Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Remove fans in 1U server to reduce noise.

After ordering my first 1U, I am warned over and over again that it should not be used at home due to fans' noise. But I really need to run it in an apartment. The reason that the noisy is bigger is because there are more fans in rackmount than in tower. The logic for more fans is because the space is smaller. Here is my plan:

Step 1
    Remove all fans

Step2
    A Use a home fan ($10 in walmart) to blow it. The home fan has more power than all those interal fans, as long as there is good airflow within the case.
    or
    B In cold weather, put the machine outside. The question is at what tempeture range, the server can be run.
    or
    C Open the box, so the heat will go up. Put metal on top memory and CPU in addition to those heatsink. But I am worried, the metal will easily short curcuit the board.

Do you think my Noise Reduction plan will work?
    Trusted

I almost thought this was a joke, the reason the fans are so loud is because they are very poweful and suck a lot of air through the rackmount chassis and blow it out the back. It's not even that bad, you'll get used to it.

a) won't work it'll over heat
    b) why not just throw it off the balcony while youre at it?
    c) won't work either

The internals of a chassis are specifically designed, and sometimes propriertarily, to allow for wind tunelling to the proper places to cool all the neccesary parts, and then expell the hotair out the back while sucking new air in fron the front.

lol lol lol, are you going for funniest thread of the summer?

Why did you just not buy a server in a midi-ATX case?
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Assuming this thread isn't a joke...

Adding metal to the heatsink isn't going to be a great idea. It will be difficult to get enough heat transfer between the heatsink and the added metal unless it's welded on or something to that effect. If you have a powerful walmart type fan and you stand your server up with its top off and blow the fan directly at the server aiming for the processor it *may* cool it enough depending on the design of the heatsink. If it's a nice big flattish pure copper heatsink that's designed for passive cooling then you're likely to get decent results, but if it's a heatsink designed for a special small fan to be placed on it then it's likely to have grooves that are too small to let enough air in since it's designed to have air forced into it, not passed over it. Just monitor your temp in bios or with your m/b software package and mess with it. It's certainly not an ideal situation though.
    I assure you my ignorance is not blissful.

Place it inside a much larger chassis and run the wiring from the actual computer to the buttons on the larger chassis and then insulate the space between. Make sure you run air ducts between the computer itself and the orifices on the larger chassis.

yeah if your apt is too small to accomidate anything but a 1u chassis it is time to get a bigger apt

B In cold weather, put the machine outside. The question is at what tempeture range, the server can be run.
    You could build an igloo in your backyard and put a rack of them in there..

I can see it now on the main page of your website. "Coolest Datacenter in the country!"

why not just take the lid off and put it in the fridge or the freezer but seriously you should just cancel the 1u server if you still can and buy a atx tower server which will take up more room but will be alot more suitable for use in the home and will still have the same power as a 1u server
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

Another thought just came to me! (As you will see I am full of great ideas )

You could pack snow inside the case in the winter time which will provide cooling for the CPU and as an added benefit it would help to deaden the sound.

In the summer just crank your AC down to like 40c and it should keep it just as cool.

Actually, in smaller apartments, it's just best to keep the whole thing in your fridge.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I am not joking here. I need to run the 1U for a while (few months) before sending it to the datacenter. I have never seem or hear a 1U server in person, only from website.

The case comes with 150W power. The same machine is discussed on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...965&perpage=30
    I don't know how much noise the 150w powered fan can make.

I really need a noise reduction solution here. I know it is not a normal question, as in datacenters, noise is never a problem.
    Trusted

Pretty funny stuff.. The thing about puting your computer outside *might* work if you used your garrage or somthing thats non-heated, I know mine gets around 60-70 degrees, which would be optimal for running, I belive most DC's are set to 61-63? There also is the point of temperature that condensation will occur in the heated areas which you would have to lookout for.

Im curious why you had to have the 1U rack, in cubit feet, some racks are just about the same as a desktop computer not to mention then make smaller desktops anyways. Did you plan to impress someone? heh

If anyone knows optimal temps for running do share along with condensation temps!

Am I the only person who actually likes the noise from loud fans?

As comical as this thread seems to be, I actually dealt with a somewhat similar dilemma recently myself.

Fortunately I have a house and some space to deal with the problem.

My situation was similar--I wanted to run/use a 1U server that was very loud before sending it to a colo. I really could not keep it very long inside the house. Just didn't fly with the wife. She would have to shut the door to our shared office if she wanted to even be able to think.

