Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

City versus country living

Some people grow up in a city. And they think nothing of the fact that their neighbors are but a few feet to the left and right of them.

Others grow up in the country and can't imagine having a neighbor any closer than 2 acres away. (I know that when my inlaws visit from their farm residence, they cringe at the fact that they can actually see our neighbor out the side window).

Still, others grow up in the city, and later in life, move to the country to get that "extra space" between them and their neighbors.

And finally, you have the country boy/girl who's had enough of the farm, and wants to get jiggy with it in tight-quartered city life.

So where do you fit in? Do you enjoy being at arm's length with your neighbors? Or do you prefer to see nobody when looking out your window?

The one danger I see in preferring solitude is that it tends to make people loners, and that's a shame, because sharing good times with others makes life that much more fulfilling. If you live out in the boonies, unless you make an effort to have a social life, you end up quite alone.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I grew up in the city (well, okay, the suburbs of Chicago) and the country. I personally prefer country living - as long as it's in town.

I wouldn't want to live in the middle of a cornfield, as it is just too isolated. However, the people in the country tend to be a LOT nicer than 'city folk'. In the city it's all about what you have, how you look, and what you can do for me.

Besides all that, country living is cheaper. We would never qualify for a mortgage in the city since housing starts at $125,000 for a dump. Here, $60,000 can buy you a nice house.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

My Dad (bless his soul) used to grow everything that he ate. We had a farm property and he would spend all his time out there growing everything from potatos to tomatos to peppers to corn to basil to carrots to peas to...well, you get the idea.

Yes, house prices are definitely cheaper in the country. A big bonus. I'm just not sure I would want to give up the convenience of all the amenities that a city provides.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

vito - what I ahve found is that people in the "country" and smaller towns tend to actually socialize and know their neighbors a lot better than those in the city - many of which see their neighbor every morning and afternoon - yet dont know their name and have never said anything to them other than hi.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Vito you know my answer I would think. I am a country boy in heart and always will be. I love the bigger cities like Missoula that have 60,000 people in them, but I could never live in one. I am fine with the 15,000 people who live in my city. Heck even now it is getting to big for my tastes.

Originally posted by vito
    I'm just not sure I would want to give up the convenience of all the amenities that a city provides.

Vito
    Believe me, you get used to it . Actually, it probably ends up saving money in the long run, since you have to think twice about driving 20 miles to the mall, etc.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Country, but I have neighbors less than 100Feet away from me, I live on a branch of lake michigan.

I've only ever lived in the boonies but having traveled and spent time in cities is enough to make me never want to go on a major highway again.

The town I live in has about 6500 people in the winter and about 100,000+ in the summer, so the summer time feels more like a city. I love the fall when you can get around town in a matter of minutes and it hasn't turned into a ghost town yet. What would bother me the most in the city is the traffic. I hate in the summer when my commute to work is 10 minutes, much less an hour or longer to go the same distance in a big city.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

I grew up in the country, in a farming community in western New York state -- a town of about 2,000 people, until I was 14. Then to a bigger place, but still pretty much small town life. Since college I've always lived in the city, and at least for the foreseeable future wouldn't have it any other way.

Originally posted by sailor
    vito - what I ahve found is that people in the "country" and smaller towns tend to actually socialize and know their neighbors a lot better than those in the city - many of which see their neighbor every morning and afternoon - yet dont know their name and have never said anything to them other than hi.
    Seems like people who don't live in the city often say that. But I live in NYC and I know my neighbors. We'll socialize, sharing a meal or just hanging out chatting on the front stoop over a coffee or a beer.

If someone who doesn't belong in our building comes in, we know it. We watch out for each other; I know if someone were trying to break into my apartment a neighbor would challenge them... just like I remember my dad stopping at a neighboring farm when we drove by, to chase away some people who were about to steal gas from the neighbor's unlocked pump. Of course up there in the country the odds were a lot better that someone could get away with something like that without someone happening by to see them.

I love that I don't have to get into the car to go to the grocery store, or out to dinner, or to go shopping for clothes, or really for anything at all. Within a couple of blocks are parks, libraries, a variety of shops and stores, and friendly bars where I can meet more neighbors. Jump on the subway and in minutes I can be at some of the best museums in the world, eat food of any ethnic variety, and meet all kinds of people.

Of course, sometimes I want to get away... but I can get in the car and be on a deserted beach in an hour, or in the Adirondack mountains in five.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Not too city and not too country. I don't like living in crammed flats or terrace houses, nor do I like the feeling that I am the only human being in a few acres...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by P-nut
    I grew up in the city (well, okay, the suburbs of Chicago) and the country. I personally prefer country living - as long as it's in town.

I wouldn't want to live in the middle of a cornfield, as it is just too isolated. However, the people in the country tend to be a LOT nicer than 'city folk'. In the city it's all about what you have, how you look, and what you can do for me.

Besides all that, country living is cheaper. We would never qualify for a mortgage in the city since housing starts at $125,000 for a dump. Here, $60,000 can buy you a nice house.
    Paid 210k for a 2 bedroom in Marina Towers, and $300 a month for parking. I live in a suburb or chicago now, but my mother lives there now. I could not handle the traffic, and the prices. I grew up in the city, but after awhile it just gets to be too much and have to move to something a little more calmer.

nullnic

I grew up in the city, and I can't stand the country.

Interesting replies so far.

I'm kinda torn. I've lived in city life for 46 years, but for 18 years, I owned a business that happened to be located on our 100 acre farm, and I spent a lot of my time at the business. So I have had a good taste of both.

Still undecided.

Vito

Interesting replies so far.

I'm kinda torn. I've lived in city life for 46 years, but for 18 years, I owned a business that happened to be located on our 100 acre farm, and I spent a lot of my time at the business. So I have had a good taste of both.

