Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proliant DL360 vs Poweredge 1550 vs Netfinity 4000R

by
    Compaq Dell IBM

All are brand names, 1U servers with Dual CPU

Anyone used them and shine some like on those machinese? I heard 4000R is not very good from a post here, as they are the same as VA Linux 1000 made by Network Engines

Proliant DL360 and Poweredge 1550 still hold very high price at eBay.

If they are not good, any other good Dual P3 1U machinese?

By the way, all 3 majors carry different lines of servers. Does anyone now the difference between different lines within the same brand?
    Last edited by qllonceagain; 08-03-2005 at 03:06 PM.
    Trusted

Re: Proliant DL360 vs Poweredge 1550 vs Netfinity 4000R

Is the DL360 you are referring to G2?
    If so, DL360 hands down.

Originally posted by qllonceagain
    by
    Compaq Dell IBM

All are brand names, 1U servers with Dual CPU

Anyone used them and shine some like on those machinese? I heard 4000R is not very good from a post here, as they are the same as VA Linux 1000 made by Network Engines

Proliant DL360 and Poweredge 1550 still hold very high price at eBay.

If they are not good, any other good Dual P3 1U machinese?

By the way, all 3 majors carry different lines of servers. Does anyone now the difference between different lines within the same brand?
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // sales@voxel.net

Re: Re: Proliant DL360 vs Poweredge 1550 vs Netfinity 4000R

Originally posted by nopzor
    Is the DL360 you are referring to G2?
    If so, DL360 hands down.
    I don't know about G2. I was refering to old Dual P3 servers. When you say some server is better than other, do you mean speed, reliablity or something else?
    Trusted

I use xServers 330 from IBM. Have one running for 5 years, never miss a bit.

I know that dell servers have a reoccuring problem with failing power supplys, so be sure to have spares on hand.

Originally posted by JLevine
    I know that dell servers have a reoccuring problem with failing power supplys, so be sure to have spares on hand.
    Is this from personal experience or are you just rehashing something you read somewhere by some guy? I have...at least 5 Dell Poweredge servers that have been running 24/7 for years, no problems, no fan failures.

I'd go with the 1550. I have two of them and they're solid machines.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Well, my dad works in the IT department at citibank and one of his responsibilities is to order new hardware. So I suppose you can say its a reliable source.

yeah you learn alot about companies when you deal with them on a large scale like that....thats one of the reasons I no longer buy Asus motherboards or anything sony. And why I am still skeptical of Dell machines

why dont you buy anything asus or sony?

Well, you can take advice from "someone's dad" or someone who has actually used the product. Decide as you will...

I have over 40 Dell PE's everything from 350's, 750, 1550, 1650, 1750, 2450, 2550, 2650, 2850, 2600, 400SC, 420SC.

Not 1 power supply failure in 4 years. So I think I speak from experience when I say that Dell's are as reliable as the next guy.

BTW, The DL360 G1's were some of the worst servers I have come across in my experience. We had a rack with 24 of them and it seemed like I was replacing drives at the rate of 1 per week. I think it was poor cooling design as these were one of the earliest 1U boxes.

Originally posted by JLevine
    why dont you buy anything asus or sony?

asus because of the horrific support system and rma time (average 1-2 months) sony because it is hard to get parts for them (for some reason they are always out of stock and on backorder for many weeks) and their optical components have a severe rate of failure from what I found

for example we ordered 150 sony cd roms and 40 of them were faulty right out of the box, and over the next 2 months we received another 12 back in the store. So I took the liberty of contacting everyone that had purchased a machine from us to bring it in so we could swap them out for a lite on replacement drive.