I ultimately put it in the garage for a while and connected it to the network using a wireless bridge. Unfortunately this was very unreliable because of the wireless connectivity (needed a bigger antenna), but it was mildly serviceable.

Ultimately I decided to just spend a day configuring it all and sent it to the colo facility. It's just much nicer having it there to work on vs. trying to make it work in our house.

You might consider some kind of sound dampening like foam insulation, but I'd think that'd make the box very hot eventually and might burn out components.

I've had a Dell server (PE1750 I believe) whose fans would scream like a Banshee if you didn't plug both redundant power supplies in. That would be an insane amount of noise to deal with. A 1U box with a 150W power supply really may not generate that much noise though so I'd just take a wait-and-see attitude.

When I was younger I actually liked louder computers. I used to have a monster case with a 500W power supply (this was in the days when such a thing was huge) and loved all the noise. Now I just want my computers whisper-quiet.

Data centers will always be "loud" but the tendency in that environment is that there is so much hardware noise it tends to merge into almost white/background noise. The taller the DC ceilings, the better I imagine.

Originally posted by concept
    Am I the only person who actually likes the noise from loud fans?

actually I am wth you really. I cannot stand a quiet pc, its like a good healthy V8 engine. just something comforting about it

but I guess if you are really concerned about fan noise just put the machine in a closet and get some longer cords. I personally would not take them out, you will mess up the cooling......unless you do water cooling with teh lid off

Originally posted by rmurray321
    actually I am wth you really. I cannot stand a quiet pc, its like a good healthy V8 engine. just something comforting about it

but I guess if you are really concerned about fan noise just put the machine in a closet and get some longer cords. I personally would not take them out, you will mess up the cooling......unless you do water cooling with teh lid off
    A properly cooled 1U server would sound like a vacuum cleaner - putting a vaccum cleaner in a closet is still too loud.

I think the only way is to turn up the boombox to have the music louder than the server.

another way - take the lid off, and use dry ice.

Major problems with condensation using dry ice at -70C.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764

quote:
    Hit everyone I know who works for IBM currently because of the noise level of the Netfinity 4000R's im using for my HA testing... damn things make more noise than ground zero at a nuclear test site.

http://www.advogato.org/person/spot/diary.html?start=7
    Trusted

I have an older 1U that I keep in a large closet in my basement ... when they finished off the basement, I had them put insulation on all 4 walls, and there's a solid core door. When the door is shut, I don't hear a damn thing. When the door is open ... it pretty much sounds like I'm running a vacuum 24x7.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

vacuum cleaner: 110v at 12A =1320W, all it does is using fan to suck.

1u: 150w, it needs to power CPU, harddrive, different cards, maybe it will have 4-7 fans, but they are much smaller and weaker than vacuum clearner.

My laptop using 73W, about half of 1U. I hear nothing coming out of it.

That means the extra fans are taking at most 75W totally.

My plastic table fan takes 35W. Even if I have 3-4 of them, I will not hear much.

Why do 1U fans make the same noise as the one with 20x bigger power?

Why 1U makers select noisy fans? Just to make sure they can not be used at home so they can sell more desktops and laptops?
    Trusted

The noise doesn't have have to much to do with the watts used. Just because its a 150 watt power supply doesn't mean that the fans cant be really loud.

Get a couple 1u blowers, and the noise will rival anything in your apartment. Its how they are designed not the watts used that will make it horribly loud. 1300 watt vacum vs 150 watt 1u server on startup, have a science project

Originally posted by qllonceagain

Why 1U makers select noisy fans? Just to make sure they can not be used at home so they can sell more desktops and laptops?
    Because they didnt expect you to use them in your house. They make sissy consumer ones for home use. In a datacenter your not really worried about how much noise a server is making. On that point, if you cant stand cold, or the never ending noise fans make, didnt go on a datacenter visit.
    Last edited by concept; 08-04-2005 at 05:23 PM.

Our latest batch of servers have been loud even by normal 1U standards, 2 x 10k RPM fans, 2 x 5k RPM fans and 4 x 15,000+10,000 RPM contrarotating fans, incredibly good cooling, huge amounts of noise.

I think the noise has to do the with high RPMs that the 1U fans rotate at to get sufficient airflow. I think this is just a matter of physics ... anything spinning at 10,000 rpm is gonna make a hell of a lot of noise.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Originally posted by qllonceagain
    vacuum cleaner: 110v at 12A =1320W, all it does is using fan to suck.

