Thread: Athlon MP

Athlon MP

I looked and looked but couldn't really find anything regarding the performance of an athlon MP ?

They are starting to get outdated => prices dropping, looking at some bench marks they perform around 80-95% like xeons ?

Re: Athlon MP

Originally posted by Eoin
    I looked and looked but couldn't really find anything regarding the performance of an athlon MP ?

They are starting to get outdated => prices dropping, looking at some bench marks they perform around 80-95% like xeons ?
    I'm certain that they are EOL or soon to be, along with Athlon. They are still fine chips, but AMD is pushing 64 bit.

I went to a builders conference about a month ago. Asus told me they are soon discontinuing the mobo's we like to use for Barton's, in favor of 64 bit technology. In fact, AMD said it will be hard pressed to buy a 32 bit system of the shelf in a year.

AMD has a road map somewhere on their website for processors. If I can locate it again, I will post it.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Re: Re: Athlon MP

As promised, here's the AMD processor roadmap http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...18_608,00.html

We have a few MPs' still in service. They are used for Voice hosting platforms mostly which seems to work pretty well and are still decent machines which can be built for 1/3 of the price of most other Dual CPU systems..

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    We have a few MPs' still in service. They are used for Voice hosting platforms mostly which seems to work pretty well and are still decent machines which can be built for 1/3 of the price of most other Dual CPU systems..
    They are awesome machines.

you wouldnt be in bad shape to use one of the new dual core cpus, but yeah the mp's are nice, my main box is dual 2400+ mps

about $400 gets you a dual core amd that should outperform the mps by a significant margin so its up to you.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

7. I will recommend Athlon64 X2 3800 (dual-core SMP, 2.2G, dual 512K L2) on Tyan S2865G2nr which can be easily implemented in 1U chassis capable of good passive cooling, such as supermicro SC811T

the combo costs about the same with Mp2800 on tyan dual MP board which is rather difficult and expensive to be installed in 1U.

performance of A64 X2 will be way above 2x MP2800 and perhaps even better than low-end dual nocona platform.