1. Question Affordable Host Recommendations

Hello All!

I'm looking *yet again* for a new host so I'm asking you guys for help.
    I've researched this site, google and hosting reviews, I've looked into at least 50 of them......
    It's coming out of my ears.

I have a personal hobby website and I can't afford a lot.
    I use about 50 MB storage and would like at least 150 MB since all those stats and backup files (?) always add up to 100 MB. My bandwidth usage is 5 GB ~ 8 GB so 10 GB min.

I don't need a lot of features beside some CGI, a few emails accounts, cPanel would be nice. No setup or transfer fees unless it wouldn't go over my VERY limited budget ~ $30 US/year... Also accepting VISA.

Can anyone recommend a reliable one that wouldn't go missing in a few months with decent uptime? This will be my 4th host in 2 years - lack of space is usually the problem - so I'd like to find one where I could stay a while.

TIA for your help

- -
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-03-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Well to be honest your budget is a little low for that. If you can pay monthly can you push that up to $5 month? I think if you could afford that (would get you 6 months right off the bat) you'd be fine. 6 months on down the road and you should be able to come up with another $30.

You should be able to find plenty of good hosts if you do your research wisely. I would suggest upping the budget a tiny bit though.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

4. Thanks for the replies!

No I can't up the budget..... I shouldn't even be paying for this but I've had this site since 98 and added a new section in 2003 so I'd like to keep it - if I can find a way....

I did search beleive me... I've actually found some but there's always something not meeting what I'm looking for.. if it's not the disk space it's the bandwitdh or they don't accept Visa or they had bad reviews...... OUF

I'll wait to see if anyone knows one and I'll continue my search.

Thanks again

Your budget should be fine if you do a search here on WHT, take a look in the offers forums. Do a search of the host you have interest in on WHT etc... Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

The Solidinternet is offereing everything you want plus more for only
    (34 Australian dollars = 25.9692 U.S. dollars)

Here is there plan list http://www.solidinternet.com/internal.php

I have used them in past, and if you don't need any hand holding with webhosting then this is best.

I'm afraid you have a problem if you want a quality host with that kind of budget. Sure, go ahead with the abovementioned host, you *may* be lucky.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Thanks for the replies!

or they don't accept Visa

I'll wait to see if anyone knows one and I'll continue my search.

Thanks again
    If they accept PayPal, you can pay directly there with Visa with no problems.

Success!
    Online power for online people!

9. Ah really?... how does it work then?

Cause my paypal isn't setup up with my credit card # and finding what it involves made me dizzy so I've never done it.

Thanks!

Nearly all hosts accept Paypal nowadays, with which you can easily use your Visa.
    I'm sure you can find a reliable and affordable host, just have a careful look around.
    Good luck!
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

11. Well the past 3 I've used were reliable and under $25 US/yr.
    I've just cancelled with Livin4 because of a space problem but they were very good otherwise. So it exists.

Not all the sites brings revenues in... I know mine doesn't.
    If small companies can take advantage of a $5/mth hosting I can't see why a personal website wouldn't have reduced prices.

Thanks for the link abhigupta, it's in Australia tho but I'll check it out

I'll use the Host Quote on this site and see.

I'm not gonna quit so easily

- any comments on these hosts? -

> www.routhost.com
    > www.lowbudgethost.com
    > www.thekingshost.com (Confixx ?? is it any good compared to cPanel?)
    > www.asmarterhost.com (Plesk ? ... which stats comes with this?)

if what PowerDot says is really true than I'll have to dig the hosts I had rejected, again

(OUF)

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help!

- -
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-03-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Yes, any host that accepts PayPal has the ability to accept Visa through Paypal. Usually, they'll provide you with a form in the signup process that eases adding a credit card to your account.

You'd probably be better using cPanel if you were hosting a personal site. Not only does it come with a large range of features, it's the most supported and used control panel in the industry. If you were to move to another host, you'd find it easier to move with cPanel.

Best of luck in your search! =)

if what PowerDot says is really true than I'll have to dig the hosts I had rejected, again

(OUF)

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help!

- -

Well, Powerdot never lies.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...erview-outside

Hopes this help you.
    Online power for online people!

I think you should have no trouble finding a host, although your budget seems a bit low but so do your requirement

Look around, search in the offers section of the forums, use the host quote feature and you will find a host

Best of luck with your search

I understand your situation. I've been researching hosts for the last 2 days with similar requirements to you (COST!). Have you taken a look at doorhost.com and hostpc.com? They are two of several that I've narrowed my search down to based on cost, features and good feedback here on WHT.

16. Originally posted by cps
    I understand your situation. I've been researching hosts for the last 2 days with similar requirements to you (COST!). Have you taken a look at doorhost.com and hostpc.com? They are two of several that I've narrowed my search down to based on cost, features and good feedback here on WHT.
    Thanks but after hours and hours and hours (you get the idea) of research I've selected 4 hosts
    (webhostingbuzz; mymarkdown; cats-hosting; internetforall: that last one I'm really not sure)

I've emailed some of them, chat with others, I've read ToS, AUP & reviews I could find and whois.sc them
    Still need to check a few things... hopefully by tomorrow I'll have made my choice.

G'luck to you in finding one also!

The Host Quote is useless.. even if you specify what you want, hosts don't seem to read it before emailing you... I'm sure glad they haven't sent a thousand emails..

Thanks all

@ncy

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    I'm afraid you have a problem if you want a quality host with that kind of budget. Sure, go ahead with the abovementioned host, you *may* be lucky.
    I'd wager $1000USD that our reliability is higher than hosts that charge twice as much as we do.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

it's in Australia tho but I'll check it out

Just to clear this up, we are located in Australia however our servers and some of our staff are located in the US
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

i've been with ayksolutions.com since March 1st, 2005, and i haven't had many problems. i'm using their $18.00 USD/Year plan right now, and the worst problem i've had so far was their phpMyAdmin being a bit on the slow side (i solved that by installing my own) ...

the reason i chose to host my site with them was because they were willing to make a custom package for me. in fact, they added on free reseller features for multiple domains for the $18.00USD budget plan just cuz i had more than 1 domain to manage.