1u: 150w, it needs to power CPU, harddrive, different cards, maybe it will have 4-7 fans, but they are much smaller and weaker than vacuum clearner.

My laptop using 73W, about half of 1U. I hear nothing coming out of it.

That means the extra fans are taking at most 75W totally.

My plastic table fan takes 35W. Even if I have 3-4 of them, I will not hear much.

Why do 1U fans make the same noise as the one with 20x bigger power?

It's not about the power used.

1U servers use multiple (8-9) small fans. Since the fans are small, they are extremely fast. Not only they make a lot of noise, they make high-pitch annoying noise.

Dell has information on all its servers online and the noise level of the 1U and 2U servers (non redundant PS) are:

PowerEdge SC1425: 66db
    PowerEdge 2850: 66db
    PowerEdge 1850: 68db

It would be even louder if you have redundant PS.

Now, take a look at http://www.lhh.org/noise/decibel.htm . In the 60+ range, we have:

65 - 95 power lawn mower
    60 - 85 vacuum cleaner
    60 - 95 hair dryer
    65 - 80 alarm clock
    70 freeway traffic
    70 TV audio
    70 - 80 coffee grinder

We are not kidding when we talk about the sound of vacuum cleaner!

This thread is just plain wacky.. And the funny part is the OP is not joking..

OP, please I am begging you give up this crazy plan. Its not going to work. Leave the fans inside, let them do their job unless your planning on using the top of the server as a skillet for making bacon and eggs.

mmmm.... bacon
    Andrι Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Actually, you don't need the chassis at all. Just screw the components down to a piece of particle board. As long as you have a cpu fan your machine will run.

This is commonly done for a mobo that is used for testing peripherals in test labs.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Either go out and buy either...
    a) a water cooling system (probably overkill, but you can get silent ones)
    b) a large chassis (4U)
    c) JUST SEND IT TO THE DATACENTER!!!

Or you could pack if full of dry ice, and pour Liquid Nitrogen on it when it gets too hot

Originally posted by PSFServers
    Actually, you don't need the chassis at all. Just screw the components down to a piece of particle board. As long as you have a cpu fan your machine will run.

This is commonly done for a mobo that is used for testing peripherals in test labs.

I remember the first dual machine I built I actually mounted to the side of my desk where the cpu tower is suppose to go. The tower I bought was too damn tall so I said forget it and mounted it to the side. It lasted about 4 years until I got rid of the desk and I went through a few different computer configs too. One of these days I will find my pics. Hillbilly engineering at its best

Running bare would work - until you accidentally dropped a screw onto something. happened to me once and fried a HD.

3 persons
    PSFServers
    rmurray321
    riverpast
    voted for opening the box to open air

1 person
    RajH
    voted it will not work.

3:1

I will go ahead to remove all fans. I will try to document the process and take pictures.
    Trusted

it will work like he said IF you have a CPU fan still. the other fans aren't that necessary. Without the CPU fan you're going to reach tempuratures that are not necessarily going to fry your CPU but have the potential to.
    I assure you my ignorance is not blissful.

This is insanity... I hope there will still be some of your 1U server left to send to the datacenter. I still think you should run down to comp usa or go to newegg and buy a cheap tower... it would be cheaper than replacing your entire 1U server.

This thread is so funny, can't stopp laughing while reading it. Way to go.

Lightbulb

why dont you fill the chassis with water? Wont need to carry it outside then....

I would NOT remove all the fans. Think about it, if the server has been designed with that many fans to go in a data center which is a controlled enviroment, what do u think is going to happen with NO fans in an uncontrolled enviroment?
    Danny

On the upside, he'd be able to cook his lunch/dinner etc. on it, and it'd make a good coffee warmer.

Wal Mart, Ear plugs $2.00, or if you want to go all out visit the sporting goods dept and get a good set of shooting muffs $20.00 you will never hear the fans.

If you just take the cover off and remove the fans your cpu fans won't get properly cooled. The system depends on fresh air being sucked in at some place and pushed out. You may have bad results.

Just install larger fans.. They spin at lower rpm but will cool the same..

Just opening the case as DaSoul mentioned will not get air circulating.. Sure it will vent the hot air but won't move it around or across the parts that need cooling.

There's alot more to building a PC/Server then stuffing a bunch of fans in it. This usually causes more problems unless you know what you are doing..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast