Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059

    Need Outlook Express help, please...

    A customer sent me a logo via attachment today. Even though I was expecting it, when I receive attachments, as a habit, I always right click and go to Properties just to check the header before I open it. So in Outlook Express, I clicked on the unread mail.

    My mouse turned to hourglass and stayed that way. And if I tried doing anything else on my computer, it was horribly sluggish. When I did Ctrl-Alt-Del, I saw that CPU usage was close to 100%. So I had to force OE closed.

    I opened OE again. I decided I'm going to just delete the damn email. But how? I can't even click to highlight it. So I clicked the email above it, held down Shift, and clicked the email below it. OK, so all 3 were highlighted. Cool. Clicked to delete. Same hourglass, same results.

    So what gives? How on earth can I get this friggin bad email out of my Inbox, out of my life??

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  2. #2
    try to turn on the computer in safe mode...go to OE and delete the email....
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,366
    Have you tried booting into safe mode to delete the e-mail?

    Maybe this search will help.

    EDIT: Connection's slow. empresasdehosting beat me to it.
    - Matt

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,177
    See if the demo of this program finds a corrupt DBX file. If so, the collective minds of WHT might help find you a free way to fix the file.

    http://www.scandbx.com/download.asp
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Thanks for your suggestions. But I thought of a "bandaid" solution, so I have already started this other option.

    I created another identity in OE. Then while in the new identity, I imported all my folders from the original identity (except for the Inbox, of course!!) and set the new identity as default.

    Done. I know I haven't removed that corrupt email, but it can just sit there in the (now) unused identity and rot for infinity!

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    OK, now I'm freaking out a bit (a lot)!

    I've migrated most everything over to the new identity. And set up my email accounts. However, when I was importing all of my saved messages, I received errors for about 10 of my folders. The error said it was not able to import from that folder.

    OK, so I switched back to the original identity and thought that perhaps I could just "forward" all of those emails to the email accounts in the new identity.

    But to my horror, all 10 folders were empty!!! It seems I have lost all of those saved messages. They are neither in my new identity nor in my old one. And some of them contained critical info.

    Is there any way to find those messages anywhere on my hard drive? (I'm screwed if I've lost them )

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,454
    Sorry Vito, I just now saw your thread after the WHT mishap.

    I thought Safe mode would work, but I was surprised it didn't. I don't think there is an undelete in OE (not familiar with it), check the trash though, if nothing then hope and run recovery programs for that exact name. Now would be a good time to get Vito on Thunderbird!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Nope, nothing in the trash. And I didn't try safe mode. I just went straight to transferring everything to a new OE identity.

    Heh, Thunderbird. Someone was trying to convince me today to switch to Opera Mail. I suppose I should start looking at a few options. Damn that Bill Gates!

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Daytona, FL
    Posts
    2,476
    Are you sure you're looking in the correct place? Do a search for all .dbx files and see if there's some you're missing. Too late now, but if you have critical emails, make a copy of your mailstore before you start changing things.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,454
    Originally posted by vito
    Nope, nothing in the trash. And I didn't try safe mode. I just went straight to transferring everything to a new OE identity.
    Yikes Looks like you can try recovering them, but I very much doubt you'll be able to recover it. I'm no expert on OE, but looks like you've lost them

    Originally posted by vito
    Heh, Thunderbird. Someone was trying to convince me today to switch to Opera Mail. I suppose I should start looking at a few options. Damn that Bill Gates!
    I love Thunderbird, I'm an RSS addict, so I love the integration between RSS and the mail. Amazing spam filter, Thunderbird certainly gets my vote. Did I mention it never once crashed on me?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

  11. #11
    A system restore will retreive your emails for you, I have recovered some in the past with it. However the greatest piece of advice I can tell ANYONE using any POP accounts, is to create a 2GB Gmail account, and then in your POP program (OE, Thunderbird, Opera etc..) create a rule for ALL incomming messages to be forwarded to your gmail account.. There's nothing better than a FREE, OFFSITE, AUTOMATIC mail backup that you never have to worry about..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Wow, great advice, Trifolic. I will do that right away.

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,718
    Originally posted by vito
    OK, now I'm freaking out a bit (a lot)!

    I've migrated most everything over to the new identity. And set up my email accounts. However, when I was importing all of my saved messages, I received errors for about 10 of my folders. The error said it was not able to import from that folder.

    Is there any way to find those messages anywhere on my hard drive? (I'm screwed if I've lost them )

    Vito
    Vito, I doubt OE is that bad unless somewhere you hit the delete key and have set up OE to delete mail on exit.

    Try This:

    In OE go to Tools > Options > Maintainence -- Store Folder

    Copy the store folder. Paste in Run

    Mine looks like this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sid\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    What do you see? All your folders etc should be there.

    I have 1600 messages in my inbox and my inbox.dbx is 19.2 mb.

    So you should get a idea of how many emails are there.

    OE should be able to import/restore from these files.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,718
    Originally posted by Trifolic
    However the greatest piece of advice I can tell ANYONE using any POP accounts, is to create a 2GB Gmail account, and then in your POP program (OE, Thunderbird, Opera etc..) create a rule for ALL incomming messages to be forwarded to your gmail account.. There's nothing better than a FREE, OFFSITE, AUTOMATIC mail backup that you never have to worry about..
    That is an awesome tip but I do not see a 'pop forward' rule in OE.

    Is this a plug-in?
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Originally posted by sid007
    In OE go to Tools > Options > Maintainence -- Store Folder

    Copy the store folder. Paste in Run

    What do you see? All your folders etc should be there.

    I have 1600 messages in my inbox and my inbox.dbx is 19.2 mb.

    OE should be able to import/restore from these files.
    Yes, I can see the files there in Windows Explorer. But when I try to import them in my new identity, I get popups for each folder that say:

    Not all of the messages from the folder [foldername] could be imported. An error has occurred.

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,718
    Originally posted by vito
    Yes, I can see the files there in Windows Explorer. But when I try to import them in my new identity, I get popups for each folder that say:

    Not all of the messages from the folder [foldername] could be imported. An error has occurred.

    Vito
    Hmmm...

    The good news: Files are there

    The bad news: Either OE is corrupted or the files.

    I doubt MS would let such a glitch happen but then again.

    Quick search revealed this:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...arch+dbx+files

    So Google Desktop search can help to recover OE mail; I don't know the details since I don't use the desktop search.

    2nd. option is software to recover

    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ress+dbx+files

    Edit: Many are demos with limitations; I'm sure you can find a free one if you search or just put down a few bucks
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Grrr. My head hurts. I'm gonna forget about this problem for the evening and deal with it tomorrow.

    Thanks for the help, sid007.

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  18. #18
    Originally posted by sid007
    That is an awesome tip but I do not see a 'pop forward' rule in OE.

    Is this a plug-in?
    In OE go Tools > Message Rules > Mail *click*

    Then create a new rule scroll down in box 1 and select
    [For all Messages]

    Then in box 2 select
    [Forward it to people]

    Then box 3 select the link and put in your email

    The box 4 put in "Gmail Backup"

    Done!
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,718
    Originally posted by vito
    Grrr. My head hurts. I'm gonna forget about this problem for the evening and deal with it tomorrow.

    Thanks for the help, sid007.

    Vito
    No Problem GL!

    Originally posted by Trifolic
    In OE go Tools > Message Rules > Mail *click*

    Then create a new rule scroll down in box 1 and select
    [For all Messages]

    Then in box 2 select
    [Forward it to people]

    Then box 3 select the link and put in your email

    The box 4 put in "Gmail Backup"

    Done!
    lol! How did I not see that 'forward rule.'

    Thanks!
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •