* Importance of Knowledge Bases for Hosting Services

Hello Guys,
    Can we discuss what are the important aspects of a good, reliable and effective knowledge base for a customer-based hosting services.

Well it saves us at least 20-30 tickets a week. Also its very satisfying to see a ticket come in and then a "Closed via knowledge base suggestion"

Rs
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Re: Importance of Knowledge Bases for Hosting Services

Originally posted by sibertest
    Can we discuss what are the important aspects of a good, reliable and effective knowledge base for a customer-based hosting services.
    Sure.

A good helpful knowledge base (KB) can and will save you a lot of time. Add to that some live flash demos, and you have a good resource for your clients, that will not only help them, but save you time too. It's a win - win.

Aspects of your KB should be -

(1). Easy to find for your clients. Make sure you make them aware of the KB. Maybe you could add the link to your KB in your helpdesk sig, and that way you ensure that your clients know about it. Don't assume they know where it is.

(2). Your KB must be simple, yet detailed enough to provide real assistance. When building your KB, put yourself in a new client's shoes, and read it from their perspective.

(3). Your KB must have pictures/screenshots/walk throughs etc. Pictures are powerful, and easy to acquire with any half reasonable graphics app.

(4). Your KB should incorporate live demos, as an addition to your articles/walk throughs etc. You can build these live demos yourself, or buy them from someone reputable like demodemo.com. A few hundred dollars invested there, will save you untold thousands over the coming years.

Just some quick thoughts, as this has always been a passion of mine, and I can't understate the importance of a good KB.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I'd agree, and a lot of customers prefer to look up the answer. A good library of FAQ's and prewritten answers will noticably reduce the number of help desk tickts.

What is the most popular knowledgebase software? I'm looking for one to be used on my web site?

MasterWebMan,

Personally I like kayako.
    Although adding/removing was a pain, it functioned flawlessly after setup.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Kayako is good, but not very search engine friendly. If you are going to have a knowledge base - having google index it is icing on the cake. Kayako as a help desk is great though.

Yeah, just build your own KB articles, into your site etc.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!