Still undecided.

Vito

How big is the city you live in?

Originally posted by JayC
    I grew up in the country, in a farming community in western New York state -- a town of about 2,000 people, until I was 14. Then to a bigger place, but still pretty much small town life. Since college I've always lived in the city, and at least for the foreseeable future wouldn't have it any other way.

Seems like people who don't live in the city often say that. But I live in NYC and I know my neighbors. We'll socialize, sharing a meal or just hanging out chatting on the front stoop over a coffee or a beer.

If someone who doesn't belong in our building comes in, we know it. We watch out for each other; I know if someone were trying to break into my apartment a neighbor would challenge them... just like I remember my dad stopping at a neighboring farm when we drove by, to chase away some people who were about to steal gas from the neighbor's unlocked pump. Of course up there in the country the odds were a lot better that someone could get away with something like that without someone happening by to see them.

I love that I don't have to get into the car to go to the grocery store, or out to dinner, or to go shopping for clothes, or really for anything at all. Within a couple of blocks are parks, libraries, a variety of shops and stores, and friendly bars where I can meet more neighbors. Jump on the subway and in minutes I can be at some of the best museums in the world, eat food of any ethnic variety, and meet all kinds of people.

Of course, sometimes I want to get away... but I can get in the car and be on a deserted beach in an hour, or in the Adirondack mountains in five.
    I live in the city per se for most peoples standards. our population is about 75K

I am about 10 miles from the city of atlanta - population 5 mil.

I can speak from experience - although not extreme downtown living - neighbors are not too social - however in the small towns I lived in it was much better as well my wife speaks of the same thing.

how often do the city dwellers do anything with the neighbors?

like dinner or movies or game night or just help out on a domestic project ? that virtually never happens here.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by Torith
    How big is the city you live in?
    Latest figures are 5 Million in the Greater Toronto Area.

Vito

Originally posted by sailor

how often do the city dwellers do anything with the neighbors?

like dinner or movies or game night or just help out on a domestic project ? that virtually never happens here.
    I live in a city with about 15,000 people in it (was around 14,000 in 2000), and I will say for the most part people are nice. They open doors for you, and over all are great. With my neighbors we have BBQs, and other things once in a while. As well if you have a flat tire or stuck in a ditch they will give you a ride or pull you out depending on the car or truck they have.

I prefer the city life. I've lived in both areas though.

My experience of country life is somewhat different from other people. When I lived in the country, neighbors weren't very social IMO, and the cost of living was higher.

Now, you may be wondering why that is the case. Where I lived, is where tons of people who got burnt out from city life, or had a lot of cash and wanted a huge house lived. Of course there were farmers and such, but everyone was busy as they had to go quite a ways to buy many of the things they needed.

I live in a small city now ~70K people, and find that many people are very social, and friendly. My neighbors routinely say hi, etc.

Latest figures are 5 Million in the Greater Toronto Area.

Vito
    Move now do not look back... what you waiting for run! I would go crazy if I ever lived in a place like that!

I live out in the suburbs of atlanta, so I can go 20 minutes either way and either get into a huge urban metropolis, or small town areas. A bit more and I really get into the country. To be honest, I like it both ways. I love going out and living simply, but at the same time I love the convenience of big city life. If I had the choice, I'd probably live in a city, just for the convenience of not having to drive everywhere (as I do now)
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by Xshare
    To be honest, I like it both ways.
    To be frank, me too. I'd like to have the best of both worlds.

Currently, we do not live in the "city". We live in the suburbs. But still, our neighbor's houses are but 20 feet away on either side. The bonus is that we live in a home that is on a pie shaped lot and backs onto a forest. So for the most part, if we want that feeling of being "in the country", it isn't that far of a stretch for us. I can walk out to the back patio in the morning and sit and have a cup of coffee, and watch blue jays and robins flying around on the trees, and have no inkling whatsoever that there are houses mere feet to my left and right.

On the other hand, there is nothing like having the convenience of a block plaza within a 5 minute drive where you have access to everything from 24 hour grocery store, liquor store, clothing, movie theater, dry cleaner, restaurants, Home Depot, etc., etc.

Vito

I can walk out to the * back patio in the morning and sit and have a cup of coffee, and watch blue jays and robins flying around on the trees...
    *mosquito free

City I grew up in has the motto "Country livin', City Style." That's my preference. I don't like the idea of apartments or condos (too close to my neighbors) and I wouldn't want to live out in the sticks. I'm also a light sleeper which is another reason I don't want to live in a dense area.

Not fond of "Chateau Ghetto" where medium-large houses are built 6 feet apart with no back yard. Too close together, might as well live in a much cheaper townhome. I live in an older house on about 1/4 acre, just enough to stretch my legs. I have neighborsr on all sides in a neighborhood of 1200 houses, but honestly I never think about that.

I also live within 20 minutes of a major city (Seattle) and 5 minutes from most amenities. Ah, Suburbia.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by DanX
    *mosquito free
    Spot on, Dan. (I see you've read my previous threads ) Many thanks to the Mosquito Magnet.

Vito

I've lived in the country all my life. I've worked on ranches, farms and at a mountain resort. The wilderness is my home, but I can't stay here for ever.

I go to college in a small city (~85000k people) and regularly visit the "big city" Vancouver.

I enjoy the quicker pace of the city, as well as the lights, constant action, and all the fun things to do. But I hate public transit, commuting and apartment living. I also despise suburbs, cubicles and the smell of exhaust. I feel dead inside if I stay there for too long. Many city people seem really superficial too, which gets to me. They're only as good as the coffee they drink or something.

But luckily I live in an area of the world where no matter where you are, the country is close by. I know that when the time comes to move to the city, I can be out in the wilderness in less than an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast