Tweaking mod_security

I do NOT like this module as I have had nothing but problems with it crippling the server(s). Well, I have it now, and it is throwing 500, 503 and 404 errors all over the place.

Does anyone have a resource I can reference that will assist me with the rules I need to add/remove on this beast so that it quits killing my sites?

I am not a reseller, this is a private box and I am the only one with shell.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Shavishly devoted cheerleader of the Steve-cult

why you just not remove it from you httpd.conf?
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Already did.

I didn't want this installed, but since it was, I was hoping that there were some rules that would allow me to use it.

Unfortunately, I am only finding things specific to phpBB and Nuke though, neither of which apply.

tweak mod_security

Hello ,

It is not at all a good idea to remove the module if you don't know how to twek it of tune it to your needs. Actually is a very good module which can secure your server to some extend. The thing is that it is a MUST module for a secure server.

Read this thread HERE specifically the last two posts by rfxn.

Those rules are working great for me. They are for apache 2, and there is a modified version for apache 1 later on in the thread.

If you are having trouble with it, read the audit_log to see what is tripping the block rule and modify it accordingly.
    Last edited by netscan; 08-04-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Thank you netscan. This is just what I was looking for.

I wonder why a search on mod_security didn't bring up that huge thread?

No problem, sometimes it's like searching for a needle in a hay stack