i need help on frontpage

Eariler today i went to try out doing web design using frontpage & its rather complicating & confusing.

I opened a template file in frontpage & link one of the menu in the navigation bar to a new page and added in some stuffs in it.

But what i found strange is that when i preview in the browser i click on the menu whereby i had a linked new page in it. I can only see the stuffs that i added into that page & not the navigation bar etc. appearing inside.

May i know whats wrong with it or do i have to copy & paste the navigation bar over to that page manually??

any kind souls help out pls ty.

Regards,
    Wan

What browser were you using to view this, Wan? It sounds like you are using one of Microsoft's built in applets to generate the navigation bar, if that is the case, you will be very lucky to get it working outside of Internet Explorer, this is just one of the reasons, using FrontPage is not the best idea in the World.
    - Jamie Harrop

How did you set up the navigation system? I have not really been a big fan of FP navigation (it is controlled somewhat by Frontpage server extensions which can easily become damaged from time to time). The nav system has something set up to show parent / child, etc and it seems like you might have applied something like that

im using the Internet Exploere Browser actually i dint really wanted to use fp i tried out dreamweaver but dreamweaver seems more complicating than fp so i choose fp.

regarding the navgiation system i dun really noe much bout it.

the file is a template file downloaded frm some sites & the navigation bar is already there.

???

Could you upload it and send us the link so we can take a look?
    - Jamie Harrop

Check under Tools - Site settings. I think everything might be there to help control the Frontpage navigation. You also might want to search a Frontpage forum as well.

Try changing to navigation view (View, Views Bar then click navigation view).

From here you will have a graphical flow chart of your sites navigation. It will look something like this:

_______
    _____| Home |______
    | |_______| |
    | |
    | |
    _______ _________
    | about | | Contact |
    |______| |________|

Hmmm ... my graphics are screwing up when i save it ...
    it should look like a mathematical 'flow chart'

___|____
    | |

http://suskiwebdesign.com/images/threeinnav.jpg

You can just right click on any of the pages and pick "new page" and this will automatically add the page to the navigation on every page.

If you are trying to add an already existing page (like in the case of a template) then toggle the folder list (View, Folder List). Find the page you want to add and drag it into the navigation view.

NOTE: If you want to change the order of the navigation, just drag the boxes to match the order you want. It will automatically adjust the navigation through out the site. If you change the file name (about.htm to about_us.htm or whatever), it will automatically adjust all of the links on all of the pages to match the new file name.

Also, check out the reports (View, Reports). It will show you all the load times for each page, unlinked pages, broken links, older files, etc, etc.

When you add a navigation bar (Insert, Navigation Bar), it will ask you how you want it to generate the links. For example, if you were on the Home page (illustrated above) and picked 'child level' for your navigation bar, then it would show the about and the contact page (see above).

If you were adding a nav bar to the about us page, you would pick 'same level' for the nav bar. Then it will have the pages from the same leve (about and contact). In the illustration above, if you added a 'child level' under the about us page, nothing would appear (because there is no pages under it (no child pages).

Another handy thing is that you can edit right online. Just pick "Open Web" and then type in the URL (with http://www.etc)
    This will log you in to your site live online. When you change something, just hit save and it is saved on the web. To back it up, just click the Publish button and then browse. You can make a folder on your local computer - on your C:\ drive ... just create a folder called backup or whatever. This is very handy when multiple people are working on the same site because you don't accidentally upload an old version that overwrites some elses work. Also, you can assign tasks/pages to certain people if you want (and leave notes for them to read when they login).

It is very handy on large sites with tons of pages. You can make one change and have it affect the navigation bar on a 100 pages (in seconds). You can also make changes in shared borders and add something to every page in one 'save'. Similar to using headers and footers.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by oshawa; 08-03-2005 at 10:18 PM.

I dont seems to be able to see the navigation view...dunnoe why can you guys tell me the proper way to link one of the menu on the navigation bar to a new page?? ty