Setting up a free host....

Good Day All! New here, and this looks like a good place for some help......

I was toying with the idea of setting up a small free host site. I was wondering if someone can point me towards a software solution for running such a place.

You know, to automate signups, setup the folders, insert the ads (ok, gotta try and make SOME money), etc.

I unfortunately am basically useless when it comes to any type of code other than HTML. Therefore I am looking for something rather complete, and low maintenence, or with an easy to use control panel that does not require me to mess with code directly.

I thank you all in advance for your time.

(Any other tidbits of help would be great!)

without some investments you willn not get success. look to hsphere product (fully automated hosting solution) or may be with some billing panel like or all above software (except hsphere) you may use on leased terms.
    regarding insertion ads to clients pages you will need add to your configuration apache nodule called as mod_layout (just for example).
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

The first thing you need to do is to get a server. If you have a low budget then get a VPS instead. Most VPS providers will have the option of adding control panel (like cpanel, plesk, directadmin) for a small fee (like $5/mo) or even free.

For the signup script you can do a search on You will find some scripts that support free hosting, but most of them are not free.

If you need a absolutely free script then try, but I'm not sure if it works for free hosting.

Good Luck - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002 - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

I dont mind paying for the software to get things up and running. I will require support, therefore paying is the appropriate answer. I do already have server space.

I will check hotscripts. Thanks for the tips.

San Francisco, CA
    If you're looking for software, you might want to try Homefree or WebUMake Web. I'm not sure how their support is right now, so make sure you make contact with them before plopping down your cash. This can apply to any software script that you wish to buy. - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

Proud She-Geek
    Also check out iPanel and/or iHost ( I just started using iPanel and am quite pleased. It allows for free/paid accounts with auto setup or admin approval setup. The owner also said in the next version of iPanel will be the option of forced ads (for the hostee's accounts).
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

YeahYeah! Homefree and Webumake seems like what I am looking for.

Now, says forced ads will be later on.... Best I can tell, the first 2 will inject a header/footer at my request. Is this that same thing?Cuz thats what I need....

Not being a script guy, is there much to setting up systems like these?

Thanks Folks.
    You have been a monsterous help so far!

iPanel v2.01 with the forced ads is in beta right now. This will add the header/footer to all free accounts. Should be released within a few weeks once it's tested out fully.

not sure if you checked the price on homefree but it's $499 thats kind of steep if you ask me and webumake web doesn't have the forced ads feature you are looking for as far as i can see from there site but correct me if i am wrong. iHost v3 in beta Host Automation - iPanel v4 beta With Forced Ads in User Sites, illegal file scanner, and new post 4 hosting feature
    www.domainuptime.comSite monitoring

webumake - Add advertising banners to your users' web pages, and disable them for specific users or specific templates.

Homefree has a more basic package for $299

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Behind You.
    how about for security? I am thinking of setting up a very small free host but I am very concerned for security, I know php is a very dangerous language.

Can someone please help us guys out with some security tips?

like how to make it so members who sign up for a free subdomain or subfolder, cannot access or edit any files in any other directory, I do not believe open_basedir = ./ is strong enough, I can bypass it without any trouble.

Things I'd like to know what to secure:

I'd like to know how I can lock the server down, so tight, that users that sign up, can't upload a virus to the system, they can't spam out from the system, maybe a maximum of 20 emails PER subdomain account avaliable to send out daily, and things like that. It is far too easy for some kiddie script hacker to upload a shell script to a free account and then they have full access, they start browsing directories they should not be able to access.

What should be changed/added to httpd.conf and what should be changed/added to php.ini are the most important things I would like to know.

What other scripts are there?

So far I believe we have a list of:

Homefree & Homefree Pro

NONE of these I believe have forced ads except homefree, right? I mean if it's "coming soon", that doesn't really matter until it's here.

Best I can tell, they ALL insert ads EXCEPT "coming soon"

In the complete features list of each software allows headers and footers be added.

You can use a mod_ function in apache to do this yourself, I believe.

As for WebUMake, I just visited their site and they say they have discontinued selling of WebUMake products, though they will support all current license holders. I am sorry to see this but I have to give them respect for making the announcement and ceasing to sell the product when so many others just keep taking orders while they fade..

Another place to look for free hosting info is It is another forum run by webhostingtalk that is for free hosts.

just an update ipanel does now have forced ads. iHost v3 in beta Host Automation - iPanel v4 beta With Forced Ads in User Sites, illegal file scanner, and new post 4 hosting feature

Just a few questions to IHostDev, I'm wondering why on your site you do not offer a free trial of IPANEL, but you do offer a free trial of IHOST?

Also, I'm looking for a free webhosting script w/ forced ad's. I use Cpanel/Whm for my paid hosting customers currently (but no billing software as of yet). On your website I don't really understand the "Main" differnece between the two scripts. Does it sounds like IPanel would be the script I'm looking for?

Last edited by gina28; 10-18-2005 at 01:29 PM.

We will be offering ipanel once it's out of beta. For what you are alooking for ipanel has those features. ihost is very simple with no option to have forced ads.

Thanks iHost v3 in beta Host Automation - iPanel v4 beta With Forced Ads in User Sites, illegal file scanner, and new post 4 hosting feature