Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

man oh man..I'm down with OPP

Just less than 12 minutes ago I get pulled over by the OPP (ontario provincial police) it wasn't a ride program, he actually was following me and then put his lights on. He didn't have a topset of lights which is why i didn't know he was a cop.

I'm doing 120km (limit is 90) no ID and am in my father in laws truck...AND apparently it has a blinker out.

cop: lisense and registration please?

me: uhh, don't have any ID sir.

cop: nothing at all?

me: nope as of early yesterday morning I seem to have misplaced it.

cop: do you suppose this car has any papers?

me: Yeah, I would imagine they are in the glovebox.

cop: well take a look.

(I give them to them he looks 'em over and give them back)

cop: I see. Anything to drink tonight?

me: no sir, i don't drink.

cop: well i stopped you because you were doing a nice clip (I assume he meant the speeding) and you have a blinker out (I didn't know until he told me)

me: really, it's out? (I grab the only ID from my wallet..two bank cards, one of them has my nickname on it and my work access card which does have name and picture) sorry, this is all I got.

(cop looks and hands it back)

cop: ok, well you take it easy. have a good night.

me: thank you sir.

Whew. That's it.

ps...the nickname on my card is 'speedy guns' it's actually on my bankcard, it's even more amazing that he didn't do anything than wish me a good night!

You were going ~20mph/30km over.

That's not too bad but you did get lucky. 10+ is borderline.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Originally posted by sid007

yeah, that and no id and not my car.

Originally posted by sid007

10+ is borderline?! where do you drive?!?

anything up to 20kph over is almost unconditionally safe in a 90/100 zone, and you can get away with 30kph over in many other spots as long as you're not weaving/overly agressive/driving like a jerk from what I've found..
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

your lucky they didnt give you ticket. usualy if they pull you over (opp) they give ticket for sure 99.9%

If you go 10MPH over where I live, your busted.

Originally posted by porcupine

anything up to 20kph over is almost unconditionally safe in a 90/100 zone, and you can get away with 30kph over in many other spots as long as you're not weaving/overly agressive/driving like a jerk from what I've found..
    he meant mph..

In australia your basically given a ticket if your more than 3 kilometres over the speed limit. Hows that for tough. Theres no excuse for going over the limit. You should be driving a bit under the limit, so then you never go over. 30mph over the limit is dangerous, and if you killed someone I would expect you would go to jail?

Originally posted by ilyash
    he meant mph..
    My take on American cops is that they're more interested in preserving the letter of the law, then the spirit. A lot of Canadian highway patrols follow the "you dont bother anyone, and we wont bother you" type of attitude, which in my opinion is by far the most correct one.

Personally I think the autobahn is a brilliant setup, and statistically speaking, has established itself as safer then many of our own highways (eg. the 401). Needless to say, being able to cruise in to TO at 4am doing 200kph legally would make my night, any night of the week .

Originally posted by Hostex Australia
    In australia your basically given a ticket if your more than 3 kilometres over the speed limit. Hows that for tough. Theres no excuse for going over the limit. You should be driving a bit under the limit, so then you never go over. 30mph over the limit is dangerous, and if you killed someone I would expect you would go to jail?
    Depends on the road system I suppose (and speed limit), I've seen many of the aussie roads, and they scare me frankly. Average speed heading between Hamilton, and Toronto is around 115-125kph during the "decent" hours (gridlocked during rush hours), where the speed limit is only 100kph.

I meant mph

Anyways, forgot the no id (reading multiple threads).

You definetly got *very lucky*

Maybe you just clicked with the officer? Seriously ever watch cops (The show) on TV?

Some of the stuff they know is not because they learnt it, it's because they were at one time doing it themselves that's why they know. Make sense?

I've gotten off a few tickets. I myself will call myself lucky on an occasion I rather not share
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Depends on the road system I suppose (and speed limit), I've seen many of the aussie roads, and they scare me frankly. Average speed heading between Hamilton, and Toronto is around 115-125kph during the "decent" hours (gridlocked during rush hours), where the speed limit is only 100kph.
    Standard highway speed here in Vancouver is 120, even though the limit is only 100.

