Question VPS Features and Ease

Hi there everyone. I am new to the forum, and VPS. I have a few questions about VPS to all of you experts out there.

Okay, here is the intro. A group of us are setting up a small business dealing with Web production among other things. We would like to manage the hosting ourselves, and not refer our clients to other companies.

We are stuck between getting a dedicated server and a VPS. Financially, a VPS appears to be a better deal, especially to start with. So we'll most likely go with VPS for now.

So here are the questions I have about VPS.

1. Non of us are experienced administrators or security gurus, but are fast learners. How difficult is it to setup a VPS and maintain it with proper security? How difficult is it to update applications, like PHP, MySQL, etc.? Is this all done via shell commands or are there control panel interfaces that assist doing such things?

2. With a VPS, is it easy to add additional VPS's to your own little "network" of servers so to speak. For example, if your resources are too low, you purchase another VPS and get more resources. Is it possible to link these two, then three, four, etc.?

3. How anonymous is the VPS hosting provider? I know with 'reseller hosting' I can easily trace and find the actual hosting company. Is it the same with VPS? We would like to appear as the hosting company and in control so we do not constantly change prices depending on what they are offering.

4. What are some good Web sites that I can search for VPS packages. There aren't too many providers, maybe I'm searching incorrectly. If some of you have good recommendations, please let me know. Basically, I'm looking for a HIGHLY REPUTABLE company, with reasonable prices and a good amount of features. Both Linux and Windows VPS's are a plus, so we know Windows is there if we need it and not use a different company.

Thank you very much for your time. Looking forward to learning from your responses.

1. It's only easy when you know what you're doing, if you want to learn that's great, but don't do it on your production server! Until you know how, get a managed VPS.

2. Not quite sure what you mean here, you can add additional VPS's in the same way you can add an additional dedicated server, however it doesn't really work in terms of clustering. You can upgrade your VPS package though to a package with more resources.

3. VPS's are pretty anonymous, although a user can tell that a machine is a VPS, they wouldn't know who the provider was unless the provider had reverse DNS on their host machine (you can determine this by running a traceroute to a VPS on that providers servers).

4. You're at the perfect place Welcome to WHT, take a look at the top and do a search for what you're looking for. Tons of people have asked the same question as you already.

HTH

Dan

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about "managed VPS", I did a search and found that with a managed VPS the company will manage the server software/security for you (unless I misunderstood). That's probably the best solution for us, I will look at companies that offer that.

Do you by any chance know a few providers who do not have reverse DNS and provide the most anonymity? Not only reverse DNS, but say if you do a IPWHOIS lookup, you can get the contact info of the IP and it usually displays the hosting provider (owner of the actual server). I wonder if it is possible for a VPS IP to show different info, or maybe all IPs for that server display the owner's. I'm really not sure. I have a lot of researching to do.

Well, for managed VPS providers:

Steadfast Networks
    LiquidWeb

I do not know about LiquidWeb, but I know with Steadfast Networks you have to submit a ticket for Reverse DNS. In your case just don't submit the ticket.

A managed VPS is the way to go. I started out (and Karl and the rest of the Steadfast Networks team can attest to this) not knowing anything about Linux (I submitted alot of tickets ) and now I can easily find my way around, check logs, install apps, etc...

Good luck,

Re: VPS Features and Ease

Originally posted by ks123
    If some of you have good recommendations, please let me know. Basically, I'm looking for a HIGHLY REPUTABLE company, with reasonable prices and a good amount of features. Both Linux and Windows VPS's are a plus, so we know Windows is there if we need it and not use a different company.
    You might want to check these companies out.

I can personally recommend both Fluidvps and Servint
    as I have over a year's experience with each.....

No experience with dehe.com, but WHT user Apoc's
    posts here regarding VPS are very informative, IMHO

ALL three have been around for a while

Fully Managed
    Linux
    http://www.servint.net/vps/
    WHT user = BobFarmer

Semi Managed
    Linux
    https://www.fluidvps.com/site/index.cgi
    (part of fluidhosting.com)
    WHT user = FHDave

Fully Managed
    Linux and Windows
    http://www.dehe.com/showthread.php?t=18
    (part of solidhost.com / formally solidrack.com)
    WHT user = Apoc

1. Non of us are experienced administrators or security gurus, but are fast learners. How difficult is it to setup a VPS and maintain it with proper security? How difficult is it to update applications, like PHP, MySQL, etc.? Is this all done via shell commands or are there control panel interfaces that assist doing such things?

A) You can install CP+ or webmin to help you with these tasks. Also you can have you host register RedHat so any updates are done for you. But you should have some knowledge of what you are doing but if you are a novice CP+ and or webmin are a must! Also the hosting company should offer some extra support to help you out.

2. With a VPS, is it easy to add additional VPS's to your own little "network" of servers so to speak. For example, if your resources are too low, you purchase another VPS and get more resources. Is it possible to link these two, then three, four, etc.?

A) You shoud just be able to upgrade to a larger plan to avoid migrations. But you can migrate an account to another server or vps is needed at least you can with H-Sphere's Free VPS system.

3. How anonymous is the VPS hosting provider? I know with 'reseller hosting' I can easily trace and find the actual hosting company. Is it the same with VPS? We would like to appear as the hosting company and in control so we do not constantly change prices depending on what they are offering.

A) Only if the IP you are using belongs to the host. Other than that you shoud have no problems.

4. What are some good Web sites that I can search for VPS packages. There aren't too many providers, maybe I'm searching incorrectly. If some of you have good recommendations, please let me know. Basically, I'm looking for a HIGHLY REPUTABLE company, with reasonable prices and a good amount of features. Both Linux and Windows VPS's are a plus, so we know Windows is there if we need it and not use a different company.

A) This is a tuff one but you can search the fourms in the VPS offerings also check out jodohost I know they offer Free VPS also.

Hope this help PM me if you ave any other questions or need some more suggestions.
    Jason T. Dickman - Senior Server Tech
    Cloud Based Solutions, VPS, Linux, Windows, Dedicated
    Our Internet - Your Complete Web Hosting Solution

[QUOTE=bdsnyder]

Semi Managed
    Linux
    https://www.fluidvps.com/site/index.cgi
    (part of fluidhosting.com)
    WHT user = FHDave

Does semi-managed mean they do not provide backups?

What other differences are there? I can understand fully managed and not managed but i don't really have a good understanding of the semi-managed point.
    I approve this message.

just found the answer to my own question ... about three months ago fluidvps began daily incremental backup and weekly full backup of your VPS.
    I approve this message.

Do you realize this topic is almost 2 years old?