3.4Ghz w/ HT or Dual Xeon 2.4

One of my clients needs to upgrade their current server (P4 3.0 with HT, 1GB RAM) to either a P4 3.4Ghz (w/ HT) or a Dual Xeon 2.4 - Both of the upgrade configurations have 2GB RAM. Which of the 2 upgrade options would be better for a server with a considerable amount of MySQL usage?

Why is he upgrading from the P4 3.0GHZ w/HT? If it's because of cpu usage, I don't think upping it up 400MHz would make it too much of a difference as he continues to grow. I would advise him to take the Dual Xeon 2.4GHz.

If they aren't already running SCSI, it would be good to switch to a SCSI box. As well, the more RAM the better.

I doubt the processor would do much difference. Get SCSI or upgrade the RAM.

Well, he is upgrading the RAM and CPU from a P4 3.0GHz w/HT and 1GB RAM to a P4 3.4GHz w/HT or Dual Xeon 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM.

A P4 3.4 is 800mhz fsb while a Dual Xeon 2.4 corect me if I am wrong is only 533mhz fsb so this may have some impact in comparssion

I'd also recommend SCSI disks and qcache, that'll make a world of difference ....

I'd go with the dual XEON

I'd go with the Dual Xeon, with 2GB RAM.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

Another vote for the dual Xeon
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

scsi first..

Well, since people seem to be recommending different solutions, perhaps you can tell us what the problem is, that is urging your customer to consider an upgrade? Are they running into problems with memory, CPU, load, etc.?

The issue is with the load for the most part. I know that a SCSI would be better than the IDE that's in there right now, but we're aiming for as little downtime as possible. The decision was made already - Dual Xeon 2.4. The extra kick is worth the price difference.

I think the dual xeon option is right for your client.