Registering a .ca domain

Hello all,

I have searched around this forum in regards to this topic, but I noticed that many of the threads are from a while ago. I would like to have some updated info about the registrars. (TIA!)

I would like to register a .ca domain, but after reading many threads, here is what I gather:

- Looks like people are having problems with Domainsatcost and Registerfly (bad support), so I guess I should stay away from those... but I do like their free Privacy features though. Have they improved recently?
    - Read a lot of good things about Baremetal, but would like some up-to-date info.
    - Netfirms is the cheapest, but I'm not sure how good they are as there aren't too many reviews. I see many bad experiences, but they seem to be with the American site.
    - I haven't really looked into 10dollar.ca or Namespro, except I've read that people are happy with them.

I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but I want reliability and decent support in this price range. I am going to point the DNS of this domain to my 1and1 hosting if that matters. If there are any other Canadian registrars I left out, please let me know about them.

So which would be a good choice for me?

Thanks for your help!

For reliability, BareMetal (now only CAN$12.99) and EasyHosting (CAN$19.99) are good, and both of them have been around long enough to know the stuff. Hope this helps.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

baremetal I have heard good things, I have also heard regfly has improved their .ca registrations since they moved to a new platform
    Domain Maven

I just realized that Registerfly is an American company, and I remember reading that it is better to register a .ca domain with a Canadian company. So any comments on Netfirms, 10dollar.ca, or Namespro?

Just wanna explore my options first. Thanks.

I have two .ca domains through Namespro. Had them for almost one year and yet to see any problems with them.

for cctld I would normally just recommend using a local company(if you live in that country)
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    for cctld I would normally just recommend using a local company(if you live in that country)
    Right on. Or at least for .CA domains, you should go to a Canadian (CIRA-certified) registrar. And mind you that eNom Canada is NOT exactly what we would call a *local* company.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I would never recommend using enom for any CCTLD, too many issues.
    Domain Maven

My vote goes fro NamesPro

baremetal.com is super. great support. level heads. good prices.

I mostly use easyhosting.ca for the Canadian domain registration.
    Never had a problem with them, the only draw back I have is that they dont provide free domain forwarding.

GS

I don't have any experience with the registrars you named. However, I've registered a couple of .ca domains through NetNation, which is a reseller for DomainPeople. The support I got was through NetNation, which I found to be good the one or 2 times I needed support.

They offer domain forwarding.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

i registered a domain through namespro and liked their set up.

tho netfirms is $3 cheaper, i'll register my next .ca domain with namespro just to keep my accounts in the same place.

Originally posted by soulstice99
    i registered a domain through namespro and liked their set up.
    May I ask HOW (in what way) you like their setup? (I have yet to try them out.) Thanks.

well the site is very easy to navigate once u login. there's no popups, tiny links, ads, pre-checked checkboxes, or gaudy multi-coloured buttons all over the place. this could be an aesthetic thing. it's a very grey page with a simple grey menu with buttons like this.

my account
    domain list
    support history
    order history
    account settings
    register a domain
    transfer a domain
    renew a domain
    web hosting
    e-mail hosting
    DNS hosting

is this worth the additional $3 bucks? not sure.

For one or two domain names, paying 3.00 more and getting quality is the best way to go.
    Domain Maven

I've used Baremetal and Tera-Byte. Had good experiences with both. The cheapest seems to be domainsatcost.ca but I cannot comment on their quality of service.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

I've used namespro & domainsatcost.

I love namespro.. better support imo. Very easy to use and cheap & realiable.

I've used baremetal.
    I was quite satisfied.

The domain was registered about a year ago. So it was a fairly recent experience but not too recent.
    Last edited by macdonaldp; 09-25-2005 at 10:34 PM.

I have two domains registered with 10dollar.ca... I've never had a problem with them. I contacted support and recieved a reply fairly quickly with an informative response.

I like them!

I really like NamePro. Great pricing and excellent support!
    Omar

Originally posted by WebbyMedia
    I really like NamePro.
    You mean NameSPro, right?

I think he meant namespro.ca
    Domain Maven

i have couple of domains with www.budgetnames.ca for 2 years... i haven't had any problems with them but the only thing is it takes a little time to update dns changes...like couple of hours... other than that they are great...
    price is 12.9X...