VALinux is fine. We have a couple of them and they are OK. IBM Netfinity 4000R, then we won't use for anything. The two servers we have, they keep crashing, etc. Not sure what's the cause.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by DoubleD
    Not 1 power supply failure in 4 years. So I think I speak from experience when I say that Dell's are as reliable as the next guy.
    Four of our PE750 power supplies burnt out. We have to replace these power supplies. Besides that, all of our Dell servers are rock solid. PE750 is just cheap servers I guess.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

to be honest i just woudnt want the proliant a dell or ibm i could live with
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by FHDave
    VALinux is fine. We have a couple of them and they are OK. IBM Netfinity 4000R, then we won't use for anything. The two servers we have, they keep crashing, etc. Not sure what's the cause.
    ??????????????????
    VA Linux 1000 is 100% exact as IBM Netfinity 4000R. All parts are interchangable. They are the same machine of Network Engines 7000.

Why you have problems of IBM not VAlinux?

They should both have slot1 P3 with upto 2G RAM, none raid SCSI, etc, using special CMbus KVM cable.
    Trusted

I have over 40 Dell PE's everything from 350's, 750, 1550, 1650, 1750, 2450, 2550, 2650, 2850, 2600, 400SC, 420SC.

BTW, The DL360 G1's were some of the worst servers I have come across in my experience. We had a rack with 24 of them and it seemed like I was replacing drives at the rate of 1 per week. I think it was poor cooling design as these were one of the earliest 1U boxes.
    Call me crazy, but I have a feeling citibank might have a *few* more than 40 servers in their datacenter.

Dell PowerEdge?

I don't know maybe citibank got a bad batch. If Dell PowerEdge servers had a problem where their powersupplies consistantly died over and over I think the rest of the world would have heard something about it. I can also say that we have probably 7 or 8 of them at work that have been online 24/7 for years (350's - 1550's - 1650's) and we haven't had any power supply problems. We are selling them off (even tho they work fine) as it's too much of a pain to find parts for them if something did go wrong. Proprietary stuff that we don't want to have to deal with if something does break (if I remember correctly they even have proprietary fan connectors --at least our 1550's do just opened one up before selling it and noticed it).

Also, that citibank story is thirdhand....or you can take several people's own PERSONAL experience. Keep that in mind.

We've never lost a single power supply in a Dell server. May have been a bad lot of them or they may be more sensitive to power fluctuations in your DC.

We typically only run HP gear. We have a large amount of DL360 and DL380 (G3 and G4 lines) and love them. They are work horses and their service, when needed, is second to none.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by FHDave
    VA Linux is fine depending on the which model # you are referring to. Trust me.

-Raj

Re: Re: Re: Proliant DL360 vs Poweredge 1550 vs Netfinity 4000R

Originally posted by qllonceagain
    I don't know about G2. I was refering to old Dual P3 servers. When you say some server is better than other, do you mean speed, reliablity or something else?
    G1 = Generation 1
    G2 = Generation 2

Both G1 and G2 were P3 based.

G3 onwards were Xeon based.

I know DL360 G1 had some issues, but from G2 onwards, they were extremely solid.

DL360 G2 and onwards run circles around their equivalent Dell counterparts.

-Raj

Originally posted by seraph1
    Call me crazy, but I have a feeling citibank might have a *few* more than 40 servers in their datacenter.
    In fact they do, I have been to several of their DC's, but I would say that 40 is enough of a sample to get a good idea of the average.

In fact they do, I have been to several of their DC's, but I would say that 40 is enough of a sample to get a good idea of the average.
    huh?

I have experienced multiple PSU failure in both 2850 and 750 Dells.

Then I have 6450 machines that have been up for years w/o PSU failure. The new Dells are junk. IBM rocks.

--

I WILL ADD THAT DELL IS TOTAL JUNK -- I TOTALLY forgot about this -- I called them to request a new PSU, and they kept asking me all types of retarded questions, if i tried moving it to another slot, etc, I explained to them "Listen, I have 60 servers, I know what I'm talking about, it's dead - send me a new one" and they STILL HAVE NOT DELIVERED a new PSU.

It was like pulling TEETH just to get them to squeeze a PSU out of their warranty claims.

VERY DISSAPOINTED!
    Last edited by EuroVPS; 08-08-2005 at 06:50 AM.
    EuroVPS - Europe's Fully Managed Hosting
    Established 2004 - The European Hosting Authority

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast