW with 4D. Thats only 5gb bandwidth per gb of storage.

But these new guys are offering, 80GB storage with 600gb of bandwidth, which actually = 7.5gb per gb of space

and the 40GB storage solution works out at 10GB bandwidth.

So im not gonna be any worse of for the bandwidth than i am now to be honest.

Last I checked cPanel did not have a Windows version available.

When I said £500 per month I was talking about decent specced machines with management.

You waid you wanted MSSQL as well - you wont get that runnign on either of those machines.

$184 per month for management? Check if this means just applying windows patches or actually involves em doing summat. I wouldn't be charging anything less than £100 per month for server management ($190 ish) not including hte price of the server.

People may charge less but I woudl strongly question what level of management they are providing.
    Andy

Originally posted by TDMWeb
    £100/month is too low for a managed server I'm afraid. It sounds like you don't want to do any server managment at all, so your budget would need to be 2 or 3 times that for the UK.

4D are a very competent and reliable bunch. If you go for a real budget level server you could find you get a big shock in terms of how poor the customer service is!
    Not true...
    We have Celeron 2.0GHz managed servers starting at $124.99 per month on tier-1 Verio Bandwidth.

For the UK, yes it will be higher... but for US hosting your budget is fine.

Originally posted by AGUK
    Last I checked cPanel did not have a Windows version available.
    Yeah I added that in there for grins . Might as well learn Linux while your at it and save money!

Anyway, I would still not use a Celeron, as it is not as good a processor as the P4/Athlon XP's. I have a test box with a Celeron in it, and it is very flakey.