As long as you are in control of a vehicle you can safely go upto maybe 20 over a limit on a motorway / clear road with good vision, the second you arnt in control of your vehicle you are a danger to others and then police will take more action,

You lucky soab
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

for english /american wierdo people like me google says :

120 kph = 74.5645431 mph

90 kph = 55.9234073 mph
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

omg! when i was on the road, my dads car had a blinker out, he got pulled over and fined!
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by MStar
    Standard highway speed here in Vancouver is 120, even though the limit is only 100.
    I drove from Etobicoe to Niagra a few years ago at 140 and was still getting passed --

Highway 20 though Quebec, I got passed by QPP doing 150 --- (I was following traffic)
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Haha, good topic name I thought this was going to be about that song .. actually heard it come on last week randomly .. whatever happened to Naughty By Nature ..

Anyway, you're really lucky man. One of my friends got like a 60 dollar ticket a few months ago for speeding, that's not too bad but still a lot worse than getting away with a warning

So to the Canadians on the board I have a question. Last fall I got a "failure to obey traffic device" (Didn't really stop for a right turn on Red) ticket. This was on PEI from the Charlottetown RCMP. Well I forgot about it and never paid it. It was only $70 too. Anyway what do they do when you don't pay it? I'm a U.S. citizen with a Wisconsin license, so they cannot suspend my license or vehicle registration. Basically I'm worried that they put some type of warrant out on me. I'll be crossing the border in to Canada through Ontario on Monday and I fear for the issues that may arise. i.e. Being turned away or getting arrested. Think I'll have any issues crossing the border?

Originally posted by The Islander
    So to the Canadians on the board I have a question. Last fall I got a "failure to obey traffic device" (Didn't really stop for a right turn on Red) ticket. This was on PEI from the Charlottetown RCMP. Well I forgot about it and never paid it. It was only $70 too. Anyway what do they do when you don't pay it? I'm a U.S. citizen with a Wisconsin license, so they cannot suspend my license or vehicle registration. Basically I'm worried that they put some type of warrant out on me. I'll be crossing the border in to Canada through Ontario on Monday and I fear for the issues that may arise. i.e. Being turned away or getting arrested. Think I'll have any issues crossing the border?
    Worst that can happen is they can inpound your vehicle in PEI to my understanding, which is exceedingly unlikely to happen (eg. if you were nailed for speeding or something in PEI). I doubt you have anything to worry about, of course the police in PEI will have some level of a record on you/your car indicating you owe them $$$, but aside from that, its a minor infraction (though shame on you, not obeying the signals!)

Originally posted by MikeM
    I drove from Etobicoe to Niagra a few years ago at 140 and was still getting passed --

Highway 20 though Quebec, I got passed by QPP doing 150 --- (I was following traffic)
    Dont you just love that traffic? I fail to understand why the speed limit is 100 nowdays. I mean sure when it was set, it made a lot of sense, but cars and drivers for the most part are signifigantly more competent and capable of sustaining higher speeds. When the average highway speed is 20-30kph over the speed limit, 24x7x365, you'd think that'd be a sign.

On that note, the new Mercedes actually stop to prevent collissions nowdays (cant wait till we see that in all cars!), where the driver can doze off, and the radar in front of the car will detect the speed, distance, etc. of the object in front, and slow down (if on cruise control), or brake as necessary to avoid hitting the object. I saw a bit on it awhile back on the discovery channel, where one of the engineers, walked out onto the track in front of a Mercedes doing ~100kph, and the driver just let go of the wheel and brakes, and let the car do the rest, it was quite impressive to say the least (consider how many fender benders that sort of technology would prevent in rush hour!).

The Islander - Stay out of PEI and you'll be fine. The Ontario cops won't care. We can't drive in BC in one of our cars becuase of an unpaid parking ticket.

porcupine - The speed limits were lowered during the oil crisis to conserve fuel. I think we are heading that way again. That being said, I think all speed limits should be increased significantly and enforced.

I agree, I think most cops around here simply enforce the 'spirit of the law'. I've been doing 30+ over the limit and still passed by cops (OPP and local) at night.

My only speeding ticket was for going 60 in a 50 zone, but the local police won't pull you over unless you are going 80+ in a 50 zone under normal conditions.
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

I find it hard to believe he didn't give you a ticket or anything... like you were so much over the speed limit, thats crazy luck

Originally posted by The Islander
    For a minute I thought you were on the Corner of belvedere and St Peter's road -

But that turn is screwy so not quite a right not quight stratight thru ---

Pei is the only place i know of that has a 5 way instersection.
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast