* Vendor gets lemonade stand shut down: "It's taking away business"

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...54/detail.html

What a ****ing moron. Article says they made a whopping $130 last year, and that owner is concerned about the kids taking business.

WHAT is this world coming to?
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

That should tell you how much the Sausage Vendor makes a year
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

The vendor's going to be home shopping right about now... what a bad buisness move. He probably lost alot more money now than before, and why would a sausage vendor care about boys selling lemonade??
    If they were selling sausages then yeah he would have a valid complaint...

Things must really be hard for that sausage vendor, either that or he is just an a**.

He is mad because he payed for a permit to sell lemonade as well. So he sells lemonade to.

What an *******!!!!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

SALEM, Mass. -- A sausage vendor has given two Salem boys trying to make a buck selling lemonade a lesson in cutthroat business techniques.
    He sure did.

getting a complaint from a local sausage vendor about the boys selling lemonade without a vendor's permit.
    He was jealous

The sausage stand also sells lemonade and pays $2,200 for a permit.
    Sausage seller Jarrod Clowery said he regrets ever calling police, and added he's been getting icy stares around Salem. Clowery told The Boston Globe he just wanted police to ask the boys to move their stand to a different location where the two operations wouldn't be competing.
    I feel bad for the sausage guy
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Wow .. that's pretty ridiculous, surprised the police even took his complaint seriously.

Wow I didn't read that far, about the permit part.
    I would've asked the boys if they could move, and might've offered them something, instead of calling the police. Bad publicity sucks for all businesses!

Reason for edit: Spelling

adb22791 - all publicity is good publicity.

Grown man against two little babies?

If he pay that amount yearly...then he must be making a lot of money to pay for a permit. Leave the kids alone...selling is much better than stealing.

It still seems absolutely wrong to me. It is nothing more than a bullying tactic. I could understand it a little better if they were adults who were competing, but they're kids, for crying out loud.

Originally posted by P-nut
    It still seems absolutely wrong to me. It is nothing more than a bullying tactic. I could understand it a little better if they were adults who were competing, but they're kids, for crying out loud.
    Indeed and I can't imagine $100 or so a year is going to affect his business much.

Or if it does - he should be in another business.

I don't know who I actually feel sorry for in this case.

On the one hand you have the kids who are trying to do something to make money, but on the other hand, you have a legally licensed business which they are infringing upon.

Imagine it another way, say some kids grab some buckets of soap and water and open up in the parking lot next to a car wash. Should the car wash owner's not be mad?

Or yet another, say a bunch of kids cook up some hamburgers and fry's and take them out along the street in front of a McDonald's. Should the manager of McDonald's not be mad just because they are kids?

I fully support the kids in their endeavors, but they should atleast learn respect for other businesses trying to do the same. If the kid makes lower sales because they aren't in the prime spot, they just don't have as much spending money. If the adult business owner looses sales, then that is possible a whole family who doesn't eat.

Those of you who are totally sympathetic to the kids should read the whole article, they setup 40 FEET from the sausage seller who also sells lemonade!

Also, just because the kids only made $130 the year before, doesn't mean the sausage seller didn't loose potentially several thousand in profit. The kids could have been selling a cup for 25 cents. The sausage seller on the other hand might have sold a cup for a dollar, then also sold a hot dog at the same time and who knows what else. So what was 25 cents in revenue for the kids, could easily have been $3-$5 in lost revenue for the sausage seller.
    Last edited by Jeremy Johnstone; 08-03-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Where should they have set up? No matter how far away they are...as long as they are in that area and people could see them, they would go toward kids to buy lemon from kids. How much cheaper was kids selling the lemonad for?

thats really messed up, yeah it is a legal business and i guess it could hurt his business, but cmon! they're kids! every kid had a lemonade stand once in his lifetime

but the relative distance of 40 feet...well i donno maybe 100 would have been better or smoething
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Jeremy Johnstone
    I don't know who I actually feel sorry for in this case. . .
    I don't think anyone wins. Although, the kids learned a valuable lesson.

I wonder if it would make a difference with those that dislike the sausage vendow for trying to protect what he's paid for if the kids were older.

They are 9 and 11.

What if they were 11 and 13?

How about 13 and 15?

What if they were 15 and 17?

Sure; let kids learn how to earn a dollar. But, let them learn how to righfully earn that dollar.

All they have to do, is go down and apply for a permit.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Those kids are going to be rich now...gotta love the news.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

thats B.S. now I think I have heard it all
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Yep, definity rich.
    The store owner must be more jealous. People call the cop on kids for everything now a day.

While I think the Sausage guy, at least by his comments, is a moron, the cops had no choice...the law is not selective.

The whole issue is really that it was handled poorly. Not by the cops but by the guy who complained. His first move should have been to talk to the kids and maybe their parents and nicely explain the situation and ask if they wouldn't mind moving to a different location.

Now, from the article, it seems all the sympathy is on the side of the kids and that all they need to do is apply and they will waive the fee.

Then they can go set up and give the guy the "business". Because at that point I would bet no one would buy from him if they saw the kids out of spite.

But the point that they were just "kids" is not the issue, just the way it was handled.

For the people who say the kids should move, I see fast food places near eachother all the time. Sometimes competition is close to each other, because the area is naturally good for whatever product (i.e. several newspaper vending machines in a train station, several food vendors at a baseball game, its natural). I think the kids should go get a permit and go right back next to the guy, they will get several more times business and press if they did that. In the story the government officals even said they would waive the fee for the permit.

I agree that had it been handled differently, the sausage vendor wouldn't be cast in such a bad light. Maybe if he'd asked them to move across the street or down the block or something, it would've saved headaches and bad press.

But the fact that he called the cops on 2 kids who were doing nothing but selling lemonade - not defacing property, not shouting obscenities at his customers - just totally blew it apart.

Let's put this in perspective - we see kiddie hosts pop up all the time, selling services for less than a buck a month. Do we try to call the cops/FBI on all those that we're certain don't have a legal business license?

Nope - because we all know those kids won't be making enough money nor be around long enough to cause our businesses serious long-term damage.

Just my $.026 (adjusted for inflation)

Its his right...

He paid to sell, they didnt... plain and simple...

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Looks like there's a happy ending:

The two sides signed a resolution in which the sausage vendor allowed the boys to operate their lemonade business using his corporate permit.
    Now that's more like it

A good ending after all. Though I hear people in the bigger cities make good money if you are in the right spot selling food and drinks.

I personally support the sausage vendor in this one - he has paid money to have that location. Sure he might have handled it differently but it's also how the media reports it ...